Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

which truck for a 5th wheel camper?

I have read a zillion different articles on what size truck is needed for 5th wheel campers. As stated in a previous post I just purchased a grand design reflection which has a dry weight of around 8600 lbs. It's 33' 11' Wanted to keep the length below 35 for storage purposes. I'm crunching the specs on the 2500 and 3500 duramax for a puller. The trailer is well within the capabilities of the 2500 but I sure feel better if I get a 3500 dually. I'm going to drag this trailer through the Canadian rockies next year and then down to the Rockies in the US. The following year am planning a trip to Alaska. My wife doesn't want a dually but in the end it's my decision as she decided on the camper. Should be fair enough I would think. Another question, what about the single rear wheel 3500? On my trailer is it light enough to have a 3500 with just a SRW? Thanks!

2. Member
    I pull a 38' Heartland Landmark with a Chevy 2500 HD Duramax
    2001 ChampioN 206 Yamaha 225

3. Banned
    Sounds like you want the 3500 dually,get what you want there will be no if's later

4. Banned
    I have the larger and heavier Reflection 323BHS @ 11,000 lbs. dry weight. My F250 diesel goes it just fine equipped with air bags on the rear. My kingpin weight is 2,000 lbs. dry.

My hitch is a 16k B&W Patriot fixed hitch (on rails.). Someone doing a lot of towing might want a slider hitch if running a 6.5 foot short bed truck with the new puck OEM mounting system.

Unless you think you will ever upgrade to a larger, heavier fifth wheel, the 3/4 ton will do you just fine. The Reflection line of trailers was designed not to require the heaviest trucks--like the full size fifth wheels and toyhaulers require.

Since you are going to do some long distance travel, the diesel is warranted. I seldom take my trailer any distance and I could do just as well without that $8k engine option.

If you’re going to be doing the towing you mentioned, especially if you have a fair share of interstate travel, go with the dual wheels. Although a 3/4 ton will handle your 5th wheel just fine, the extra set of rubber on the ground makes a lot of difference. Especially when at highway speed and wind is blowing or big trucks are cruising by. Plus with the dually, should you ever step up in trailer size, you’ll have the truck to do it!

Get dodge dually, has air ride from factory and towing pkg, it'll pull that greasy string outta =^^= butt +

Might as well go ahead and get a Ford F450 , then when you upgrade your 5th wheel you will be covered .

You said you wanted a dually. Go get one.
    Bruce
    2019 20 TRX Patriot
    Mercury 250 ProXS Fourstroke
    HDS 12 Live - Console
    HDS 9 Live - Bow

9. Member
    Dually will definitely do better when the wind is blowing. Way less sway.
    If you're going to be dumb, you've got to be tough!

10. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    I have a Reflection 303RLS which weighs a little more than yours but I think it is pretty close in size and weights. What model do you have? 28BH is the only one I can think of close to those numbers. That has 1545 pin weight unloaded

I pull mine with a 250 short bed SRW and it does well. Pulled through a pretty rough squall in Kentucky and it handled fine in hard crosswinds.

Don't know about Chevy, but with Fords about the only difference in the 250 and 350 other than the options you can get like DRW is a set of overload springs added to the 350. The capacity differences are just on paper.

If you'll only use it for the 5th wheel, a dually might be worth considering. If you'll pull your boat with it, ramp parking lots will become a new adventure every time, and parking at a grocery store or restaurant takes planning.

I might add air bags to mine, mostly to keep the headlights aimed right, but other than that the truck is great.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

11. Banned
    I had my 3/4 ton F250 crewcab diesel long before I had the fifth wheel trailer. And when going from a 6000 lb. travel trailer to the fifth wheel, I purposely bought a mid size Reflection to match my truck's capabilities.

And my 36 foot trailer with 4 slides is substantially heavier than the trailer you want to tow.

Like I said earlier, go with a dually if you think you will ever go up in size. I am sitting in the North Georgia Mountains in our Cadillac campground as I write this, and we have no need for a heavier, larger RV or any heavier duty truck than what we already have.

12. Member
    I am buying the 29RS camper. The truck will be my full time ride.
    Quote Originally Posted by CatFan View Post
    I have a Reflection 303RLS which weighs a little more than yours but I think it is pretty close in size and weights. What model do you have? 28BH is the only one I can think of close to those numbers. That has 1545 pin weight unloaded

I pull mine with a 250 short bed SRW and it does well. Pulled through a pretty rough squall in Kentucky and it handled fine in hard crosswinds.

Don't know about Chevy, but with Fords about the only difference in the 250 and 350 other than the options you can get like DRW is a set of overload springs added to the 350. The capacity differences are just on paper.

If you'll only use it for the 5th wheel, a dually might be worth considering. If you'll pull your boat with it, ramp parking lots will become a new adventure every time, and parking at a grocery store or restaurant takes planning.

I might add air bags to mine, mostly to keep the headlights aimed right, but other than that the truck is great.

13. Member
    If your gut says go with the 3500 dusky then that’s what you should go for. I pull a 42’ Chaparral 390 QSMB with a 2500 equipped with airbags and it does just fine. I do wish I had bought the 3500 dually like I wanted though, so go with your gut.
    1999 Triton TR 21
    Colonial Beach, VA

14. Member
    I have a grand design reflection 337. I weigh in at 13500 loaded and was towing with a 2016 2500 duramax. Went through the mountains with no problem. I loved that Truck but I was over my pin weight and did not want to chance anything so I bought a 2017 f350 dually. Price is crazy but I never want to buy another truck and this thing can pull just about and fifth wheel. Look at the cargo capacity on any truck you look at. Subtract your pin weight, cargo both in the truck and on your pin, driver and passenger weight, and fuel weight. As long as you are still in the positive ( I would leave 10% difference) you should be good. You can go
    even farther and look at axle weights but that cargo is the big one and each truck will be different due to options. More loaded the less you can pull
    Brett Treece. Caledonia MS
    2010 Skeeter ZX225. HPDI 225

A 2500 will do what you want to do but I would get the dually for 2 reasons. First, if you are pulling around the mountains out west the dually will be more stable and second, it sounds like it is what you want. I love my truck but I wish I would have bought a dually.

16. Member
    Thanks for all the responses. After lots of consideration I went with the 3500hd duramax SRW. The truck will be my daily driver when we are not traveling. Parking, drive through windows and other tight spots are tough or not possible with the dually. Windy conditions in the mountains will be a concern so will just have to see how it goes. We pick the camper up next month and start another phase of our retirement lives. Looking forward to the change. I tried convincing my wife to follow me pulling the phoenix 920 but all i got was a dirty look. lol.

17. Member
    I pull a 38 ft Dutchman Toy Hauler with a Kawasaki Mule inside fully loaded with a F-350 Ford Dually. Its my daily driver as well pulls very well.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeSF View Post
    Thanks for all the responses. After lots of consideration I went with the 3500hd duramax SRW. The truck will be my daily driver when we are not traveling. Parking, drive through windows and other tight spots are tough or not possible with the dually. Windy conditions in the mountains will be a concern so will just have to see how it goes. We pick the camper up next month and start another phase of our retirement lives. Looking forward to the change. I tried convincing my wife to follow me pulling the phoenix 920 but all i got was a dirty look. lol.
    I spoke with Grand Design and they told me the frame was strong enough to add a hitch and pull as bass boat.
    Bruce
    2019 20 TRX Patriot
    HDS 12 Live - Console
    HDS 9 Live - Bow

19. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by berudd View Post
    I spoke with Grand Design and they told me the frame was strong enough to add a hitch and pull as bass boat.
    You will never catch me double towing anything. RV frames are just not that strong, and my 56 foot current rig length is long enough for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Bamaman View Post
    You will never catch me double towing anything. RV frames are just not that strong, and my 56 foot current rig length is long enough for me.
    You're choice of course but according to the people that built the RV he bought it is strong enough.
    Bruce
    2019 20 TRX Patriot
    HDS 12 Live - Console
    HDS 9 Live - Bow

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast