instructions needed to remove idle module

Motor is a 1986 v6 135 Hp serial # 0B211672. owner states it will load up while going thru no wake zones but runs great at WOT turning 5-5500. He has replaced plugs, fuel filter, bulb, fuel lines. compression is 120-126 range. carbs have been cleaned but not rebuilt according to owner. I need info on removing idle module and new timing number. I plan to check all electrics and then rebuild carbs with new kits if nothing shows up in electrics tests.
    Any and all help is appreciated.
    thanks
    rcb130

2. Member
    This is pretty common for the early 2.0 & 2.4 liters. When idling for any distance, trimming the motor up a little to get the exhaust relief slots out of the water to relieve some back pressure helps a lot with this problem. I learned that here. If the fuel pump hasn't been rebuilt in a while, you might want to do that too. The rubber diaphragm had stretched in mine adding to the problem.

3. Member
    Remove the idle module wires from the outer switch box. Remove the idle module, and throw it in the trash. On the terminal where the white/black module wire attached to the outer switch box, there should be a white/black bias jumper wire going to the corresponding terminal on the inner switch box (the top left terminal on both boxes). If there isn't one, you need to make and add one between the boxes. You really need a factory service manual and a dial indicator in order to follow the procedure to set the timing correctly. I set my timing to 22* BTDC at cranking speed on a 2.0 liter 150hp. I learned this from Don & others on this forum too.
    Last edited by OnTRAK; 10-03-2017 at 10:08 AM.

4. Member
    OnTRAK,
    thanks for the info. Idle module is gone. Checked stator and found it to be out of spec. Will see if owner wants a new one.
    Thanks again
    rcb130