Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Best Mono for Topwater

Best mono for spooks/ poppers. Ive tried a few and i want one that doesnt absorb water in 2 casts. And yes ive tried braid and i hated it.

Two questions: What did you hate about braid? And how do you feel about leaders on braid as an alternative?

To your first question...if it's just treble hooks finding their way into the braid, see the second question. If it's more than that (missed hooksets from setting too soon, or fish getting off?), I think maybe you might look toward your rod as a culprit rather than the line. A more moderate action and/or stepping back a little on power would probably help there.

The reason I ask the second question is because I've had EXCELLENT luck with the flotation and especially the durability of Maxima Ultragreen, but it's a true leader material - it comes on small spools and is really stiff. It's not something you'd want to spool up even if you could find a big enough spool. This way you can maintain the castability and hook-setting power of braid while adding some shock absorption of mono and keeping the braid away from treble hooks. It's also tough - this isn't a line that gets a little nick in it and snaps like so many others.

Otherwise (and I suppose this is toward the first question you ask), my feeling is that finding a mono that doesn't absorb water is going to be a tradeoff between manageability and castability. What I mean by this is that it seems that the lines that are the most manageable are also the ones that seem to absorb the most water. Trilene Big Game is the one I'd look towards to meet your request, but it's going to be tougher to cast and will hold more memory. PLine CXX is another I've used that will likely fit the bill.

I'm sure others will have different opinions and your mileage may vary...just my thoughts!
    Last edited by DrewFlu33; 10-02-2017 at 02:46 PM.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360, Garmin 106 SV, LVS 34

3. Member
    The thing i didnt like about the braid is when it does decide to tangle up with treble hooks its a pain to deal with. The other thing i didnt like about it was i seem to miss more fish on braid. The fish would come up and roll at the bait as apposed to mono where they would just flat out eat the same bait

4. Member
    And rod wise i am using a powell max 3d 705cb which is a mod fast mh composite crankin rod

Quote Originally Posted by jcronebassmaster View Post
    The thing i didnt like about the braid is when it does decide to tangle up with treble hooks its a pain to deal with. The other thing i didnt like about it was i seem to miss more fish on braid. The fish would come up and roll at the bait as apposed to mono where they would just flat out eat the same bait
    Going to a mono leader would solve the first issue, though I also understand that some don't want the hassle of using a leader nor do they like the idea of an extra knot creating an additional failure point. I totally get that.

On the second issue: Have you observed the fish acting differently on the same day with a similar presentation? I really don't mean to be condescending though I think it comes off that way. The reason I ask is that I was absolutely convinced the fish were half-assed swiping at my frogs when I first switched to braid and I couldn't get a hook into them. Turns out I had been so used to the stretch in the mono that when I switched to braid, I was pulling the lure away from them before they could get it. Switching to a frog rod with a little more of a tip combined with counting "1 Mississippi" in my head before swinging solved the issue for me. Then when I went to throwing braid on buzzbaits and found myself with the same issue, I immediately put that reel onto a mod-fast rod and went to catching the fish I had been missing earlier.

EDIT note: Missed the rod post. Doesn't sound like the rod is an issue. That should give them time to eat it. Have you experimented with coloring the braid with a sharpie or something along those lines? Either way, the mono leader *should* solve any issues braid causes with line-shy fish as well. Though again, I totally understand not wanting to mess with or trust a leader.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"

6. Member
    The braid I tried was 30 pound power pro in white but i see what you are saying. I havent tried them side by side on the same day but i still think they are shy on line.

I've been throwing 50 lb moss green Sufix 832 on most of my topwaters (save for the frogs that get 65 lb or 80 lb depending on the pike situation). I'll usually do a mono leader on treble hooked walking baits to avoid the hook hangups. I think I've been using 17lb Ultragreen for that, though maybe it's 15 or 20. I've not noticed any issues with line shyness, but fish are different everywhere for sure. It's also possible that there's a difference between that white and moss green braid that the fish are seeing. I know that I've taken a sharpie to faded braid a few times before tourneys after hearing some pros talk about doing it and though I never felt that it made a difference, maybe it really did. In the same breath, I'd almost have guessed they'd be able to see the darker colored stuff silhouetted against a bright sky easier than white, so who really knows...

Regardless, I'm of the belief that confidence means everything. If you're not confident in something, it doesn't much matter what I or anyone else tells you - it needs to change. Hopefully some others will jump in and have some good thoughts and suggestions.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"

8. Member
    For spooks i like 20# mono i didnt like braid.
    For poppers 20# braid is better
    Frogs and buzzbaits 65# braid

9. Member
    Sunline Defier Armilo is awesome.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CTGalloway21 View Post
    Sunline Defier Armilo is awesome.
    +1

I use the regular Defier in 19 and 22lb. Little more stretch compared to Armilo and slight improvement in casting distance.

Just look at line diameters. I believe 19lb Defier has your typical 12lb diameter. 22lb is around your typical 15lb diameter.

Big game #15
    Chris Beverly
    2005 Champion 206 Mercury Verado 275!!!

12. Member
    Big game

Sunline Super Natural mono. 16# which I use for topwaters has the same diameter as 12# Trilene XL which I used previously.
    Read the Tackle Tour review.
    BassCat Sabre FTD
    Mercury 150 Optimax
    "It's just fishing"

I use Stern 20# test for every reel owned, I snag a fish its coming to da Boat! No Frills no problems.

I either use straight braid or braid with a big 12-15lb game leader. It has been my experience that when fish are willing to hit moving baits like a topwater they are rarely line shy. May be more related to mood or environmental conditions than the braid.

16. Member
    Braid Use braid Nano Fil for my Pop R and Whopper Ploppers. Perhaps the fact that I try and not look at my top water bait as its moving along might help. I also use a fast tip and loosen my brake to just be able to pull line off in which the fish almost hooks himself. For me that combination works best. For shakey head and senko presentation is braid with about a 6 or 7ft flour leader. I am going to try braid with my drop shot next.

17. Member
    Trilene XL...

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ogrich31 View Post
    +1

I use the regular Defier in 19 and 22lb. Little more stretch compared to Armilo and slight improvement in casting distance.

Just look at line diameters. I believe 19lb Defier has your typical 12lb diameter. 22lb is around your typical 15lb diameter.
    +2. Great line--casts great. I like both Armilo and Defier.

19. Member
    P-line CXX or Izorline XXX

Trilene XL
    2021 Phoenix 920 Elite / SHO 250
    Bullet 21XD / 250 XB (Gone to a great home in LA)
    "There is no such thing as a bad day fishing!"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast