Nitro Z18 Questions

My brother-in-law is looking at buying a new Nitro Z18. We have a few questions that we are looking for some input:

1. Looking at either a 150 Optimax or a Merc 150 four stroke. Is there much difference in the performance on this hull between these two motors?
    2. Will a static jackplate help the overall performance on this hull.?
    3. Will dual Power Poles impact performance if mounted to a jackplate - especially holeshot? He had an older 17' Nitro with dual PowerPoles that had issues with hole shot.

Thanks

2. Member
    My opinion based on experience with my Z18:

1) Get the most HP you can. max out the allowable power with the 175 Pro XS. If that isn't an option, I would go with the four stroke. Reports say they perform almost as well as the 175HP.
    2) A jack plate is a must in my option. It makes set up, and getting the boat to perform at its best, so much easier. If there's room in the budget, the hydraulic plate is a huge improvement over the static plate. I run an 8", but I have seen good results from 6" plates as well.
    3) I have only one 8ft Power Pole Blade, but it effected performance a small amount, about 1-2 mph. I can only assume that 2 would have made a bigger impact.
    Last edited by TXZ21; 10-05-2017 at 06:54 AM.
    '17 Nitro Z21, 250ProXS serial # 2B399616, 24p Fury4, 12" Atlas, Apex 16 @ console, Apex 16 & Apex 13 @ bow, Mega 360, Ultrex, 8ft blades

3. Member
    The 175 PXS is well worth the $1400 upgrade, especially if adding poles. I also recommend the hydraulic jackplate. At the very least get a standard plate. He will be very pleased with the performance going that route. We have a Z18 on order for a customer with 175, hydraulic plate, and two 8 foot Blades. It will be a great setup. There really is no sense in underpowering a hull and then loading it with accessories. The hull is designed to be most efficient at max HP. If cost of financing is an issue, $1400 translates into a very small amount on a $30K boat.

4. Member
    If you do a lot of traveling with the boat you may want to consider a tandem trailer. Sure is nice.
    2001 Champion 206, Yamaha 250 V-Max hpdi
    1997 Nitro Savage 884, Mercury150 XR6, 8" Slidemaster Jack Plate