Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Detwiler jack plate

is the new detwiler jackplate as good as the old one Gona try and fix mine but if I can't I will have to get one or is there a different one that is just as good as detwiler that could be another option for me thanks

2. Member
    I can't speak for the new SeaStar (detwiler) plates but I'd look at Hydrodynamics new hydraulic plate as well.

The Hydrodynamics plate looks really nice..
    BULLET 20 XRD/250 Merc Sport XS
    www.ncboatguy.com

4. Member
    2 of my brothers and my dad have the sea star detwilers. They are great no problems whatsoever. I have the older version right before seastar and would trade because the new ones are smoother and faster. Great customer service also. I have a friend with one on his 20' bullet. It had a seal leak and sea star sent him a whole new unit for nothing, not even a shipping cost.

Great to hear !!
    BULLET 20 XRD/250 Merc Sport XS
    www.ncboatguy.com

6. RIP -April 30,2023
    the new detwilers are wider than the old ones and faster. that said, the old ones are great plates too. there is 3 versions. old one with pump in boat, new(old) one with pump in jackplate and the newest version made by seastar which looks very well build. heavier duty than the older ones. i have beat mine to death and havent had a moments trouble.

7. Member
    Do you have a new one or one of the older ones

8. RIP -April 30,2023
    there is 3 models. the newest made by seastar, the newest made by detwiler(this is the one with the internal pump) and the oldest version made by detwiler that has the pump in the boat. mine is the newest made by detwiler. all 3 are awesome plates. there was some differences from the oldest version to the newest(detwiler made) which includes access window to replace/tighten side bolt and internal pump that i can tell. the newest seastar made has a wider foot print, heavier built and faster than the previous version. ive got the newest detwiler made version but id run any one of them. detwiler is the best hydraulic plate made that ive ever used. you keep one long enough, you gonna have to replace seals, bolts etc just like anything else on your boat.

9. Member
    Prairieville, Louisiana / Zolfo Springs, Florida
    The biggest thing about the new Sea Star JP is that you have to pull motor to change the bottom two bolts and you have to use the 1/2" bolts because of head spacing unlike the old detwiler.
    I like to run 9/16" grade 9 with eco coating bolts but can't do it on the Sea Star!

10. RIP -April 30,2023
    strange, james has 9/16 on his and didnt have to do that

11. Member
    Got the leak fixed have a tournament coming up at the end of the month gona decide then if I will get the old one powder coated or get a new one if I go the new route will my set back plates for old detwiler plate work on the new seastar plate or will I have to get new plates

12. RIP -April 30,2023
    yes they will. bolt pattern is still the same

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cbailey View Post
    strange, james has 9/16 on his and didnt have to do that
    On mine the top bar that goes across the JP will not pass the upper bolt heads. That stops them from going all the way down but from there up is fine.

14. Iowa/Wisconsin/Hunting & Gun Lodge/Stroker Moderator Wags's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by spider1 View Post
    On mine the top bar that goes across the JP will not pass the upper bolt heads. That stops them from going all the way down but from there up is fine.
    Is this on your New boat? I did not think you were running a "Seastar" Detwiller on it.
    LeaLea

15. Member
    Yep it is the new boat! I guess it still runs as it has not been out in a while between work and storms and now the clean up to my place... I lost 3 very large live oak trees. So it's looking like next year before I go again!

16. RIP -April 30,2023
    did you put on the 4" seastar?

Quote Originally Posted by spider1 View Post
    Yep it is the new boat! I guess it still runs as it has not been out in a while between work and storms and now the clean up to my place... I lost 3 very large live oak trees. So it's looking like next year before I go again!

17. Member
    6”

18. aka Strokedyamaha StrokerSmoker's Avatar
    IMO detwiler /sea star has made the best jackplates for over 20 years....hard to go wrong with that....they usually seal up fine with a seal kit have rebuilt several over the years....my current plate is 18 years old. they are hard to find used too they sell quickly

Hi performance parts or a Yamaha power head visit
    Hydro-Tec's web site @ http://www.yamaha-rebuild.com/
    Paul Hottman Hydro-Tec's Pro staff since 1998

19. Member
    Detwiler IMO is the best hyd. plate you can use on our boats, I've had mine since 1996

20. Member
    I've had them all except the Bobs j-plate copy, Detwiler really is the best.
    Mr StrokerDee :thumb

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast