Thread: 2017 300 XS

2017 300 XS

Ok my engine went down couple months back, something to do with electronics and fuel, they replaced a a part and it ran fine, had it out three times and Friday I was idling right after unloading, it just quit, would not even try to fire, I squeezed the gas several times and nothing. Brought it to dealer on Saturday, they squeezed the gas bubble and it fired up, they ran it in the test tank and also took to the lake and ran it for a good while, there were no codes on the computer, they have no idea what could have caused this, he told me it would probably happen again, anyone heard of this and maybe have any suggestions, thanks.

2. Member
    Sounds like you have issues with your fuel supply if it works fine on a aux tank

3. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Please see the Forum Announcements, and be sure to provide the REQUIRED info. Thanks!

Any possibility you pulled the safety lanyard loose?

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

4. Member
    my 2016 300XS kinda did the same thing, replaced the pulse pump, then the compressor, then the squeeze bulb, I think we have it solved now

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    Please see the Forum Announcements, and be sure to provide the REQUIRED info. Thanks!

Any possibility you pulled the safety lanyard loose?
    No the lanyard was not pulled, that was the first thing I checked

6. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Did you possibly plug your onboard charger in between the time you pulled the boat from the lake, and the time the dealer attempted to start it?

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

7. Member
    No, it went straight to the dealer, after I picked it up at the dealer I ran it for 4 days, probably 60 gallons of gas, not one issue, I think he said it had 62 hours on it, i have a championship tourney next week, i sure hope it does not break down again.

8. Member
    Did the Dealer actually do anything to fix the problem? If not it will happen again. Nothing fixes itself.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage View Post
    Did the Dealer actually do anything to fix the problem? If not it will happen again. Nothing fixes itself.
    All he did was pump the fuel up, I tried that as well. No codes or nothing, he said there is a check valve between the tank and the engine that could have stuck, he said just a wild guess.

10. Member
    He was probably referring to the anti siphon valve..

11. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    FDV...

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    FDV...
    What is that ?

13. Member
    Fuel Demand Valve. Newer EPA regulation to contain fuel vapors.

14. Member
    Ran it for 4 more days, probably 80 gallons of fuel, never missed a lick.

15. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    That's good... make sure you're pumping the bulb firm before each engine start, and feel free to let us know if you need any further assistance!