Roachboat

Ultrex pedal cables

Have 3 fishing buddies with ultrex TM and all 3 have had cables broken once or twice. Units 4 to 6 months old. Anyone heard much about this going on.

2. Member
    Yes, and Minn Kota is well aware of it. they are looking into the reason ans trying to fix the issue. I don't believe it is a common problem, but still a problem. All you can do now is replace the cable.
    Minn Kota is constantly looking to improve their product.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bradrodfish View Post
    Yes, and Minn Kota is well aware of it. they are looking into the reason ans trying to fix the issue. I don't believe it is a common problem, but still a problem. All you can do now is replace the cable.
    Minn Kota is constantly looking to improve their product.
    This is correct ^^^^
    BBC Sponsor since 2006: (870) 773-3474
    Mon - Thrs 8am - 5pm Central
    Friday 8am-12pm
    Garmin Certified Dealer and Installers: Call us for all your Garmin Electronics needs!
    ASC for: Garmin, Lowrance, Minnkota, Humminbird, and Powerpole.
    [SIGPIC] http://www.jonestrollingmotor.com
    [/SIGPIC]

Guess I'm lost here---- Are we talking about "Ultrex pedal cables" ??
    Or the cable used to raise and lower the unit ??

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fishnfireman View Post
    Guess I'm lost here---- Are we talking about "Ultrex pedal cables" ??
    Or the cable used to raise and lower the unit ??
    We're talking about the steering cables from the footpedal to the transmission.
    Friday 8am-12pm
    Garmin Certified Dealer and Installers: Call us for all your Garmin Electronics needs!
    [/SIGPIC]

7. Roachboat
    I've changed cables on motor guide before, never have on Minn Kota fortrex on scale of 1-10 if I had cables, difficulty and time for someone with normal hand tools to change. And how cussing and swearing lol. Thanks

Well I had a cable go on me also but it was my fault. With the steering cable getting stuck under the foot peddle more then once it finally snapped. So now I made sure it will not do that again.
    Richard Woods VA Beach,VA
    US Navy ETC/SS Retired
    SKEETER ZX225 / 225 SHO W/Power Pole CHARGE
    GET HER DONE! (Helix 10 G3, 12 G3,Garmin ECHOMAP 106 /livescope and M360 Bow all NMEA2k)
    Relion lithium batteries for T/M and LithiumPro for Motor)

9. Member
    has happened to me once already
    2017 Skeeter ZX 250

Quote Originally Posted by sheeterhdip225 View Post
    Well I had a cable go on me also but it was my fault. With the steering cable getting stuck under the foot peddle more then once it finally snapped. So now I made sure it will not do that again.
    My fix
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Richard Woods VA Beach,VA
    US Navy ETC/SS Retired
    SKEETER ZX225 / 225 SHO W/Power Pole CHARGE
    GET HER DONE! (Helix 10 G3, 12 G3,Garmin ECHOMAP 106 /livescope and M360 Bow all NMEA2k)
    Relion lithium batteries for T/M and LithiumPro for Motor)

11. Banned
    Must be a bad batch. I know 4 folks that got them on the first shipping run and the cables have been fine. Two of them guide.

I won't talk about the other issues that are now corrected ..... lol

12. Member
    The first Ultrex I had the cables broke in 4 months. Praying it was a one time thing because I don't have a service center even remotely close to me and boxing it up is a Hugh pain in the a$$, not to mention the down time!

Add me to the list. Mine just broke yesterday and I'm starting vacation this week. I had planned on fishing about every day. To say I'm pissed is an understatement. My Ultrex is about 5 or 6 months old.

What are the odds of Minn Kota sending me a new Ultrex? $3000 is a lot for a trolling motor and I'd prefer it be replaced, not taken apart and repaired.

14. Member
    Wont send another trolling motor. An asc can get you on the water
    Friday 8am-12pm
    [/SIGPIC]

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by C130 View Post
    Add me to the list. Mine just broke yesterday and I'm starting vacation this week. I had planned on fishing about every day. To say I'm pissed is an understatement. My Ultrex is about 5 or 6 months old.

What are the odds of Minn Kota sending me a new Ultrex? $3000 is a lot for a trolling motor and I'd prefer it be replaced, not taken apart and repaired.
    They won't send you a new one, but an ASC should have it fixed in about 30 minutes. That's what it took for mine to be replaced.

2022 21PHX

Previous boats:
    2017 Phoenix 721 ProXP
    2000 Triton TR186

Wish I had someone locally that could do it that quick. No one seemed to have the parts available and would ASC told me 5 days before he could look at it then 10-12 days for parts. Minn Kota has agreed to overnight the parts. I would think that a Minn Kota ASC would have steering cables in stock but evidently not.

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by C130 View Post
    Wish I had someone locally that could do it that quick. No one seemed to have the parts available and would ASC told me 5 days before he could look at it then 10-12 days for parts. Minn Kota has agreed to overnight the parts. I would think that a Minn Kota ASC would have steering cables in stock but evidently not.
    I ran into a similar problem when I got mine repaired. I got the last cables the guy had. This has been a known issue and it sounds like the replacement parts aren't keeping up with the problem. I hope you get it fixed in time for your trip! I was fishing a tournament when mine broke and drove 2 hours each way just to get mine fixed in a pinch for day 2. I feel your pain.

2022 21PHX

Previous boats:
    2017 Phoenix 721 ProXP
    2000 Triton TR186

18. Member
    On an Ultrex where does the long steering cable attach in the foot pedal, does it go around the drum or does it attach on the other side? Now, at the head of the trolling motor, does the long cable wrap around and down on the right side of the drum ?

19. Member
    Answered your PM, but since you resurrected this old post, I'll post it here also. The long cable goes into the footpedal base, around the pulley then up to the slot/connection on the bottom of the rocker. The short cable goes into the footpedal base and straight to the slot/connection on the rocker. At the cable drum, the long cable goes into the right side of the cable conduit and wraps counterclockwise on the drum. The short cable goes in the left side of the cable conduit and wraps clockwise on the drum. This means the two cables will "cross" in the sheath.
    John
    Friday 8am-12pm
    [/SIGPIC]