Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Cracks in gelcoat

Does anyone else have cracks in their gelcoat? I notice last week I have cracks in my splash well on both sides and also where the console on the passenger side meets the inside of the top cap on my boat. Is this anything I need to be concerned about?

As long as they don't open up when you bounce on the motor don't worry
    2005 Stroker 2010-250pro xs

3. Member
    They all eventually get the splash well cracks it's just cosmetic .
    ​BULLET 21XRS 250 SHO

I see it a lot more often if you use a motor mate over a regular transom saver. I'm sure if you took a poll of who has cracks and who don't and which type motor support you'd see a correlation.

xpress x19, 200ho G2, aluminum sawtooth cut prop, paper sack tackle storage, ugly stik pro team, color c-lector

I agree dusty

6. Hagen
    I agree with alli, and from what I can tell you see it alot more with white boats.
    Want to buy old river2sea bully wa frogs.

7. Member
    It shows really good in yellow gel also. Everytime I see it it makes me sick..

8. Member
    I have them in my splash well too, I also use a motormate. I had concerns about the motormate even though I used one on my last boat with no problems, I called Tom at the factory and asked what they recommended and he said the motormate type. I have been watching the cracks on mine to see if they grow and they have not, they are very fine cracks like you see in most any boat.
    Bullet 21XD, 250 PRO XS

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jwebre74 View Post
    It shows really good in yellow gel also. Everytime I see it it makes me sick..
    Are these cracks in your new one?

10. Member
    Yes sir 2017 sdc

11. Member
    I have used a motormate type on mine since 2007 when I bought it new. No gel cracks.

Ill always believe there is more stress on the transom while running at the speed Bullet is capable on the lake is more than anytime on the trailer

Do they have rehab for this addiction,cause I need to go!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by rambo274 View Post
    I have used a motormate type on mine since 2007 when I bought it new. No gel cracks.

Ill always believe there is more stress on the transom while running at the speed Bullet is capable on the lake is more than anytime on the trailer
    My Bullet is an '08 and no cracks in the splash well either. I have a swivel eze lock n stow. I like the MotorMate design better though. There will be more stress on the water than the road.

2008 BULLET 21XD 2007 Merc 300xs

My little ranger went for over 20yrs with no splashwell cracks then i won a motormate in a tourney and got splashwell cracks in one summer using it. I dont want those cracks in my 2007 bullet. Both of those boats have spent about half of their life in some rough water too and never got em. I always hear about the water being rougher on em than trailering but i know if i go to the back of my boat sitting in the water and jump on the motor the boat moves. If its on the trailer and i shake it the boat doesnt give its solid. To each their own is the best thing to say about a motormate.

xpress x19, 200ho G2, aluminum sawtooth cut prop, paper sack tackle storage, ugly stik pro team, color c-lector

14. Banned
    That's one good thing about my a black boat. The hairline cracks don't show up too bad in the corners.

Do what I do and not look then u will never know

16. Member
    Ill keep an eye on it to see if it travels anymore. It's hard not to look at it when knowing they're there. If it was an older boat I think I could accept a little more . Everytime I wash it I want to cry. �� ��

Quote Originally Posted by Jwebre74 View Post
    Ill keep an eye on it to see if it travels anymore. It's hard not to look at it when knowing they're there. If it was an older boat I think I could accept a little more . Everytime I wash it I want to cry. �� ��
    Bullet will fix em.....they fixed my friends 21 and it was 3 years old.
    BULLET 20 XRD/250 Merc Sport XS
    www.ncboatguy.com

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by alli ss View Post
    My little ranger went for over 20yrs with no splashwell cracks then i won a motormate in a tourney and got splashwell cracks in one summer using it. I dont want those cracks in my 2007 bullet. Both of those boats have spent about half of their life in some rough water too and never got em. I always hear about the water being rougher on em than trailering but i know if i go to the back of my boat sitting in the water and jump on the motor the boat moves. If its on the trailer and i shake it the boat doesnt give its solid. To each their own is the best thing to say about a motormate.

I agree with you about the boat sitting still in the water, but when the big Merc starts up and you push the hot foot wide open, that's when the transom is put under the most stress.

Do they have rehab for this addiction,cause I need to go!!!!!!!!!!!

19. Member
    That's good to know, If it gets any worse I'll give Tom a call and see what I'll need to do.

20. Member
    I'm surprised a new boat would have them, my 2004 never had any that I could find

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast