Performance setup question

I have a bullet 21sdc/300xs with 16" setback and running a performer 4 bc prop. I usually trim up to get the most out of it and then start to raise my jackplate to get maximum speed. Yesterday I noticed as I start to jack my motor the bow of my boat slowly drops. I'm wondering if thIs is normal or not?

It's normal somewhat. It sounds like you may have been a lil over trimmed, raised the motor and lost some lift. Bullets don't like to run with the bow high up in the air. Normally neutral trim or a just a tad more.

3. Member
    Did your rpm's go up as you raised it up and did your speed go up too or drop?

4. Member
    I trim up until I don't get anymore speed, then I begin to jack my motor.

5. Member
    Does it drop in speed and just gain rpm's? I normally raise mine close to where I'm going to run it then trim all the way but I don't run a Bullet but I'd try that. You really need to take it out and try it both ways and see which one works the best for you.

6. Member
    No it doesn't drop in speed, I can actually trim up a little more and gain a little more speed before I jack my motor up but I'm afraid the front will drop on me and make the boat do a 180 at 80+ mph. I'll try jacking my motor 1/2 way where I normally would run it then try raising my motor to see if it'll be any better.

7. Member
    You are on thin ice there . 3 buddy's and my dad have ran Bullets for years the one friend was Trying to get more out of his 20 ft bullet . Nose dropped and Dam near through him out of the boat at speeds well into the 80s . You are right on the edge of pain . Be careful . A little more and you will see where you just were at a second ago . He was bruised from head to toe. He sold his Bullet and dad did to. Nose dropping is a sign of being right there on the edge of disaster . Witch I think you already know from your last post .

Quote Originally Posted by Jwebre74 View Post
    I have a bullet 21sdc/300xs with 16" setback and running a performer 4 bc prop. I usually trim up to get the most out of it and then start to raise my jackplate to get maximum speed. Yesterday I noticed as I start to jack my motor the bow of my boat slowly drops. I'm wondering if thIs is normal or not?
    Have you checked your PTP measuments in relation to the jackplate dial.? Your just jacking it too high....ask this over in the Bullet board and ask about this....
    BULLET 20 XRD/250 Merc Sport XS
    www.ncboatguy.com

9. Member
    Will do... Thanks

Be safe....sometimes wringing out that last mph is a recipe for disaster!!!
    Just can't leave well enough alone!!

98 Stratos 273 w/ 150 Faststrike

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by crank68 View Post
    Have you checked your PTP measuments in relation to the jackplate dial.? Your just jacking it too high....ask this over in the Bullet board and ask about this....
    This is a really good answer that I'll try to elaborate on. Your boat (Bullet) does not like to run with a high bow like most other bass boats do (Allison, Ranger, Stroker, Champion, etc.) It's a little different animal...likes to run flatter. You are overtrimming if you are trying to get the bow up like the other boats. Your bow drops cuz your blades are losing bite at the level you are trimmed to...and yes there could be a blowout in your future running high trims and then raising the jackplate. As long as you are trimmed flatter you can jack that thing up very high compared to the other boats mentioned. I am trimmed very slightly above neutral when I'm hauling azz (rooster 1-2 feet above cowling max). My jack plate is manual so I don't have the luxury of adjusting that on the fly but it is currently set at propshaft 1" above the pad and it gets clicked up another 1/4" each time I run it...looking to get to 1.5" above and possibly a even 1.75" above. I just switched from Merc to Yamaha so I'm still going up incrementally to dial it in. Definitely take pad/shaft measurements at different known jackplate heights so you will know where your limit is (about 1.5" above and possibly as high as 2" with that 16" jackplate). It will also drive like a dream trimmed right and jacked way up. I'm assuming since you have a 300xs that you are running a sporty (or a coned) lower...which is a must to run the motor that high and still get sufficient water pressure.

Also, Bullets like through hub props with the bell on the back to lighten up the stern...they do not like short barrel with no bell or over hub props unless they are very light models Bullets with gobs of horsepower on them. A belled and properly vented Bravo (drilled stern drive application) runs awesome on these boats. I run one of those in a 30 pitch with humongous vents in it and couldn't be happier.

2 things you want to take note of while running are water pressure and rooster tail height. Just watching those 2 things will tell you where you are at on each of those. Big rooster = trimmed too high...low water pressure (below 15psi) = jacked too high. Find your sweet spots from there.
    96 Bullet 20cc, Yamaha OX 250+, 10" jack, labbed 30" Bravo LH w/1.25" exhaust pipes, counter rotating Bob's lower, it goes faster when you spin it the other way...

12. Member
    Did you get a chance to make more runs and figure out the prop height setting? I see you are in Houma. There are several knowledgeable fellas around here that can get you set up correctly.

13. Member
    I would move this to the Bullet board and get those guys to help you out theres a bunch of good guys around you to help, Setting up a performance boat like bullet is diffent than other boats and like said before the last thing you want to do is blowout or hook it.