Thread: Whats my speed?

Whats my speed?

Ok, here's what I've got:
    2003 X21, dual console, most all bells & whistles
    2004 Yamaha 250 HPDI
    Yamaha 25P T1 prop
    I've got about 50lbs of tackle including rods & tackle.
    About 200lbs of flesh.

I'm scootin across the lake at 5500rpm, trimmed up as far as possible, light wind & little ripple.

How fast should this boat be goin?

2. Banned
    70 ish?

3. Member
    Well...I shut it down at 73, started to get a little chine-walk, seem like there just wasn't enough boat in the water. I believe there was another few MPH left in the pedal, but once it started to wobble, I figured it was time to start backin off the gas.

I was just curious if this about right speed wise.

Your numbers are really good...I had a flashed SHO (300) that would only do 75 mph...That's with two guys and lithium batteries...Summer months...

Hydraulic plate? Bring the motor up more...You shouldn't have that much chine...

5. Member
    Hydraulic plate? Bring the motor up more...You shouldn't have that much chine...[/QUOTE]

I've thought about that, but I really don't need to go that fast very often. So I'll stick with what I've got.

I will get my prop re-worked this winter, but not sure how much or if that will help.

Is the 73 mph GPS speed? Do you have a manual jack plate and water pressure gauge? If so start bring it up tile water pressure drops but no lower than 10 psi. The 250 HPDI will turn a Yamaha T1-27prop in winter months here. If you have the nerves to hold it between 5800-6000 rpm you will see the lower 80s gps. I've seen 82.7 gps with 2 men,1 live well full , tx tackle load for 2 and 3/4 tank of gas.

12 lbs 9 oz caught on 4/28/1975 Lake Eufaula

You have the fastest X21 that I have heard of with a 250...

Quote Originally Posted by bassmasterffej View Post
    You have the fastest X21 that I have heard of with a 250...

My fishing buddy did say something about how fast it seemed we were running when we got to a spot down river that he wanted to to fish.We had less than an hour to fish and about 10 miles up river. I didn't check the GPS speed tile we had taken out.

Sometimes the tell tale "Top Speed" of the graphs jumps around and you get an exaggerated number. I know I have checked it a few times where it showed 5, even 10 mph faster then I knew I had gone. Think this might be the case here, or you have a extremely fast boat. Only way to know is to watch the gps real time to see how fast it stays at, sometimes you will see those spikes but they happen quick so a lot of times you dont see them while driving...
    2021 Phoenix 920 Elite / SHO 250
    Bullet 21XD / 250 XB (Gone to a great home in LA)
    "There is no such thing as a bad day fishing!"

It has been (82.7) seen more than once with different people watching a Yamaha GPS speedometer gauge and Humminbird GPS Speed. The Yamaha HPDI 250 is stock and turning over 6000 rpm when you see over 80 mph. The pad on the X21 has had some work on it to remove the ruff spots.

11. Member
    I have to agree with KK here, he has been using that 82.7 number for years on here as his top. I know my x19 with the older 200 usually ran around 67-68 loaded and then last spring on the Mississippi i had a run of 73.8 mph for a few miles. Just right combo of rpms, temp, and jackplate in my opinion. I am sure i could do it again in the same conditions.
    2013 Xpress X19