Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Flow Rite automatic Drain Plug (Install Option)

I always loved the idea of a automatic drain plug. What I wasn't thrilled with was the installation instructions that called for you to drill a 1 3/4 inch hole through the splash-well or cockpit area of the boat. Also; equipment does break and companies change specifications or go out of business and then your stuck with a 1 3/4 hole in your boat. I decided that I needed the control actuator in the battery compartment where I could reach it inside or outside the boat. Materials I used; Flow Rite Auto Drain Plug Kit ($74 -$89), Conduit Strut hanger 2" or 2 1/2 inch galvanized (94 cents!!) Right Angle drill attachment ($15-$25), 5/16 drill bit, 1 inch long 5/16 bolt, nut, steel washer and rubber washer, masking tape, "Rubberized" electrical tape.

I install the plug, actuator wire and cable per manufactures instructions. I mount the actuator in-out switch flush to the outside edge of the strut hanger. Put masking tape on inside lip of battery hatch fiberglass door frame where you plan on drilling the 5/16 hole for hanger bolt. Drill hole with angle attachment. Remove masking tape and replace with rubberized tape the same size as the hanger base. This protects the finish (no one sees it with door down) and gives the hanger something to bite into. Put bolt in hanger, bolt through hole, install rubber washer then steel washer and tighten down with nut. It's a very solid installation which can be removed in twenty seconds by removing one bolt. It's tamper proof because it's concealed. It's practical because I stand on the right side of my boat when I launch to access the power and tilt trim on my motor. I can also easily access it from inside the boat.
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Member
    Nice! I wish id thought of that!
    2019 Ranger Z520C
    2019 Mercury 250 ProXS 4S
    Twin 8' Powerpole Blades
    Lowrance HDS Live 12
    Lowrance HDS Live 9

Excellent idea.
    What cable length did you order for the Flow-Rite?
    Ome other question. Will it fit inside the existing metal sleeve used for a standard plug, or do that have to be removed?
    BassCat Sabre FTD
    Mercury 150 Optimax
    "It's just fishing"

4. Member
    That's a really neat and cool install, I like it...
    Joefish
    2007 Ranger 178DVS
    Evinrude ETEC 150

<*)}}}><

5. Member
    I used the 6ft cable option. The plug installation was very easy. The plug and sleeve are standard size even the two screw mounting holes line up. The whole thing took about 30 minutes. The hanger is rigid steel and the actuator is glass nylon. You can really tighten that thing down and you can not move it. solid!!!

6. Member

7. Member

8. Member

Angle drill attachment

Very nice job. Resembles the other installs where they make a plate to mount it in the batt compt. I agree with not drilling that huge hole

xpress x19, 200ho G2, aluminum sawtooth cut prop, paper sack tackle storage, ugly stik pro team, color c-lector

10. Member
    Good job.

Here’s another option that I’ve been happy with.

11. Member
    That"s very professional looking and the parts are not expensive. I think I just needed an install where the selector button was right in my face when I opened up the back compartment lid (yeah don't read into that to much). I was going to have a part made but for 94 cents and a quick trip to the hardware store I opted for this install.

12. Member
    Wish this post was here earlier! I mounted mine in the splash well of my Triton. It took 2 days to build up the courage to drill that hole!!! lol

Where did you get the angle drill attachment?

xpress x19, 200ho G2, aluminum sawtooth cut prop, paper sack tackle storage, ugly stik pro team, color c-lector

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by alli ss View Post
    Where did you get the angle drill attachment?
    There are many different makes of angle drill attachments. You can buy them for $15 to $125.00 dollars. Home Depot or Lowes has the Dewalt model I used for $25.00. They had another model there for $15.00. It's a handy tool that I know I'll use again.

I got a cheap chinese one that came in a kit like from a regal tool bin. Its lower than harbor freight quality and it has to run real slow i figured the dewalt one was way better. I would actually use it a lot.

16. Member
    Looks great, I used a piece of flat stap metal and it worked great.

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by milehighbass View Post
    Wish this post was here earlier! I mounted mine in the splash well of my Triton. It took 2 days to build up the courage to drill that hole!!! lol
    Same for me.

I spent the money on the flowrite only to find that my boat plug is larger, and the flowrite wont work...What a dissapointment, guess I will continue to crawl under the boat....
    LD

Quote Originally Posted by ldbass55 View Post
    I spent the money on the flowrite only to find that my boat plug is larger, and the flowrite wont work...What a dissapointment, guess I will continue to crawl under the boat....
    LD
    My boat has a flared metal through-hull fitting too, and I installed the Flow-Rite housing inside it - I just had to turn down the O.D. of the plastic Flow Rite housing a bit on a lathe so it would fit. Post #17 on this thread:

http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread....=1#post8592534

*duplicate*

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast