Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

What's a Stratos 254 worth?

Hey Guys,

A local car dealership took an old Stratos 254 in on a trade. It has a 70 hp Johnson on the back. I have been lusting over it and stopped by to see what they wanted for it and check it out a little closer. It seems to have set out in the sun quite a lot and is very faded. The seats are in OK shape. The engine is faded. It has a trolling motor and fish finder on it. All in all, it looks like it has been rode hard and put up wet.

My question for you is what is it worth? I am very handy at fixing things and could redo the deck, and even rebuild the engine if need be. I haven't had a boat in 15 years and the one I owned had an old 25 hp Johnson that would run forever, so I am partial to old Johnson engines.

I'm trying to think of all the things I need to check on it. Here's the list, please tell me what I am missing.

1. Deck condition (looking for rotting, etc., under the compartments.
    2. Outboard engine compression
    3. battery age
    4. trolling motor operational
    5. trailer tires

What else am I missing? I am sort of a boating novice, so I'm looking to you guys who know a thing or two. I'm very experienced with engines, just not marine engines.

The guy is asking $3,500 bucks for it and I think that is high considering I saw the same model in mint condition for $4,000 in the newspaper with a 70 hp Mariner on the back. That is is the only comparable boat price I have been able to find.

Any thought? Your feedback is greatly appreciated!

Danny

2. Member

Re: What's a Stratos 254 worth? (dheisner)

I bought a 92 254 with a 70HP Evinrude 2 years ago. I found a guy through a friend of a friend who was a perfectionist,and kept it stored,covered,cleaned etc. The blue gelcoat looks like the boat is new. Everythign works,and it really looks like it has never been fished with. I was very very lucky to find this boat. The only thing I have done is installed a 3 bank BPS on board charger,and replaced all 3 batteries,just because I wanted new ones. It has the original factory Evinrude trolling motor also. I paid $ 4,500 and It think it was the best deal I ever made.
    If the boat was in worse shape,I dont know what it might be worth. I looked for a while and I saw a lot of boats that lost their finsh,and were left in the sun. I wouldnt give you $ 2,000 for any of them I saw.
    If I can help.let me know.

If you hear banjos upstream,turn and paddle in the opposite direction.

3. Member

Danny...first, welcome to BBC!
    Old boats can be lots of fun, or lots of work/expense. THE BIGGEST thing i would check is the transom. Then, check the transom. If ya think about it, then check the transom. Nearly anything else can be fixed or doctored up.
    If your handy at repairing outboards and there's nothing major wrong with the old Johnson,i wouldn't worry about buying an older one. Also, check all the pumps,etc., just so ya have an idea what you're gonna have to repair/replace. Check the trailer out(bearings,etc) and check for any rust that may cause serious problems. Also, check out the transom.....
    DO NOT buy it unless the dealer will let you test it on the water first!!! Even then, remember, all prices at dealerships are negotiable.
    Hope it all works out for ya..keep us posted, and good luck

BOB GASKINS TARPON SPRINGS,FL
    07 TR186 150 OPTI

4. Member

I have had my '93 254 since '95 and it's a great boat. Just make sure everything works and like the other guys said, check the transom and motor. These little boats were equipped pretty well and seem to hold up really well.

5. Member

Re: What's a Stratos 254 worth? (Brad254)

If the newer Stratos boats are as well made as my 254,I will stay with Stratos. I am only considering another boat because the ride in this 15' boat is tough on days when there is a lot of wake on the water.

6. Member

Re: What's a Stratos 254 worth? (trisonmike)

I still think the 254 rides pretty good for it's length. It rides as good or better than some longer boats I've been in, although it isn't always a dry ride in rougher water.

7. Member

You are right about the length being an issue with rough water.
    My 254 is so tight after fising all day, I stopped pulling the plug after trailering because nothing ever comes out. My bilge pumps work, but have never been used.
    The front of the console is square,and I just installed a 4 place rod holder from BPS,and it is a great fit. I always had rods tangled and I broke one getting it in the storage box on the boat. that solved that problem.

8. Member

sent you an IM

9. Member

Brad, I am trying to learn how to post pics on this site. I would like to see yours also.
    I went out with a guide over the weekend,and we fished his 21' Triton. The wind was stiff, and the water was rough. Just when I begin thinking about a newer larger boat, I remind myself that I do not have a boat payment,and I am happy with my 254. I talk myself out of it all the time. I would like some large,well padded seats for my boat. Have you tried installing new seats?

10. Member

From what your describing I would think 2500.00 would be more reasonable. By the time you buy it and spend for extras you could of had a 4000.00 boat.
    1999 Javelin R20
    225 Evinrude Ficht

A bad day on the water is better
    than a good day at work

11. Member

Re: What's a Stratos 254 worth? (stratostn)

I was actually thinking of offering them $2,000. The boat has been sitting collecting dust for a while now on their lot (a couple of months?). I haven't gone by to check the transom yet. I think I'll do that on the way home. I go by the boat every day on the way home and it is only a mile from my house.

Thanks for all your feedback!

Danny

12. Member

Mike, if I can remember I'll get some pics of mine. It's in need of some cosmetic work...carpet and seats still. The gelcoat needs a good polishing or coat of clear or something on the top, it's getting pretty rough. But it is paid for

13. Member

Just a little help, (I hope) If you can get the engine model, and remember just what all the boat is equipped with, you can go to http://www.nadaguide.com, and type the info in and get a general idea as far as retail , it will you low, to high range.
    I know it was pretty close on my javelin 379te when i bought it. good luck

14. Member

Brad, I got lucky because the 254 I bought,was never left outdoors,and was not fished in much. The person who bouth this boat in 92 only fished in it 30 times in all those years,but he started the motor in his garage often. The only flaw was the 254 sticker was a little torn,so I removed it. Other boats of this age I looked at were rough. I agree it's nice not having a boat payment.

15. Member

No boat payment will be awesome! I checked the boat out a LOT closer ont he way to work this morning. It is a '91 model. The engine is a model J70TLEIE. The transom looks good. It has a Hummingbird TCR101 fish finder. The transom looks good. I even crawled up under the boat and looked it over. It has an Evinrude BF2K, which I understand is a 12V trolling motor from the model number. Someone please correct me on that one if I am wrong. The prop is a little beat up, but not too bad. The tires are a bit dry rotted. My guess is that they will have to be replaced fairly soon. It has 2 12V batteries that look to be in good shape. I couldn't tell the age. The seats are starting to come apart at the seams. The carpet seems OK, but nothing to write home to mother about. The transom looks good. The low end retail on it according to NADA about $2,500. The high end woudl be about $2.700, so unless the guy is willing to drop the price considerably, he's going to have to wait for a sucker to buy it.

I think I'm going to wait another month until he gets desperate and then insult him with a low enough offer that he would smack my momma'. If the boat is still there and he's willing to dicker on it, it was meant to be. If not, God has something better for me..... like an new 18' boat with a 150 horse Johnson on the back a 24V trolling motor, 2 fish finders, great storage areas, and in immaculate condition.... and enough money to keep gas in it. Did I mention the matching truck that goes with it.......

You all have a great day and thank you so much for all your feedback. It has been extremely helpful!

Danny

16. Member

Hey Guys,

I finally got by the lot when there was someone there to ask questions. The owner of the lot said he is selling it for an older fella that retired and his wife gave him permission to buy a brand new boat, so he is selling his. He just had the engine completely redone. He ran it long enough to break it in. I opened the top up and it looks like a new engine. It looks like he replaced every part under the hood just about that could be replaced and spent $1,100 on redoing the engine. They ran it just long enough to break it in and that is it.

The finish below the rubber is still in pretty good shape. Above the rubber is weathered, but I don't think its beyond a good buffing. I may be able to turn it back into a new looking boat with the exception of the seats and the carpet. The seats are pretty worn looking, but the carpet isn't in too bad of shape.

Now to go to work on the wife.....

As a side note, my mother-in-law threw a charity fishing tournament on Logan Martin this morning. We only had 40 boats, but this is the first time she has done one. I had to inspect the boats before blast off. Talk about wishing you had a boat. Makes me want this Stratos all the more!!!

You all have a great weekend. I have to go get some consulting work done so I can afford this boat!!!!

Thanks again for all your feedback. You have all been VERY helpful.

Danny

17. Member

Danny,
    If you get the time, come by Aeromarine and let's talk. I'll be there the rest of this week, incl. Saturday.

Tom
    Tom

18. Member

Re: What's a Stratos 254 worth? (tbonefisher)

Did you buy that boat?

19. Member

Not yet. I'm still working on by better half. Besides that, I won't buy it unless I can pay cash, and so I'm doing some extra side work to raise the money. The boat is still there though. Maybe by the time I am ready, they will REALLY be ready to deal!

20. Member

I paid cash for my 254,and it is a great feeling not making a boat payment,and an even better feeling not having my wife reminding me of a boat payment.
    Then again, I see some amazing boats flying by me at 70+ leaving me in their wake. I can't say at times I want one of those,and I may at some point.

I have got to learn how to post a pic on this forum. I have the camera and can save them to a file. I just cant figure out how to post them. I want to show you my boat,and what fantastic condition it is in.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast