Braid on spinning rod vs wind

I know everyone has their opinions on braid with a leader and just straight flouro but heres my question. The lakes i fish are extremely clear this time of year and long casts with light tackle is a must. When the wind kicks up just a smidge i am fighting with my braid wanting to "sail or float" and I'm curious if anyone has anything they do to help with that. I'm using a leader between 6 and 8 foot and i thought mabey longer leader could help. Opinions?

My main issue with this type of thing is getting my bait to the bottom. In those cases, drop the tip of your rod right after your cast so the braid is riding on top of the water and use the surface tension of the water to let more line out as needed to get it on the bottom before closing your bail. Once it's down you can usually just watch the bow in the line. In some instances it will actually make detecting bites easier as you can visually see bites when that bow in the line pulls tight that you wouldn't have seen otherwise, or where you might have caused a fish to let go when you lifted up to feel for bites.

If the wind is sailing your bait after it's already sunk, a longer leader may help a little bit, but I think your only choice is going to be a going heavier. The good news in all this is that I've often found that if the wind is blowing that hard, going with a really lightweight presentation isn't as necessary. That chop on the water makes them more aggressive.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360, Garmin 106 SV, LVS 34

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DrewFlu33 View Post
    My main issue with this type of thing is getting my bait to the bottom. In those cases, drop the tip of your rod right after your cast so the braid is riding on top of the water and use the surface tension of the water to let more line out as needed to get it on the bottom before closing your bail. Once it's down you can usually just watch the bow in the line. In some instances it will actually make detecting bites easier as you can visually see bites when that bow in the line pulls tight that you wouldn't have seen otherwise, or where you might have caused a fish to let go when you lifted up to feel for bites.

If the wind is sailing your bait after it's already sunk, a longer leader may help a little bit, but I think your only choice is going to be a going heavier. The good news in all this is that I've often found that if the wind is blowing that hard, going with a really lightweight presentation isn't as necessary. That chop on the water makes them more aggressive.