Thread: New to Smoking

Somewhere between here and there, but not in the middle.

New to Smoking

I finally received clearance from the boss/CFO to get a smoker. After a bit of probing around and asking others about it, I've come to the conclusion that the Masterbuilt Front controller Electric smoker, in the 30 inch size is the deep end where I plan to jump in. I've also plan on getting a few smoker "how to" books to help me along. Remember, I am a beginner, but is a 30 inch size going to work for me. It's just my wife and I at home as far as mouths to feed. After reading all the stories and seeing all that awesome looking food in this forum, I got to try it myself.

2007 Legend Alpha 199 / 225 ProXs

Yes it will be just fine. I have the MES 30" and it's just me and the wife, The 30 will do a lot of meat but if you do any big cuts of meat or a large turkey you'll wish you had the 40" the 30 will start to fill up fast if you're doing food for more than about 6 or 8 people. I made the mistake of doing ribs for my mom and stepdad and my MIL and SIL so now when I cook ribs I have to do enough for them also, LOL. I also like to do a stick of bologna and pork loin at the same time I do ribs so the smoker fills up fast. One book I highly recommend is Low and Slow by Gary Wiviott, he talks about stick burners but everything he says can be directly applied to electric. It's a very straight forward and no nonsense book on BBQ.

40"mes on sale a couple of times a year at Academy. just wait for it
    "If People Concentrated on the Really Important Things in Life, There'd be a Shortage of Fishing Poles." - Doug Larson
    "Peace is not the absence of turmoil but the presence of God" Jo-Ann Thomack

4. Banned
    I got the 40 inch Christmas at Bass Pro Shop cheap. I am still learning how to use it.

5. Member
    I started with the bigger MES and cooked on it till it doesn't work any more.

Even cooked on it for my daughters wedding. That was 4 butts, and 6 whole chickens!

One thing I want to add about smoking. Google A-MAZE-N Smoker. They have an open one that you put pellets in, as well as a couple tubes. Those puppies are worth their weight in GOLD! They add a good deal of smoke, don't really add heat (unless one gets to over running), AND.... can even be used in colder months to 'cold smoke' in say the MES with it turned off.

I still have my MES cabinet and use it for cold smoking with the A-MAZE-N smoker. Also add it to my big stainless grill, and even my pellet smoker at times to put extra smoke/flavor in foods.
    Later,

Dixie Chicken

12 Nitro Z9 DC, 4 Color Flake
    250 Pro XS, SmartCraft Gauges
    Bobs 12" w/Hole shot plate
    NightFishion HD8 rubrail, W/Nav Lights
    Oznium Red/Blue 10mm/6mm LED Bolts
    4-Channel Remote Lighting Control
    HDS Gen 3's, TotalScan, 3DSS
    Red Power Pole 10' Blades
    KVD Edition Hydrowave

6. Ya, I Live on Rainy Lake! basscla's Avatar
    I started out with an electric Brinkman smoker and it did a good job. I just bought a Weber smokey mountain charcole smoker and used it for the first time yesterday. The Weber did a great job and the flavor of the chicken was amazing. Might want to consider the Weber.

Somewhere between here and there, but not in the middle.
    Well, after two weeks thus far, I've smoked ribs, pork roast, and bacon wrapped cocktail wieners. The ribs were an outstanding success. Everyone who tried them assumed they were from a restaurant. They were the best ribs I've ever made or eaten. The pork roast was bacon wrapped and was only a tenth of a degree less awesome than the ribs! I have started another monster undertaking.

2007 Legend Alpha 199 / 225 ProXs

Quote Originally Posted by Flyjunkie View Post
    Well, after two weeks thus far, I've smoked ribs, pork roast, and bacon wrapped cocktail wieners. The ribs were an outstanding success. Everyone who tried them assumed they were from a restaurant. They were the best ribs I've ever made or eaten. The pork roast was bacon wrapped and was only a tenth of a degree less awesome than the ribs! I have started another monster undertaking.
    Congratulations, and welcome to the long road of smoking addiction. Now just wait until you do a turkey breast for Thanksgiving. What smoker did you go with?

Welcome to the club
    "If People Concentrated on the Really Important Things in Life, There'd be a Shortage of Fishing Poles." - Doug Larson
    "Peace is not the absence of turmoil but the presence of God" Jo-Ann Thomack

10. Member
    A couple things I make on my smoker that are always a hit.

Poppers - Hollow out jalapenos and fill with cream cheese.Then wrap with bacon and stick a tooth pick through to hold it on.My friends do something similar but they cut the pepper in half and remove the seeds etc. They then fill with cream cheese and add half a little smoky and wrap with bacon.I like both. Smoke until bacon is cooked.

Meat candy - Take thick cut bacon and lay it on a tray.Take brown sugar and coat the bacon allowing the moisture of the bacon to adhere the sugar.Once it is sticking repeat several times as you want a THICK coating of brown sugar.Remove from the tray and put in smoker. This will be tough as you want to bend the bacon as little as possible to keep the sugar from falling off.Smoke until somewhat crispy. Its stupid good.

Corned Beef - Smoke a corned beef brisket…I think this technically makes it a pastrami but whatever its great.Its also a very easy way to smoke brisket as brisket is a tough bugger to learn when you are new.