Comparing rod blanks

This morning I took advantage of the sale Get Bit is having on NFC blanks, and ordered 2 blanks, both from the IM series, and I'm wondering how the North Fork IM blanks compare to Rainshadow's Immortal line of blanks? I absolutely love the Immortal blanks I've built on. Are the IM blanks from NFC as good as the Immortal blanks as far as sensitivity goes?

The NFC blanks I ordered are the IM-MB709, and the IM-DS6107. The MB709 is, going strictly off the published numbers, a very stout blank with a moderate fast action that I'll be building for predominantly flipping and pitching, but I'll undoubtedly try it for Carolina rigging, as well.

The DS6107 I'll be building as a drop shot/shaky head rod. I was just about to pull the trigger on an Eternity2 ETES610MXF to build my new drop shot rod on, but with the North Fork IM blank being basically 50% less in cost I decided to give it a shot. While I'm sure I'll be happy with the rod I build on the above mentioned blank, does anyone know how the North Fork blank would stack up against the Eternity blank mentioned?

Anyhow .... just looking for some opinions on how the IM blanks from North Fork will stack up against the Rainshadow blanks.

Any responses will be much appreciated.

2. Member
    I can't comment on the comparison as I've built on very few rainshadows. I took advantage of the sale too with 4 blanks, 2 hm and 2 im. I've built 10 or 12 nfc's though both hm and im and I don't think you'll be disappointed. I've been using an hm pitching blank this season (don't remember the model off the top of my head) and it's as sensitive a rod as I've ever used, even more so than the brown scv's which until now I felt were some of the best ever.

3. Member
    While being subjective, I'd put the NFC IM a slight notch ahead of the Immortal in terms of feel and liveliness. Of course it varies from blank model to blank model. I think the Eternity 2 is indeed an NFC variation of some sort. At any rate, they're all really good blanks. Plus you got a killer deal.

4. Member
    Will, thanks for the response. Much appreciated. I don't think I'll be disappointed either. Just looking for some input on what to expect. Thanks again.

Hogsticker, thank you for responding as well. I like what you're saying. If what you say is the case then I will certainly be happy. I do love the Immortal blanks I've built on, but going strictly by the weight of similar blanks from the NFC IM, and the Rainshadow Immortal series, I can understand your comments on liveliness and feel. The IM 6107 NFC is almost 3/10 of an oz lighter than an Immortal 610MXF. That has to translate into something. I do love the Immortals though. I will be needing to build another spinning rod some time before next summer (thats when I get out deep and finesse fish) and even if I fall in love with the NFC IM blanks I have ordered. I will be building my next spinning rod on an Eternity2 blank.

I have to see if the hype is real ...... kinda like Tatsu fluorocarbon line. It's better than it's billed.

Thanks again for the responses guys. Bummer the blanks I ordered are back ordered. Looks like I won't be building them before my next tourney on the 14th and 15th of this month :-(

5. Member
    Blank weights really don't mean a whole lot. Yes, it's nice to have a feathery blank, but strength to weight ratios are what separates the good blanks from the great blanks. Materials used and the process of which the blank is made is equally important.

6. Member
    One thing to think about too when you're looking at HM vs IM (with any blank) is what kind of line you'll be using. I've found out the hard way that by and large a high modulus blank + braid = a super sensitive set-up that will probably break when you lay into a log. Bassbme I'll second your sentiment on Tatsu, that stuff is my favorite.

Agree too on Hogstickers strength to weight point. It's one of the reasons I really like both the Hyrdra Ng's and the RG B4 series.

7. Member
    Hogsticker, I definitely agree strength to weight is the most important factor. Lighter blanks, at least in my limited experience, have always been more responsive, but not more durable.

The only reason I am in need of building a new drop shot rod at all, is because I broke my other one. Far more easily than I would have expected. It snapped like a dry twig, and under much less pressure than I've ever put it under while fighting a fish. It was built on a Pac Bay Quickline blank. Very nice blanks. High modulus and very light. 1.34 oz for a 6'6" blank. Very thin wall though, something I noticed when I received the blank. Holding the blank in hand it had the feeling that it needed to be babied. Which I did. Breaking it was just one of those one in a million things.

Will, I hear what you're saying. I am not a braid fan. Not because I'm afraid of breaking a rod, but for other reasons. I use it only when I absolutely have to. For me that means fishing hollow bodied frogs over slop, and I've been using it as my main line on my Carolina rig rod. Other than that I use fluorocarbon, or if I need a line that floats, good old Berkley Big game.

And you mentioning one of the reasons you like the Hydra and RG 84 series blanks, is exactly one of the reasons I like the Immortal blanks so much. Very strong blanks, that sacrifice very little in performance. I absolutely love them.

8. Member
    Happy to report I received my NFC blanks from Get Bit today. Both are from the IM Gen2 series. Both, as expected, are beautiful blanks. Slight problem with the decal that came with the MB 709. In all the literature I've seen (including North Fork's on line catalog) the blank is listed as having a moderate fast action. The decal says "fast" Seemingly not a big deal, but I don't want to have to explain to anyone looking at the rod, that the decal is wrong.

I say the decal is wrong because I flexed the blank, and it flexes like a moderate fast action blank would. I may do some CCS measurements to find out where the action actually falls. I have a request into Get Bit for a new decal listing it as mod fast. Not sure if they can do anything for me as of yet. It may be something I have to take up with North Fork, themselves. Anyone ever experience a North Fork decal listing specs different from what their literature says?

Other than that, as I said, both blanks are beautiful. How they compare to the Rainshadow Immortal blanks is left to be seen. Initial impressions are that the NFCs IM blanks are right there with the Immortal blanks from Rainshadow. I may give a slight nod to the Immortals, but I'll wait until I actually fish with the rods I build, before I make a final judgement.

As far as the DS 6107 IM goes. It should be interesting. It has an extremely light tip. Granted it's only rated at 1/8 - 3/8 oz and 4 - 8# line, but it has a much lighter (softer) tip than I expected. I currently fish a drop shot and shaky heads on a rod (used to be two but I broke one) I built on a Pac Bay Quickline blank. A QLSJ 782. It has the same lure weight rating and extra fast action as the DS 6107 I just got. And it doesn't have that light of a tip. It's 4" shorter, but still.

As I said, it should be interesting. I have a feeling it will be fine for a drop shot, but as I fish a shaky head with the hook point Texas rigged, fishing a shaky head with it may prove difficult. It will definitely have the sensitivity I'm looking for though. It feels great.

9. Member
    You are correct in that the MB 709(IM) was originally moderate-fast in action and had the following CCS measurements.

ERN of 27.280
    AA of 63.700

The original decal (which I guess you would call Gen. 1) said mod-fast. It was also a gold sticker.

Many companies discovered that blanks labeled moderate action or moderate fast action don't sell particularly well because fast and extra fast sounds much cooler.

I think your best option might be to ask Get Bit to make a custom label for you.

The DS 6107 IM is misnamed. It should have been named DS 6100 (which is what the corresponding Edge Rod was named). As such, it's a pure drop shot stick. I don't think it will work particularly well for shaky heads. For shaky heads, I'd find out if Get Bit has a SJ803 and cut it down to 7'.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Snag_Devil View Post
    You are correct in that the MB 709(IM) was originally moderate-fast in action and had the following CCS measurements.

ERN of 27.280
    AA of 63.700

The original decal (which I guess you would call Gen. 1) said mod-fast. It was also a gold sticker.

Many companies discovered that blanks labeled moderate action or moderate fast action don't sell particularly well because fast and extra fast sounds much cooler.

I think your best option might be to ask Get Bit to make a custom label for you.

The DS 6107 IM is misnamed. It should have been named DS 6100 (which is what the corresponding Edge Rod was named). As such, it's a pure drop shot stick. I don't think it will work particularly well for shaky heads. For shaky heads, I'd find out if Get Bit has a SJ803 and cut it down to 7'.
    Snag Devil, I really appreciate your post. Going by what you've said I'm going to go ahead and do a CCS measurement for the AA. I'm not so much concerned what the ERN numbers would be. It's a stick, and as such makes it a little hard to judge strictly by flexing the blank, what the actual action is. I'm basing my guess off of MH crankbait rod with mod fast action that I have. That rod is rated 3/8 - 1 oz baits. No where near the power of this 709 blank.

Definitely going to do a AA check to see where it falls.

As far as what you're saying about the 6107 goes. Yeah ...... it's not mag light, and definitely going to be a dedicated drop shot rod with a light wacky worm every now and again. Definitely an exposed and light wire hook rod.

As far as your suggestion of trimmiing an SJ803. I appreciate the suggestion and am intrigued by the idea. I'm not one that won't trim a blank if it's going to result in the type of rod I'm after. I've trimmed 6" off of the blanks for two of the rods I've built and they resulted in rods with the exact characteristics I was hoping for. But that 12" trim has me thinking. Unless that SJ803 has a nice long back bone, I am going to lose some substantial power with a 12" trim.

I can get that blank in the IM series at the 60% off. Not sure when the sale ends. But I am really wanting to build on an Eternity2. The 610MXF blank. More money than the IM with this sale, but man I really love the Rainshadow blanks I've built on. Thanks for the suggestion though.

Once again thanks a lot for your post. Definitely informative and very useful. Much appreciated! And I will consider that SJ803 trimmed to 7'. Think that's the ticket huh?
    Last edited by Bassbme; 10-20-2017 at 07:38 PM.