If you don't know Old Hickory, be careful running the lake!

I fished the lake yesterday and Wednesday. I guess the recent heavy rains washed the channel markers out around Spencer creeks up through the steam plant? That's the areas I fished and the markers are scattered all over the place out on the main channel. Use a map card.

We we caught plenty of fish on rattle traps on points and pockets in creeks. Most of them small, but plenty of fish. Water temps were about 74 in the AM and maybe 80 in the afternoon back in the creeks. The fish seemed to be on the rocky points. Have fun!

2. Member
    I went up that way, the weekend before last. I'd never been up that way before, but I thought there should have been way more bouys then I saw. Sounds like you had a way better trip than we did, it sucked for us. It reminded me, why I never go there too.

3. Member
    Glad you got over ther John. Been trying to get over there for the last 3 weeks and then life happens. The bunks on my Champ trailer are plumb dried out. NOT GOOD ! It's time for them to reposition those buoys as they have been out of whack for a while now.
    GETFISHED !!!

4. Member
    I had C&O replace all the bunks on my trailer about a year before I rated my 08 Cougar. One if them was give out in the rear and the other wasn't far behind. Figured I may as well do them all. Seems like it was 600.00? I've helped a few guys do it, you'll need some time with the boat off the trailer. Mine had 2x6's with double wrapped carpet. I bet it's a third the cost to DIY. No where for me to drop the boat and do that kind of work.

5. Member
    Yes those buoys need to be reset. See some people trying run straight from one buoy to next. They are sure taking a big chance

As for replacing bunks I always find a time when ramp is not busy and just change mine in parking lot. Of course bull creek has 4 floating docks and not a big deal on off days.

6. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by n2ratfishin View Post
    I fished the lake yesterday and Wednesday. I guess the recent heavy rains washed the channel markers out around Spencer creeks up through the steam plant? That's the areas I fished and the markers are scattered all over the place out on the main channel. Use a map card.

We we caught plenty of fish on rattle traps on points and pockets in creeks. Most of them small, but plenty of fish. Water temps were about 74 in the AM and maybe 80 in the afternoon back in the creeks. The fish seemed to be on the rocky points. Have fun!
    I'm an Old Hickory local and actually totaled my boat one night on a channel buoy out drifting in the middle of the channel. My theory is there is a ton of barge traffic that takes place on that lake. I think every so often a barge could move those around because they are terrible. They don't even line up with the channel especially near the Shutes Branch area. People always ask me when we are fishing together why I'm driving my boat so paranoid, its because I grew up on Old Hickory!

7. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by pantherdad View Post
    Yes those buoys need to be reset. See some people trying run straight from one buoy to next. They are sure taking a big chance.
    Call the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers regional office in the Federal Office building on Broadway in Nashville and complain in a nice way. I have found them very nice guys.

They maintain the Tennessee and Cumberland Rivers out of there and proper navigation is required for commerce. There is a bunch of coal going past where you were fishing to the newly rebuilt Gallatin Steam Plant. I would think the navigation maintained should go as far as Cordell Hill Lake above Old Hickory Lake.

8. Banned
    So in other words don't run the old short cuts if you don't know them when turning right out of Bull Creek headed to the dam . The cut at the old duck blind to Station camp or cutting behind the power line to Ceader then cutting straight across the river channel in front of Ceader running the back shoot to Avondale on the right side , then shooting across running the Mt. Juliet side . Or cutting across Bluegrass and running the back shout to Drakes Creek ,is this what you are saying .......I believe I can still run these without the markers , the only spot would be the island you can cut behind across from Ceader Creek before the bend - its always a little hairy cause you never know what has floated in there.

9. Member
    I run most of those short cuts as well. The people I am talking about are new to the lake or the nice big house boats. Been a while since seeing one stuck on the humps or behind islands but I am sure it won't be long.

10. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by pantherdad View Post
    I run most of those short cuts as well. The people I am talking about are new to the lake or the nice big house boats. Been a while since seeing one stuck on the humps or behind islands but I am sure it won't be long.
    I remember the time BASS came ( it was the year Chad won it in Cedar on those boat docks as I sat and watched him for 2 days ) . I ran into his dad Denny at Rockland on the final practice day . He said son .....yall don't get out of the bouys around here I bet .....i just started laughing at him . He then ask me how far is it from that 2nd bridge to that dam up their at Cordell , I fished 2 creeks up from that 2nd bridge and was just wandering how much further .....i laughed again .....after that we talked for a little bit before he loaded up his boat . Good guy ....IMO . I saw him around Sandy Chapel 1st day of tournament morning throwing top water and flipping. I had put in at Sandy Chapel to avoid traffic at the ramps...

11. Member
    Any update on how the lake is fishing now?
    2013 Legend 211R
    2017 Ford F-150 Ecoboost

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 97tr21 View Post
    Any update on how the lake is fishing now?
    As of last weekend, tough. Perhaps after the relatively cool nights this week and the Harvest Moon, the bait will be moving into the creeks. Will find out tomorrow.

13. Member
    It's been tough piecing together 5 in the past 3 tournaments I've fished. I've managed 5, but a whole BUNCH of guys have been zeroing at the scales
    21XRD Bullet, Mercury 250XS
    Helix 10 SI
    Helix 10 DI
    Helix 5 (GPS only)

20XRD Bullet, 2.4L Bridgeport Merc
    899ci HD SI
    859ci HD DI

14. Member
    The shad are thick in the backs of the creeks, at least mid lake. I haven't been since I made the post so I don't know current report? Sounds like it's tough for most.

I've been known to run a shortcut or three out there LOL. There has also been all kinds of crap float into those ditches and trip folks up, including me. I managed to find an earth mover tire just under the surface one day in a back canal with my lower unit. I had another BBC member with me. He had never spun a boat out before. We went round and round. It was quite a ride!

That was over a decade ago. It's not known as Old Stickory for nothing. Thought I'd let the fall tourist know the main channel markers are way out of whack.

15. Member
    Water level is way down right now also. Been down for a while. It was over 2 feet low Saturday, but came up slightly with the rain yesterday
    21XRD Bullet, Mercury 250XS
    Helix 10 SI
    Helix 10 DI
    Helix 5 (GPS only)

20XRD Bullet, 2.4L Bridgeport Merc
    899ci HD SI
    859ci HD DI