Wyoming Antelope

Had a great hunt in Wyoming this week. Season opened Monday morning and about 7:20 AM I killed my buck that I had watched until dark the evening before. I shot him at 238 yards using my Kimber Hunter 6.5 Creedmoor shooting the 129 grain Nosler Long Range Accubond bullet.

The bullet entered in the crease behind the shoulder with a dime size entrance hole and exited the offside shoulder with a quarter size hole.

My buck measured slightly over 14" long with 6 inch circumference and 5 inch prongs.

My hunting buddy also using a 6.5 Creedmoor killed a larger buck that measured 14 1/2" with 6 & 5/8 circumference and 4 15/16 prongs. He was using factory Hornady 143 grain ELD=X with similar performance as the load above.

Very nice goats!

We did not draw out in Wyoming this year, so I am jealous...
    Aaron Campbell
    Barling, AR
    2007 Bass Cat Sabre
    2011 Merc 175 Pro XS

3. Team Catfish Original hatcreek's Avatar
    Great pair of speedgoats... Congrats on the good hunt.
    Who controls John Gill?

4. Member
    Congrats I have killed a pile of goats over the years with my bow about a half mile from that sign! My cousins from Iowa were there doe hunting. They killed em both in the snow I am guessing that was opening morning
    ~~1995 Gambler~~

Mercury 250 ProXS
    Bobs 10" AJ
    Dual Power Poles
    2-HB 1199's HB 1158 HB 597 in dash
    Ultrex 112

"Runs like a cheetah... with his @$$ on fire"

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Babe Winkleworm View Post
    Congrats I have killed a pile of goats over the years with my bow about a half mile from that sign! My cousins from Iowa were there doe hunting. They killed em both in the snow I am guessing that was opening morning
    Babe,
    Thanks. Yes there was snow on the ground opening morning. It had melted away by noon though.

A picture of mine when I 1st killed it.

That's awesome... On my list of things I want to do... Congrats to you sir and your buddy
    MattandAmber Lawler on Facebook
    Matt Lawler HF on Facebook
    matt_lawler_hf on Instagram

"There ain't a price on stupid. Stupid comes for free."

Jonathan Hillstrand

7. Banned
    Congrats!!

8. Member
    Thanks for the replies. Can't hardly wait till next time.

9. Iowa/Wisconsin/Hunting & Gun Lodge/Stroker Moderator Wags's Avatar
    Nice congrats.
    LeaLea

10. BBC SPONSOR
    congrats! thats awesome. they are my favorite big game to hunt.
    FTO Marine Supplies
    BBC Sponsor

11. Member
    Nice job.

12. Georgia Bass Club Moderator fishnfool38's Avatar
    Congrats!
    We were up few weeks ago in Jackson Hole spent 2 days on the Gros Ventre road seen several good Antelope and biggest mule deer I've ever seen including on TV.
    I'm hoping to get an elk hunt with bow there one day it's on my bucket list and dream hunt.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fishnfool38 View Post
    Congrats!
    We were up few weeks ago in Jackson Hole spent 2 days on the Gros Ventre road seen several good Antelope and biggest mule deer I've ever seen including on TV.
    I'm hoping to get an elk hunt with bow there one day it's on my bucket list and dream hunt.
    We seen a few elk and some nice mule deer. I would like to do a combine deer and antelope hunt one of these days.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RNF View Post
    We seen a few elk and some nice mule deer. I would like to do a combine deer and antelope hunt one of these days.
    It's almost impossible to draw a antelope tag up there anymore. The deer and elk is even worse in Wyoming. That area you were hunting has some ginormous bulls! 360+ easy. We have seen a herd of 400-500 in the basin many times. The locals don't even hunt them until they come down into the sage. We also saw a HUGE buffalo bull a couple miles south of there. Infact I found a buffalo horn up there that I had looked at by a museum . They estimated it at 200 years old.
    ~~1995 Gambler~~

Mercury 250 ProXS
    Bobs 10" AJ
    Dual Power Poles
    Ultrex 112

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Babe Winkleworm View Post
    It's almost impossible to draw a antelope tag up there anymore. The deer and elk is even worse in Wyoming. That area you were hunting has some ginormous bulls! 360+ easy. We have seen a herd of 400-500 in the basin many times. The locals don't even hunt them until they come down into the sage. We also saw a HUGE buffalo bull a couple miles south of there. Infact I found a buffalo horn up there that I had looked at by a museum . They estimated it at 200 years old.
    When we were leaving there was a heard of about 30 head laying on private property that runs along side the road .One really nice 6X6 bull in the heard with a couple more smaller bulls. I told my hunting partner that all the hunters were up on the mountain and here are the elk laying up on private property.

16. Member
    There is a ton of elk in that area. I talked to some guys that were muzzleloader hunting and had 3 BIG six point bulls in the back of their truck from opening day.
    We have had tons of problems with that ranch over the years. They are an outfitter and is always elk there. (I won't say what he name is because itd give the area # away) A few years ago we were about 8 hrs into an all day sit on a waterhole. About 70-80 antelope were within a mile or so. On top of a ridge was a guy on a horse about a mile away. There wasnt a cow even close to us. He rode down and pushed all those antelope over on then ranch. Preceeded to ride down to 200-300 yards of our blind then ride off. I wished I had more middle fingers that day.
    ~~1995 Gambler~~

Mercury 250 ProXS
    Bobs 10" AJ
    Dual Power Poles
    Ultrex 112

17. Member
    Heard the same thing from other hunters while we were hunting there about that ranch. We hunt along the very northern edge of the area. We have seen ranchers there but have always had pleasant dealings with them. Some mentioning where they seen good bucks or areas with lots of prairie dogs which we enjoy hunting.

18. Member
    They lease all that BLM for gazing, therefore they think they own it. It is not uncommon to get buzzed
    by a Cessna while sitting in a ground blind. When I first started hunting goats up there you could draw a buck tag every other and 2x doe tags every year. There were thousands of them! Now when I talk to guys I know that still hunt it they say you may not see any in a day. Sad.
    ~~1995 Gambler~~

Mercury 250 ProXS
    Bobs 10" AJ
    Dual Power Poles
    Ultrex 112

19. Member
    Babe sent you a PM