Thread: New Electronics

New Electronics

I have a new Lowrance HDS Gen 3 in the front and am looking to replace my old Hummingbird 788 ci HD at the dash. I want to replace the Hummingbird and it would be great for the two to be synced I think moving forward. I currently have a bilge transducer mount for the 788, which I like since it's out of the way and can't be damaged for the most part. Lowrance in front is on the trolling motor. I need a structure scan transducer to get the full advantage of my HDS, and I don't' see any TM mounts. So my questions are this:
    1) - Is there really a ture advantage for having them be able to sync - i.e. put a Lowrance at the dash
    2) - Is the bilge mount really an advantage? If so, is that option available with the Lowrance and still be able to obtain structure scan - and still sync.
    3) - I see a definate advantage to being able to take the transducer off the TM, assuming syncing works well.

There are lots of options and I'm new to it all, so I'm having trouble making heads or tails of it on the Lowrance site.

Thanks in advance.
    - Brian

BassCat Puma 2006, if that matters.

2. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    With HDS units there is an advantage to have at least two with the networking capabilities the units have.

1. Yes, if you have another HDS gen 3 unit at the console connected via ethernet you will map sharing, waypoint syncing, sonar sharing, etc.....
    2. Bilge mount keeps the ducer safe and from being knocked off. It must be mounted in the sweet spot to get readings while on plane and higher speeds.....may take a few trips with adjusting/moving the ducer around to find the sweet spot. As for as structure scan, you can get either the Structure Scan HD or 3D Structure scan along with the bilge mounted ducer.....
    3. To have a system like this, why have only 1 ducer on the back.....go with the HDI or Totalscan ducer on the TM......HDI= sonar/downscan, TotalScan = sonar, downscan, sidescan......
    YOU are not entitled to what I have earned!!!!!

2014 Phoenix 619 Pro / 2014 Mercury 200 Pro XS

3. Member
    Thanks You - So if I understand you correctly, the bilge mount will not accommodate structure scan. I would still need a structure scan/Total scan transducer either in the rear or on the TM, correct?

Brian

4. Member
    If you're going to have a thru hull transducer in the bilge I would put an LSS2 on the transom. I would also put a transducer on the trolling motor for the bow unit.

5. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bdmonist View Post
    Thanks You - So if I understand you correctly, the bilge mount will not accommodate structure scan. I would still need a structure scan/Total scan transducer either in the rear or on the TM, correct?

Brian
    If you have the bilge mounted ducer like you say then all you need is the LSS 2 ducer in the rear, those 2 will connect to your console unit and give you structure scan and sonar at your console....as for the TM, you have a choice like i mentioned in my previous post....

6. Member
    Thanks for all the help here guys - I have decided to go with an HDS 7 G3 at the dash and the 3D structure scan transducer on the transom. I have also found an connector adapter for hummingbird to lowrance for the in hull transducer. Is there anything else keeping me from being able to use the existing in hull ducer (currently hooked up to HB) with the new HDS?

7. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    Never heard of that adapter. Can you elaborate? I did see something on YouTube where someone used what I think was a TM adapter cable to run a lowrance unit off a HB ducer or vice versa.....don't remember which one. ......

8. Member
    I think this one is the one that I need, but I need to get home and pull the plug on my 788ci to make sure.

Part # 8M4001962 (it's the last one on the page)
    http://www.motorguide.com/store/acce...-adapter-cable

I would prefer to use the transducer currently in the hull for sonar etc. if possible. Are there any other concerns with this other than connection?

It doesn't look like I will be able to use the temp cord, it is separate on my existing system I believe.

9. Banned
    The LSS2 transducer has temp, so the bilge mounted temperature isn't needed, if you go that direction.

10. Member
    I think this one is the one that I need, but I need to get home and pull the plug on my 788ci to make sure.

Part # 8M4001962 (it's the last one on the page)
    http://www.motorguide.com/store/acce...-adapter-cable

I would prefer to use the transducer currently in the hull for sonar etc. if possible. Are there any other concerns with this other than connection?

It doesn't look like I will be able to use the temp cord, it is separate on my existing system I believe.
    That adapter is backwards to what you need, if you have the Humminbird in the bilge area. That is for a "Lowrance sonar ready" Motorguide, which has the transducer side of the blue connector to connect to a Humminbird depth finder. If you had a Lowrance transducer (blue connection) in the bilge and was going to connect it to a Humminbird, this would work.
    Your best set is going to be a Lowrance transducer in the bilge (usually an 83/200khz) connected to the Lowrance, then connect the LSS2 transducer (will be on the transom or jackplate for side imaging) connected to the Lowrance. An Ethernet cable connected between the console and bow unit. If you're going to use any peripherals (point 1, engine monitoring, external temp sensors, radar, weather, etc.) you will also need the NMEA 2000 connection backbone kit. This will connect the two units, allow for waypoint sharing, map sharing, transducer sharing, etc.
    John
    BBC Sponsor since 2006: (870) 773-3474
    Mon - Thrs 8am - 5pm Central
    Friday 8am-12pm
    Garmin Certified Dealer and Installers: Call us for all your Garmin Electronics needs!
    ASC for: Garmin, Lowrance, Minnkota, Humminbird, and Powerpole.
    [SIGPIC] http://www.jonestrollingmotor.com
    [/SIGPIC]

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonestrollingmotor View Post
    That adapter is backwards to what you need, if you have the Humminbird in the bilge area. That is for a "Lowrance sonar ready" Motorguide, which has the transducer side of the blue connector to connect to a Humminbird depth finder. If you had a Lowrance transducer (blue connection) in the bilge and was going to connect it to a Humminbird, this would work.
    Your best set is going to be a Lowrance transducer in the bilge (usually an 83/200khz) connected to the Lowrance, then connect the LSS2 transducer (will be on the transom or jackplate for side imaging) connected to the Lowrance. An Ethernet cable connected between the console and bow unit. If you're going to use any peripherals (point 1, engine monitoring, external temp sensors, radar, weather, etc.) you will also need the NMEA 2000 connection backbone kit. This will connect the two units, allow for waypoint sharing, map sharing, transducer sharing, etc.
    John
    Thanks for the info John - I plan on using an Ethernet cable for the communication between the two - I won't have any other peripherals at this point. Do I need NEMA for using the 3D imaging on the bow unit, or would the Ethernet get me that as well?

I'd rather not replace the in hull transducer if possible - Is there not an adapter to go the other way? I thought that would work, but haven't pulled my connector on the hummingbird yet to check it.

12. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    3D uses ethernet only.....N2K would be for point 1 and other me a sensors....

13. Member
    Here is the back of HB unit and plug - any chance of adapting to new HDS?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Here is the back of HB unit and plug - any chance of adapting to new HDS?

No.
    The lower plug is the transducer plug
    The next one up is the Ethernet adapter (AS EC QDE)
    The top one is the power plug
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

15. Member
    Well Damn - I really didn't want to run a new transducer in the hull - Can't believe there's not something that will work. Thanks for the input Gentlemen.
    Brian

If the transducer is older I'd replace it in a heartbeat. After all there isn't any other way to make the connection, correct. Even though the structure scan/total scan has temperature I'd place an 83/200 w/transom temp probe. At a time there was some problems getting the temperature read at the trollong motor off of its sensor. Someone with more knowledge please comment on this.
    I got nothin

17. Member
    It is much older - Lowrance told me today I could use an HDI Skimmer transducer as an in hull. I have an extra one, so I may go that route. They said I would lose some downscan ability with it - but I don't need that for the in hull anyway. I have an existing transom temp probe, so maybe I can hook it up somehow - but I won't be out much without it. I have it on the TM if I need it.