1999 skeeter 202 porpoise problem

Folks,
    have a new to me skeeter that I am trying to figure out. Has a 10" jack plate which is almost all the way up...
    start by lowering? Hydrofoil? 200 hp Yamaha...
    probably an answer on the site already, thought I would ask first

2. Member
    What type prop and prop to pad height ? Have been around several, none had porpoising problems!

3. Member
    I don't say this as a know it all... I say it as one who will take the time to write it out. Many know this but just skip over your post after seeing it for the 1000th time. Believe me when I say I'm 99.9% certain it's a driver issue and not a set up issue. The two most common issues with new Skeeter owners are:

1) the boat porpoises (and they want to change prop or jack plate height)

2) loading the boat on the trailer (and they want to change the height of the bow stop)

Find a large body of water where you can spend some time running. next time you're out, Step all the way into the throttle but don't touch the trim. Drive for a minute or two like that. Full throttle but no trim. Then tap the trim up a bit and drive like that. Keep your foot in the throttle all the time. Get used to how it runs and perform. Do this incrementally till you're at full speed.

Then start trimming down and still keep your foot in the throttle. You can take the boat from idle to full speed and back down if you'll use the trim and not the throttle to control speed. You will eliminate porpoising while accelerating and also while decelerating if you drive like this. Apply throttle first, then trim when accelerating. Trim down first then back out of throttle when slowing down.

if you really want to learn how your boat performs, start driving at 1500 rpms and drive for a minute. Increase incrementally 100 rpms and drive at a minute for each. Go from 1500 rpms to 6000 and back down. This is how I broke in my SHO and I know at what rpm it will jump on plane and what rpm it will fall off plane. If you'll take the time to do this extra step you'll never have a porpoising problem again. Or if you do, you can then be certain it's a set up issue.

4. Member
    if your jackplate is almost all the way up... thats your problem. run a straight edge along the bottom of the boat and see where it meets the middle of the prop (propshaft). start with it 2" below that line (pad). I had a zx202x, actually have had 2 of them. They like the motor down when running in rougher water. becomes a pain in shallow water- i ended up putting a hydraulic jackplate on my last one and fell in love with it!

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by K.D. View Post
    I don't say this as a know it all... I say it as one who will take the time to write it out. Many know this but just skip over your post after seeing it for the 1000th time. Believe me when I say I'm 99.9% certain it's a driver issue and not a set up issue. The two most common issues with new Skeeter owners are:

1) the boat porpoises (and they want to change prop or jack plate height)

2) loading the boat on the trailer (and they want to change the height of the bow stop)

Find a large body of water where you can spend some time running. next time you're out, Step all the way into the throttle but don't touch the trim. Drive for a minute or two like that. Full throttle but no trim. Then tap the trim up a bit and drive like that. Keep your foot in the throttle all the time. Get used to how it runs and perform. Do this incrementally till you're at full speed.

Then start trimming down and still keep your foot in the throttle. You can take the boat from idle to full speed and back down if you'll use the trim and not the throttle to control speed. You will eliminate porpoising while accelerating and also while decelerating if you drive like this. Apply throttle first, then trim when accelerating. Trim down first then back out of throttle when slowing down.

if you really want to learn how your boat performs, start driving at 1500 rpms and drive for a minute. Increase incrementally 100 rpms and drive at a minute for each. Go from 1500 rpms to 6000 and back down. This is how I broke in my SHO and I know at what rpm it will jump on plane and what rpm it will fall off plane. If you'll take the time to do this extra step you'll never have a porpoising problem again. Or if you do, you can then be certain it's a set up issue.
    I'd sticky this thread. Well said. I thought I had a porpoising problem and solved it by pretty much doing this.