Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tin (Aluminum) Boat History

Been around a long time in this boat selling game, also think real hard before you jump into the boat business as an independent dealer (you will put it all up everything you own to do it). My statement is Manufacturers better step it up. Anyways how about a little Boat History. I should know by now who was who after WW2, maybe most boats companys in aluminum builders were around plants that produced planes? Like maybe Lonestar Boats, I think they were a Dallas Ft Worth Company. Lund their New York Mills may not be first plant? Old boats I have turned a wrench on seems these two stick out in my head. Alumacraft is their to but dont know facts completely. Some of you help me here I know some of you live in these Places and would have true Facts that are interesting

This is not just for current builders. I would like to hear about some I would not know about and what they built. Looking at a History on a webpage does not get to detailed. Someone shed Facts.

2. Member
    If you're writing a book on Aluminium boat builders, you'll need to learn to proof read. Very hard to understand what your post was saying/asking/about.

3. Member
    Never said I was writing a book. Maybe grammer and spelling could be better. You would know nothing anyway if your from London. Lots of people don't post, because of people like you. Please just go away.
    Last edited by texoma; 09-28-2017 at 12:42 PM.

4. Member
    Was this really necessary?
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim Kelly View Post
    If you're writing a book on Aluminium boat builders, you'll need to learn to proof read. Very hard to understand what your post was saying/asking/about.
    2016 Ranger RT178 white
    75 4S Merc, VesselView Mobile
    Simrad Go7, Baystar hydro, SpitFire X7 17p

5. Member
    Alumacraft began in 1946. I think Xpress was originally AlumWeld, beginning in 1966. Duracraft began in 1946.
    2015 Ranger RT188 DC; BassCat Storage Box; Mercury Optimax 115ProXS;
    19" Spitfire X7; Vessel View Mobile; Minn Kota Ultrex 80; GForce Handle;
    TM Eliminator; Helix 7 G2N SI Combo F/R; HydroWave KVD; BBT 4" Angled Bow Mount; Durasafe Locks for Electronics and Ultrex;
    Twist Step Boarding Ladder; EZEE Step ES1; BAC RAC Rod Storage; Motor Mate Transom Saver

Don't forget Grumman, they were building boats planes, all manner of things before the war. I know of one dealer that sales Grummam boats still.

Have an adventure everyday !
    2006 PT 175 TX 60 HP.

MonArk, perhaps the most successful aluminum boat company in history, came along in 1959. Many believe they are renamed today as SeaArk. But in truth, the original company was sold and later tabled. After expiration of a non compete clause, the original founders of MonArk started a new company and named it SeaArk. But the current SeaArk company does not own the rights to MonArk.

https://www.marinelink.com/news/331655

8. Member
    Duracraft was a fine Boat for sure 46 I had no idea. Alumacraft in 46 sounds maybe true they were metal workers and started after leaving war jobs. I wonder who was the first I think Lund was around about then?

9. Member
    The monark deals sounds complex. I remember Nova Boats Kansas Maybe. Something to do with Ranger?
    Last edited by texoma; 09-28-2017 at 12:41 PM.

10. Member
    An investor and I almost purchased Duracraft when it was shut down in South Carolina. He was a customer at my store. I may have made a mistake.

And FisherMarine that started in 1965, now that boat was ahead of its time, great boat, was gobbled up and soon forgotten. That's what happens sometimes to a well made product

12. Member
    My first boat was a Fisher Marine back in 1983. My current RT188 is light years ahead of it. I took a Lund in trade for my first glass boat around 85. I don't get where people say they don't leak? That one leaked as well. I used to run around and pull the plug from both of them to drain water as nether had a bilge pump. Both were tiller steer models. I was fishing Santee Cooper so yes they were taking a beating. I fish KY Lake with my current boat so yes it sees rough water.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SE66 View Post
    And FisherMarine that started in 1965, now that boat was ahead of its time, great boat, was gobbled up and soon forgotten. That's what happens sometimes to a well made product
    Yep seen a few of those.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by n2ratfishin View Post
    My first boat was a Fisher Marine back in 1983. My current RT188 is light years ahead of it. I took a Lund in trade for my first glass boat around 85. I don't get where people say they don't leak? That one leaked as well. I used to run around and pull the plug from both of them to drain water as nether had a bilge pump. Both were tiller steer models. I was fishing Santee Cooper so yes they were taking a beating. I fish KY Lake with my current boat so yes it sees rough water.
    Maybe back then they used a smaller rivit that was not precisly drilled. I have seen some older boats with alot of small rivets like on airplanes real close together. Thats alot of rivets to not leak.

15. Banned
    Fisher was bought by Tracker sometime mid to late 90's

16. Member
    Don't know the history of them but I have a 1968 smokercraft that still looks brand new. Still has the original plywood in the transom with the model # plate riveted to it. My grandad owned a Volkswagen dealership in the 60's and 70's and purchased 4 of them. 3 for his management and 1 for himself. I have his.

Smith Mountain Lake, VA and a cottage in Ontario
    I own a MirroCraft boat that sits at my cabin in Ontario. I believe it was built in WI and I have no idea how old it is but it looks ancient yet doesn't leak a drop and is rated for 35 hp (that would probably launch it into low earth orbit). It looks to be 15 or 16' in length.
    2018 Ranger RT188 SC Black/115 hp Yamaha SHO 4-stroke; Garmin LVS34 - north
    2018 Ranger RT188 DC Black/115 hp Merc Pro XS 4-stroke; Garmin LVS34 - south
    14' Mirrorcraft tin boat (ancient) with a 9.9 Mercury 4-stroke, no electronics; catches fish anyway

18. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by GeauxTide View Post
    Alumacraft began in 1946. I think Xpress was originally AlumWeld, beginning in 1966. Duracraft began in 1946.
    Xpress was the pioneer of the all welded aluminum hull.

19. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by tcesni View Post
    I own a MirroCraft boat that sits at my cabin in Ontario. I believe it was built in WI and I have no idea how old it is but it looks ancient yet doesn't leak a drop and is rated for 35 hp (that would probably launch it into low earth orbit). It looks to be 15 or 16' in length.
    I'm pretty sure Mirrocraft manufactured pots and pans before they got into the boat business

Smith Mountain Lake, VA and a cottage in Ontario
    Quote Originally Posted by slonezp View Post
    I'm pretty sure Mirrocraft manufactured pots and pans before they got into the boat business
    That is very interesting! My boat also has the "many small rivet" means of manufacturing. Just a basic semi-V hull with three bench seats but it moves decently with a 9.9.
    2018 Ranger RT188 SC Black/115 hp Yamaha SHO 4-stroke; Garmin LVS34 - north
    2018 Ranger RT188 DC Black/115 hp Merc Pro XS 4-stroke; Garmin LVS34 - south
    14' Mirrorcraft tin boat (ancient) with a 9.9 Mercury 4-stroke, no electronics; catches fish anyway

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast