Honda BF115 Oil Change and Lower Unit Grease

The local Marine dealers on the lake (Hamilton) where we keep our pontoon have all apparently decided to put the screws to everyone this year. $699.99 to winterize which is oil change, lower unit service, wrap and storage. Acid wash is extra ($14.00 a foot). Oil change and LU only is $250.00. I have a place to store mine, I'll use my own cover, and I plan to try my hand at cleaning the pontoons. I'm hoping to perform the oil change and LU service myself also.
    BOE Marine has a complete kit for the oil and LU that looks like a pretty good deal, so I'll likely order it.
    https://www.boemarine.com/products/h...nt=22428459847
    Any tips on doing the engine service myself? Is it difficult for someone with fairly good mechanical skills?
    And the dealer told me Hondas only need the water impeller changed every 3-4 years. I'm used to a Mercury, so I have no idea.
    Any expert advice would be greatly appreciated.

P.S. I asked about cleaning the pontoons on my boat under the Pontoons section. Any help there would be appreciated also.
    BassCat Sabre FTD
    Mercury 150 Optimax
    "It's just fishing"

2. Honda / Raymarine Moderator Hickory Legend's Avatar
    I run Castrol oil, Honda oil filter, the ones on the car has the same part number. Local boat dealer has the Honda filter for 7 or 8 so last time I just bought a few from them.

lower unit oil, same as a Merc or Yamaha as to change it. After the first 100 hours I run Mercury racing lube in it with Lucas treatment.

Impeller you can wait until it fails and hope your not up lake, if you always start it in the water or on muffs. They will last a few years like the other brands, kind of a call on when to do it. You can watch your stream and if you notice it getting weak change it, or ever other year would be good.

Thanks Hickory. I run Castrol Edge I all my vehicles, so I'll just pick up some for the Honda. I'll have to find an online source for filters and LU gaskets. No biggie. So, Mercury High Performance grease will work in the LU?
    BassCat Sabre FTD
    Mercury 150 Optimax
    "It's just fishing"

4. Honda / Raymarine Moderator Hickory Legend's Avatar
    Yes after some breakin time. The car dealers should have the filter or can get them also amazon or eBay!

Found the filters on Amazon, but I'll try the local car dealer too. Thank you sir for the information and advice.

Edit: Ordered the filters (2) from Boats.net for 5.92 each. The local Honda auto dealer had the A02 version to replace the A01PE, but it's an inferior replacement manufactured by Honeywell according to what I read online.

One other question. I don't see where the Honda oil is a full synthetic. Is it OK to run full syn like Castrol Edge, or should I be using a semi-syn oil?
    Last edited by RazorCat; 09-27-2017 at 09:30 AM.
    BassCat Sabre FTD
    Mercury 150 Optimax
    "It's just fishing"

6. Honda / Raymarine Moderator Hickory Legend's Avatar
    I believe so after the engine is broke in and the rings are seated!

The engine has about 250 hours on it. But, I found Honda 10W-30 for $26.00 a gallon shipped, so I ordered that.
    Thsnks again for the help.
    BassCat Sabre FTD
    Mercury 150 Optimax
    "It's just fishing"

8. Honda / Raymarine Moderator Hickory Legend's Avatar
    I would swap over to Synthetic on the next oil change. It will help give you a few more RPM! Not much but a little!!

I’m set. 2 gallons of Honda oil, 3 quarts of Mercury HP LU 90W, 2 Honda oil filters, and extra LU plugs with O rings. Oil from Wal-Mart online, the rest from Boats.net. $86.00 total and I have an extra filter, LU unit grease, and O rings for next time.
    And the labor is cheap.
    BassCat Sabre FTD
    Mercury 150 Optimax
    "It's just fishing"

Hickory,
    I have a Quicksilver lube pump that fits a Mercury, and comes with the Yamaha metric adapter. Does one of these fit the Honda? Having a hell of a time finding the thread size of the drain plugs.
    BassCat Sabre FTD
    Mercury 150 Optimax
    "It's just fishing"

11. Honda / Raymarine Moderator Hickory Legend's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RazorCat View Post
    Hickory,
    I have a Quicksilver lube pump that fits a Mercury, and comes with the Yamaha metric adapter. Does one of these fit the Honda? Having a hell of a time finding the thread size of the drain plugs.
    Opps not a Mercury only the saber lower unit used it.

Try the Yamaha.
    Last edited by Hickory Legend; 10-03-2017 at 11:23 AM.

Thanks so much. Can't wait to give it a go on my own.
    BassCat Sabre FTD
    Mercury 150 Optimax
    "It's just fishing"