Thread: Custom rods

Custom rods

If you couls pick 2 rods to be custom built what rods in you line up would you chose.

2. Member
    If I could only choose two blanks to build they would be a Hydra NG FL4 and a Rod Geeks B473MHXS.

The Hydra is a light flippin blank that can handle pretty much all of your plastic and jig needs, frogs and swimming jigs. It could also be pressed into duty for light punching, buzzbaits/spinnerbaits and bigger topwater or bigger wake baits.

The 73MHXS is a really versatile blank. It excels at dropshot and shakeyheads but could handle pretty much anything you'd throw on a spinning rod.

Two is tough to cover everything. I'd add another which would be either a Rod Geeks SG79MHM or a Seeker BS706 for cranking and spinnerbaits/buzzbaits.

With one more I'd personally be all set. Sorry I don't know the model number but it's whatever Hydra/ALX that Alex sold me from his IKOS line (the gray Medium power, Alex if you could chime in that'd be great because I'd love another one). It's just an all purpose MF (although I'd say it's more MMF). It handles both feel baits and moving baits really well from 1/8oz to probably 3/4 or so.

With those 4 I pretty much feel like I could fish a tournament just about anywhere.

3. Member
    I take it you mean what two techniques would I much prefer a custom built rod, over a factory rod ...... any factory rod.

A flipping/ pitching rod, and a drop shot/ shaky head rod. I'd also add a third technique and say a jerkbait rod. Other than those three techniques, I believe I could find a factory rod that would perform other techniques quite well. Not as good as a custom built rod would, but pretty darn close.

Personally - feel technique rods. You'll get the most appreciation out of it.

5. BBC Fantasy Fishing Organizer BasserJim's Avatar
    Finesse rods. I’m to the point of never owning a factory rod but you’ll definitely appreciate it more on something you’re making bottom contact and fishing by feel

6. Member
    I totally missed the point of your post. Agree with all of the others. Pitchin rod and Dropshot.