Hull gelcoat repair

Interested in some opinions, looking at this boat. Guy that owns the boat says he got a smoking deal and bought it to flip it. Looks like previous owner ran it hard and maybe ran it up on shore often. Thoughts on the scuffs being cosmetic? Redo hull gelcoat? Expect it would cost 1k

Attached Images Attached Images

I fix stuff like this quite often. Without seeing it in person....you'd be surprised how it would look in a couple hours with sandpaper and a buffer.
    BULLET 20 XRD/250 Merc Sport XS
    www.ncboatguy.com

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by crank68 View Post
    I fix stuff like this quite often. Without seeing it in person....you'd be surprised how it would look in a couple hours with sandpaper and a buffer.
    Maybe a dumb question but how do you support boat to get away from bunk boards?

Most folks I do work for do not want to sand and buff under the bunks.
    www.ncboatguy.com

Quote Originally Posted by Basshaker View Post
    Maybe a dumb question but how do you support boat to get away from bunk boards?
    Crank the tongue jack all the way down to raise the transom; block it with boat stands, or build a vee-block to fit the pad area (or a timber under the jackplate if equipped).
    Crank the tongue jack all the way up to raise the bow, and block the bow (or use a 10-ton floor jack or hoist to lift the bow off the trailer). Lower the tongue jack to allow slight clearance between bunks and hull.
    You can slide the trailer out from under the boat, re-positioning the bow blocks as they reach the trailer crossmembers - or remove the bunks to get them out of the way (and recover them while you're at it).

6. Member
    You might also consider putting a Hamby (keel guard) on.

7. Member
    My hull had scrapes on the bottom where previous owner beached it at reservoirs (river rock). I dab patched some of the gel coat knicks with West Marine's system and left the scratches. I think it's fine other than the look of it all. We don't keep our boats in the water so I don't think water infiltration is a concern. Mine is a black hull also. Spend the money on electronics!!!!

8. Member
    Actually stopped and talked to a glass repair guy. Said it isn't going to hurt anything provided the glass itself isn't damaged. Basically leave if you don't care.

Appreciate all the feed back

9. Member
    Mine looked similar when i bought mine used. I keel guarded it and filled in one chunk that was there with marinetech and called it good. And i am glad i keel guarded it. Last week up on Lake of the Woods in Canada while casting a shoreline i got on to a rock. Took a few minutes but we got pushed off. Later when we pulled the boat out of the water you could see a good size gouge out of the guard. I would hate to have had the fiberglass spinning around the top of that rock.
    2021 Ranger 620FS Cup Edition / Mercury Pro XS 250
    1999 Ranger 620VS / 2015 Yamaha F200

10. Member
    Bought the boat today plan to clean it up a bit and put one on. Need to understand how much to buff the bottom
    98 Ra​nger R93
    00 Evinrude 175hp Ficht
    HB Helix 12 Mega DI G4N
    HB Helix 12 Mega SI G4N
    HB Helix 10 Mega SI G2N
    Mega 360
    Mega Live

Put the keel guard on, fix, replace the carpet or bunk that’s causeing the issues. Buffing will help but prolly multiple grit sanding followed by buffing then wax will fix you up.
    www.ncboatguy.com