Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

2016 Z21 Issue with gelcoat

I bought a 2016 Z21 that only had 29 hours. A man bought it new and passed away then the guy that I bought it from purchased it. I am the 3rd owner. I have only had it on water 2 times and as I was wiping it down I noticed this.....any ideas on what caused this? Also, if I am reading correctly the warranty only is transferable to the 2nd owner. I am disspointed and could use any and all advice. It is about 6-7 inches long and near where the gas cap is.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hard to tell what I am looking at. Take it to a fiberglass guy and see what they say, estimates are free. I don't think minor gel coat cracks are covered after 90 days to any owner.
    Bryan McDonough
    2023 Nitro Z21 XL
    Nitro Team

3. Member
    Yes the warranty is only transferable to the 2nd owner and must be done in a certain time frame.
    Hard to tell in the pics bu it seems to be separating between the colors. A good glass guy can probably fix fairly cheap.
    Born to fish, forced to work.

4. Member
    My 2014 Z9 Was used when i bought it and Nitro Just fixed the gelcoat under warranty

Well there ya go, talk to your dealer.
    Bryan McDonough
    2023 Nitro Z21 XL
    Nitro Team

6. Member
    If you are talking about the slight imperfection in the gelcoat line, I would not worry about it. Can you even see it 5-10ft from the boat. I think if you tried to have someone fix it, it would end up worse than what is now.

Looks sorta like a mold mark. I had some on a boat that I bought.

Triton 19 XS Elite, 225 Mercury Pro XS, Minn Kota Ultrex 112, Hydrowave H2, Twin 8' Power Pole Blades, Power Pole CHARGE, Lowrance HDS 12 and 16 at console, Lowrance HDS 9, Garmin LiveScope at bow, Mercmonitor, Rigid Industries Deck lights and other stuff to come that will make me go more broke

8. Member
    I was thinking that it looks like a tape edge or maybe even a bit of tape that was left behind when they applied the different colors of gel coat?

9. Member
    Right below the silver flake where the white starts...its just a long crack....not a mold mark or anything superficial....kinda looks like a stress crack but it follows the bottom of the silver flake

I agree , my boat picked up a couple inches of this, it wasn't there to begin with, mine is on top cap (not worried about water)so I have just been waiting to see your outcome.
    Mercury 250 proxs 2B115089

11. Member
    I've seen that on other brands also. It was the same thing, where two colors meet. I'm guessing when they were shooting the gel the two colors didn't bond correctly and they just end up cracking apart. Gel coat has a kick time and maybe they didn't catch it just right or something. A glass guy can fix it but I wouldn't say it would be cheap. Any flake repair is pretty expensive. The best shop around here told me 1k or a little more per foot of flake so I'm thinking about 1k is what it would cost to fix. A good dealer might be able to get it taken care of though since it's a 16 model

12. Member
    That sux that its a crack. Its hard to tell it in pic. Myb you can get the person you bought it from to try and get it warrantied out.

I feel I could make my issue (the same as this) go away with some buffing, polishing followed up with liberal waxing.

Quote Originally Posted by Fishysam View Post
    I feel I could make my issue (the same as this) go away with some buffing, polishing followed up with liberal waxing.
    I agree.
    Bryan McDonough
    2023 Nitro Z21 XL
    Nitro Team

15. Moderator
    You talking about where the white meets the stripe?

16. Member
    Yes

17. Member
    First take it to a nitro dealer. Let them get a hold of Tracker. Then tracker will tell them to take it to their fiberglass shop in your area for a estimate. Then from that point you will know your options. That's if your boat is covered under warranty. Because I am sending Mine back to tracker on Monday to have warranty work done on the fiberglass. Mine has such bad stress cracks that the local fiberglass shop would not warranty their work they recommended it to go back to the factory. My boat is the Z 19 2017. But before you do anything I would definitely take it to a dealer to let them take pictures to send to tracker to see what they want to do.

18. Member
    I tried all of that.....because I am
    the third owner there’s no warranty om
    boat. Nitro told me tough luck. Boat only has 29 hours on it. Lesson learned on my end!

So if you tried all of that, what was the estimate?

Quote Originally Posted by ldmtsu View Post
    I tried all of that.....because I am
    the third owner there’s no warranty om
    boat. Nitro told me tough luck. Boat only has 29 hours on it. Lesson learned on my end!
    Question is would Ranger, Triton, Skeeter, Legend , Phoenix, and more. Would they cover it on a 3 year old 3 owner boat?
    Bryan McDonough
    2023 Nitro Z21 XL
    Nitro Team

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast