Thread: wedges

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    2017 Crestliner VT 18 DX
    Mercury 115 ProXS
    Motorguide X3 70lb 24V
    TP Express Mach 4 13 x 19
    "Follow Me," Jesus told them, "and I will make you fish for people!" Mark 1:17

2. Member
    WENT THROUGH THE BAD PORPOSING OUT OF CONTROL HANDLING WITH A NEW 2017 PT18, CRESTLINER RELACED IT WITH A 2018 HULL, 2 WEDGES ON BOTTOM, RUNS LIKE A NEW BOAT, PROBABLY TAKES AWAY A COUPLE MPH WITH THE EXTRA FRICTION BUT I'M OK WITH THAT.

3. Member
    Glad they got it taken care of for you. That is one sweet tin rig you got there, enjoy.
    Quote Originally Posted by saphireblue99 View Post
    WENT THROUGH THE BAD PORPOSING OUT OF CONTROL HANDLING WITH A NEW 2017 PT18, CRESTLINER RELACED IT WITH A 2018 HULL, 2 WEDGES ON BOTTOM, RUNS LIKE A NEW BOAT, PROBABLY TAKES AWAY A COUPLE MPH WITH THE EXTRA FRICTION BUT I'M OK WITH THAT.

like saphireblue99 I got my new 2018 PT18 with two built in wedges. they tried 2, 4, and 6 wedges on the 2017 to no avail. yeah, it stopped the porpoising but trimming up didn't do anything. hope it works out for you.

5. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by 3dees View Post
    like saphireblue99 I got my new 2018 PT18 with two built in wedges. they tried 2, 4, and 6 wedges on the 2017 to no avail. yeah, it stopped the porpoising but trimming up didn't do anything. hope it works out for you.
    "Trim wedges" are a band-aid covering up the symptoms of a much bigger problem. Its a bad hull design and "trim wedges" don't belong on the bottom of any proper hull.

6. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Original Tin View Post
    "Trim wedges" are a band-aid covering up the symptoms of a much bigger problem. Its a bad hull design and "trim wedges" don't belong on the bottom of any proper hull.
    ^^^I say yes & no on that^^^
    when talking "tin" boats, it may not be a "bad hull design", but just weight distribution when making the entire boat. Some can make the problem go away just by adding/subtracting/redistributing weigh in certain places (bow or stern) or is that just doing another "putting a band-aid covering up the symptoms" thing?
    Hull design can and may not be the problem in some cases............or maybe not

7. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by OhioChamp183 View Post
    ^^^I say yes & no on that^^^
    when talking "tin" boats, it may not be a "bad hull design", but just weight distribution when making the entire boat. Some can make the problem go away just by adding/subtracting/redistributing weigh in certain places (bow or stern)
    Hull design can and may not be the problem in some cases............or maybe not
    You're right...I should have said... Its a flawed hull design. The porpoise some of these hulls generate is not like anything I've experienced. My buddy and I did everything with weight distribution to motor height and even different props (cost him a bunch of $$)...NOTHING helped. His Ranger was VERY unstable and dangerous at speed. Finally Ranger warranty repaired his hull...welded tabs to the bottom. The boat still porpoises but not as bad and he lost some top end. He says he's happy but I know my buddy and I can tell he's not...I wouldn't be either for what he paid. Just sayin'

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12