Voters
118. You may not vote on this poll
  • Mercury Pro XS

62 52.54%
  • Yamaha SHO

56 47.46%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Motor Preference

My last post got a lot of feedback and got a little heated so maybe this will go more smooth. LOL

I will be buying a new boat after next tournament season. I currently have a 200 Mecury Pro XS Optimax. I have heard great things about the SHO's from dealers that work on both Yamaha and Mercury. I also heard it will save you a bunch of money on buying oil. I want to see what some of you guys think that have had experience with both.

Note: Evinude is not an option. We owned a '96 Envinude growing up and it was a great motor. However we bought a 2009 E-TEC and 4 lower units later I can't trust them anymore.
    2021 Bass Cat Eyra w/ 300 Mercury Pro XS

Dont have to buy oil but SHO cost more up front. There are other small $ differences but in the end the $ will work out to be close enough that it shouldnt be a deciding factor.

It really comes down to what do you prefer, or have confidence in, 2 stroke or 4 stroke. Assuming you have a dealer close for whatever you choose just in case. IMO the SHO is a better engine.
    2021 Phoenix 920 Elite / SHO 250
    Bullet 21XD / 250 XB (Gone to a great home in LA)
    "There is no such thing as a bad day fishing!"

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by J Risco View Post
    Dont have to buy oil but SHO cost more up front. There are other small $ differences but in the end the $ will work out to be close enough that it shouldnt be a deciding factor.

It really comes down to what do you prefer, or have confidence in, 2 stroke or 4 stroke. Assuming you have a dealer close for whatever you choose just in case. IMO the SHO is a better engine.
    Thanks! I have a Yamaha dealer about 5 minutes from my house however Mercury dealer is about an hour and a half drive.

4. Member
    One that don't cost an arm and leg, runs like a turpentined cat and don't blow up!!!

5. Member
    I really think cost, fuel mileage, speed, all that's pretty much a wash between the two. Dealer support is the biggest factor and personal preference. I love not dealing with 2 stroke oil, a quiet running engine that doesn't smoke, and all the power I need when I hit the throttle

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by blount8 View Post
    Thanks! I have a Yamaha dealer about 5 minutes from my house however Mercury dealer is about an hour and a half drive.
    You just answered your own question with that statement! I have had 3 Mercury Optimax (150hp, 200hp, 200hp) and I have a Yamaha SHO (250hp) now, hands down Yamaha!

I currently have a 200 Pro XS that runs like a bastard ape. Gas mileage is pretty much unbelievable but I believe a lot of that is in part because of all the prop work. I would get whatever is closest to you. They are both fine engines. With that said, I've rode in them all and the next one I buy will probably be a G2. You're only short changing yourself by not looking at them. They're bad.

8. Member
    I wouldn't shy away from either, both are great motors, but it seems there are more Mercury dealers around so I would give them the nod.

Merc for me love my optimax.
    Roy
    2020 Triton 18 Trx
    Mercury 200 Pro XS V8
    Bravo FS 24P Prop
    Atlas 6” jp
    Dual Humminbird Helix 10 MEGA SI
    Minnkota Ultrex.

I had an Opti on my last Ranger and had a problem with the seal at the bottom of the head leaking oil. This is a part that should never need to be replaced in the life of an outboard. Even though the warranty on the motor was about to expire when this started leaking, it took writing the President of Merc a letter for them to honor the warranty. That was the first time it leaked and I had to pay two other times to have that part replaced.

When I went looking for a new motor for my Lund, there was only one choice. (Even though our family had owned nothing but Johnsons or Evinrude up to that point, there was no way I was buying a Ficht and have steered clear ever since.) So, I bought an F Series Yamaha 4 stroke. Yammy had some issues with the SHO over the years, but recently I have not heard of many. However, if I were buying a new motor now, there is no question that I would buy an F Series 4 stroke Yammy.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

11. Banned
    I think you should Honda to the list. They aren't speed demon's but they get great fuel economy and last.

12. Member
    I have had both Mercury and Yamaha. I have been super impressed with my 250 Yamaha SHO. It was well worth the extra $1800

13. Member
    The operating cost is pretty much a wash from what I've seen. Reliability on all the major engines are pretty much the same as well. If you can hitch a ride in a sho powered boat for an hour or so that will really give you a good idea if you like the performance of it.

I'd have any of the major 3 to be honest.

Quote Originally Posted by Silkstringz View Post
    I currently have a 200 Pro XS that runs like a bastard ape. .
    Is that faster or slower than a raped ape?

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Yakalong View Post
    I wouldn't shy away from either, both are great motors, but it seems there are more Mercury dealers around so I would give them the nod.
    As close as I am to the coast there are just as many Yamaha dealers as Mercury because most of the saltwater guys run Yamaha.

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Hahn View Post
    I had an Opti on my last Ranger and had a problem with the seal at the bottom of the head leaking oil. This is a part that should never need to be replaced in the life of an outboard. Even though the warranty on the motor was about to expire when this started leaking, it took writing the President of Merc a letter for them to honor the warranty. That was the first time it leaked and I had to pay two other times to have that part replaced.

When I went looking for a new motor for my Lund, there was only one choice. (Even though our family had owned nothing but Johnsons or Evinrude up to that point, there was no way I was buying a Ficht and have steered clear ever since.) So, I bought an F Series Yamaha 4 stroke. Yammy had some issues with the SHO over the years, but recently I have not heard of many. However, if I were buying a new motor now, there is no question that I would buy an F Series 4 stroke Yammy.
    That adds up with what a mechanic told me about working with Yamaha versus Mercury. He said anytime he called Yamaha needing a part for warranty work they go it out to him no questions asked but Mercury was a different beast. Thanks for the response.

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jarhead175 View Post
    I think you should Honda to the list. They aren't speed demon's but they get great fuel economy and last.
    I have considered Honda however I don't have any dealers nearby.

18. Member
    My next motor will be a Honda or a Suzuki.

19. Ranger Boats Moderator jc2bg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Silkstringz View Post
    With that said, I've rode in them all and the next one I buy will probably be a G2. You're only short changing yourself by not looking at them. They're bad.
    Have to agree here. The G1 Evinrude got a whole lot better after 2010--my last 3 have been excellent, and my 2014 is the best of the bunch--but considering every bit of available data, the G2 outshines them all at present. And 8-10 years factory warranty? Wow.
    John Clark — Findlay, Ohio

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jc2bg View Post
    Have to agree here. The G1 Evinrude got a whole lot better after 2010--my last 3 have been excellent, and my 2014 is the best of the bunch--but considering every bit of available data, the G2 outshines them all at present. And 8-10 years factory warranty? Wow.
    I love the Evinrude engines. That E-TEC engine itself was amazing but unless they fixed the problem, the lower units were not made to withstand the torque put out by the engine. I talked to other E-TEC owners who had also went through multiple lower units. It's hard to trust an Evinrude after losing 4 lower units in less than a year.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast