Voters
118. You may not vote on this poll
  • Mercury Pro XS

62 52.54%
  • Yamaha SHO

56 47.46%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    The G2 is a different beast than the G1 but given your choices go with the SHO

2. Member
    Yamaha 4 Stroke, non-SHO.
    And Honda if an option.

3. Ranger Boats Moderator jc2bg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by blount8 View Post
    I love the Evinrude engines. That E-TEC engine itself was amazing but unless they fixed the problem, the lower units were not made to withstand the torque put out by the engine. I talked to other E-TEC owners who had also went through multiple lower units. It's hard to trust an Evinrude after losing 4 lower units in less than a year.
    I understand how you feel, but can only relate to a certain degree. I've owned 2 Mercuries and 14 Evinrudes over the last 37 years. Never had a lower unit problem with any of them, but the latest G1 lowers are stronger, and the G2 gearcase is redesigned and beefier yet.
    John Clark — Findlay, Ohio

4. Member
    Thanks! I have a Yamaha dealer about 5 minutes from my house however murcery dealer is about an hour and a half drive.
    . Knowing this should be a no brained unless the dealer is terrible. Buy the Yamaha you'll be glad to drive 5 min instead of the other if you have to

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Macsimus View Post
    Is that faster or slower than a raped ape?
    I believe it is just slower than a scalded ape.

6. Member
    I love the Evinrude engines. That E-TEC engine itself was amazing but unless they fixed the problem, the lower units were not made to withstand the torque put out by the engine. I talked to other E-TEC owners who had also went through multiple lower units. It's hard to trust an Evinrude after losing 4 lower units in less than a year.
    Sounds like a prop issue.

Ive had both motor in question and several of each. Out of warranty Ill take the pro xs, in warranty Ill take the SHO. SHO's are way too expensive to fix if they blow up out of warranty, but I much prefer the smooth running characteristics.
    2007 Sterling 22xs-Yamaha 250-Dual 10 foot blades-Ipilot-Bobs Jack plate-HDS 8 (SOLD)
    2016 Sterling 220XS: (SOLD)
    2008 SCB Topcat 250 XS (SOLD)
    Current:
    2014 SCB Stingray Sport Merc 300XS
    2018 ES Custom Revolution 25 Merc 400R

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jc2bg View Post
    Have to agree here. The G1 Evinrude got a whole lot better after 2010--my last 3 have been excellent, and my 2014 is the best of the bunch--but considering every bit of available data, the G2 outshines them all at present. And 8-10 years factory warranty? Wow.
    I agree. Really no other option...almost forced into a G2. I think it's been out long enough to gage the performance and reliability and I haven't heard of any major issues.
    SHO was overhyped and overrated for bass boat application.
    Mercury needs to up their game and not rely on their heritage for sales. I would love to see something worth while from them...Yamaha is got out of the 2S game way too early as they are not going anywhere and may put them out the bass boat game if mercury steps it up.
    Last edited by magnumb; 09-28-2017 at 12:59 PM.
    2005 206
    BRP 225 H.O. (E225DHLSOF)
    Fury 4 24p @ 5,750 fully loaded

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by linesider 159 View Post

Ive had both motor in question and several of each. Out of warranty Ill take the pro xs, in warranty Ill take the SHO. SHO's are way too expensive to fix if they blow up out of warranty, but I much prefer the smooth running characteristics.
    Something doesn't sound right...4 lower units in a year!!! Probably less than 10 hours each...setup issue or installation issue for sure. BRP outboard division would be out of business
    2005 206

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by linesider 159 View Post

We thought so too because the prop was a 28 I believe so we went with a 26 and it happened again.
    2021 Bass Cat Eyra w/ 300 Mercury Pro XS

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by magnumb View Post
    Something doesn't sound right...4 lower units in a year!!! Probably less than 10 hours each...setup issue or installation issue for sure. BRP outboard division would be out of business
    We used 2 different dealers throughout the process. Like I said we weren't the only ones having issues. I also heard that year they changed out all of the FLW tour guys lower units from the Lightening gear cases to the Magnum 2 gear cases because they were having problems.

11. Member
    We used 2 different dealers throughout the process. Like I said we weren't the only ones having issues. I also heard that year they changed out all of the FLW tour guys lower units from the Lightening gear cases to the Magnum 2 gear cases because they were having problems.
    Thank god my Lightning is still holding up. Maybe a bad batch of gears???
    2005 206

12. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    After two a TSR should have been engaged by the dealer. But seeing the Rude isn't in the equation the point is moot.

13. Georgia Bass Club Moderator fishnfool38's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Hahn View Post
    I had an Opti on my last Ranger and had a problem with the seal at the bottom of the head leaking oil. This is a part that should never need to be replaced in the life of an outboard. Even though the warranty on the motor was about to expire when this started leaking, it took writing the President of Merc a letter for them to honor the warranty. That was the first time it leaked and I had to pay two other times to have that part replaced.

When I went looking for a new motor for my Lund, there was only one choice. (Even though our family had owned nothing but Johnsons or Evinrude up to that point, there was no way I was buying a Ficht and have steered clear ever since.) So, I bought an F Series Yamaha 4 stroke. Yammy had some issues with the SHO over the years, but recently I have not heard of many. However, if I were buying a new motor now, there is no question that I would buy an F Series 4 stroke Yammy.
    This sounds like a replica of what happened to someone I know. For that reason seeing the way they done him, Mercury will never be another option for me!

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ChampioNman View Post
    After two a TSR should have been engaged by the dealer. But seeing the Rude isn't in the equation the point is moot.
    The problem is the motor was not under warranty at the time.

15. Scraps
    Look at the warranty coverage and the expenses to extend. I'm still choking on the Merc. costs for extending. It seems the "deals" on Yammy and Evinrude are better with warranty. IN part, maybe that's why they're more upfront in addition to the technology.
    2017 Phoenix 819
    2016 200ProXS, s/n 2B359849, Mod 1200P73BD

16. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    have seen and heard of wayyy to may Pro XS problems and blown motors, if I had to choose between Yamaha and Mercury it would be Yamaha..however I would go with Evinrude hands down with 8 to 10 year warranty.... Hondas are a great motor no doubt but have heard people say they lack the grunt. Suzuki would also be on my list before a Mercury. We as non pros lack the service trailers the pros have to keep our stuff running..

17. Member
    I would go with the SHO and later if you wanted more power just have it flashed to a 300

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Macsimus View Post
    Is that faster or slower than a raped ape?
    Being a bastard, its the illegitimate son of the raped ape so I'll go with youth....faster.

19. Member
    If quality and reliability are the driving factors over price, look at it this way...if the Pro XS and the SHO were the exact same price, which one would you buy? Yup, you know what to do.

20. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by grimsbylander View Post
    If quality and reliability are the driving factors over price, look at it this way...if the Pro XS and the SHO were the exact same price, which one would you buy? Yup, you know what to do.
    You couldn't give me an opti for free!!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast