Fishing in the Lewisburg Area

I spent the Sept 23 weekend in Lewisburg where I wanted to get some bass fishing in.

I made some phone inquiries to outfitters where I learned that the waters in the Greenbrier and other rivers and creeks was very low because it had not rained for some time, so rafting and fishing was a no-go.

I did more web research and settled on Monove Lake located in Moncove Lake State Park in Gap Mills where we could rent a jon boat. It was very odd that when I called the park, the woman said the the park has very few employees over weekends. She also said that the boats are rented after 10:00 am. (So much for the morning bite.)

Moncove Lake was very muddy. That was odd because there aren't any creeks dumping into it, and it ahd not rained.

The water was so coffee colored that we didn't rent any boat.

We saw an experienced kayak angler who couldn't explain it either. He also explained that the DNR killed off all of the lily pads where the lunkers hung out; and that really killed it as a fishery.

We moved to Lake Tuckahoe, a small reservoir. It had a lot of stick-ups because it's a new reservoir. Did some shore fishing [, but no luck. There was healthy looking grass and pads, but still no bite.

I would appreciate inputs from people who are familiar with the area

2. Member
    The fishing in the southern half of WV has been very tough since the flooding last year. It doesn't help that our DNR only cares about trout, wild turkey, and elk. There are some decent (for WV) bags being caught at bluestone lake.
    2016 Triton 18 TRX
    200 Mercury Pro XS

Quote Originally Posted by 13tzx190 View Post
    The fishing in the southern half of WV has been very tough since the flooding last year. It doesn't help that our DNR only cares about trout, wild turkey, and elk. There are some decent (for WV) bags being caught at bluestone lake.
    glad im not the only one that sees this. most people i talk to feel this way. i know we dont have the waters that other states have but it would be at least nice to see some stocking and resources being put towards bass.fishing here sucks!

Quote Originally Posted by wvbassmaster View Post
    glad im not the only one that sees this. most people i talk to feel this way. i know we dont have the waters that other states have but it would be at least nice to see some stocking and resources being put towards bass.fishing here sucks!
    That's pretty much to say for the entire state. There are some nice bass in WV, but they are far and few between. WV isn't really a state known for its largemouth, but someday I hope it is!!

2008 BULLET 21XD 2007 Merc 300xs

I lived in Greenbrier County for a few years. Tuckahoe Lake has some big bass in it. It gets fished heavy by locals.
    Moncove Lake has never really been a popular Lake for fishing. It's more of a recreational get away lake.
    The Greenbrier Riverbianprobablu the best place in WV to catch smallies.
    Bluestone in the spring is my favorite water to fish. Largemouth and smallmouthcall day long from one end to the other.
    1999 Ranger R91 / Mercury 200 EFI.