Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Banned
    I would ask the new company if they would allow you to give a 2 week notice to your old company and allow you to work it if they allow you to. Not good to burn bridges when leaving jobs as you never know down the road would you might be working for or alongside, especially if staying in the same field and geographic area. You could also ask the company to give you any take home materials to look over/ study to help shorten your learning curve time-frame.

2. Ohio Fishing Reports Moderator omcforever's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by smalljawguy View Post
    Minimum 2 week notice in my opinion. Other than that, be up front with them, thank them for the opportunity and let it go at that.
    and offer to train your replacement if possible.

Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill !!

3. Member
    I would make sure how your prospective future employer feels and get a good grip on how soon they need you then talk to your present employer they may just say go for it but at least everyone will be on the same page. Good luck

4. Member
    It is definitely a new era with very little loyalty from either side. I'm old school and would give two weeks notice and I for sure wouldn't trust a company that didn't want me to give two weeks notice before leaving my old job. You have to do what's right for you and your family.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Perry View Post
    Be honest. say exactly what you just said when you sit down to talk with them. Prepare a resignation letter beforehand thanking them for your time there that includes your last day you will be there. Take the high road in the letter and walk away respectfully. That is about all you can do.
    That's good advice. Just go in there and be honest. They might not like what your saying but they will respect it

6. Member
    Give two weeks notice and leave on as good a terms as possible, don't burn any bridges you never know if you may be talking to your old co. in the future. Make darn sure the new co. is going to wait the two weeks you need to start there.
    1987 Ranger 373V 150 Yamaha proV still going strong.

7. Member
    My first thought is just like everyone else"two weeks notice",that's how I was taught. But Chris makes some good points about the world having changed and things move much faster( a big BBC dislike) than 40 years ago. Give as much notice as you can.
    Red Sox in 6!

8. Member
    In writing and as short as possible. Anything more you are leaving yourself open for negotiations

9. Banned
    Tell your boss " I am giving my two day notice I will not be back after today" No seriously 2 week notice they will probably not let you finish that but have enough pride not to walk out.

10. Member
    Talk to new employer about two week notice to your current employer. They should respect that. Also inform your new employer that you will follow up with them once you tell your current employer. Give your current employer the notice and tell them you are willing to stay through x date if they want you to. A lot of time last current employees will tell you to go ahead and best of luck.

11. Member
    How much of a notice do you think you would get if they let you go

Be honest. say exactly what you just said when you sit down to talk with them. Prepare a resignation letter beforehand thanking them for your time there that includes your last day you will be there. Take the high road in the letter and walk away respectfully. That is about all you can do.
    This. And I would add keep in the back of your mind they would get rid of you at the drop of hat if the situation warranted it, so don't let guilt get in the way of a better job.
    Patch Pirate In Training
    XPress H20B 115HP Yamaha
    Raymarine a78
    https://bigbassflies.blogspot.com

13. Shutterbug Forum Moderator bdog7198's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SOUTHERNYANKEE View Post
    How much of a notice do you think you would get if they let you go
    When it happened to me I was walked out immediately, paid for 60 days then my 25 weeks of severance started.

Had been with the company 1 day short of 16 years.

14. Banned
    Another thing to consider is unemployment benefits. Say you leave without a 2 week notice and shortly after getting to the new company they let you go for whatever reason. Guess what your unemployment benefits will be denied for not giving a 2 week notice! Now if you give one and they let you go anyway, that's on them and they still have to pay the benefits.

I never have hard feelings with an employee trying to better his position. Be professional because you will need the company again for references someday.

16. Member
    You know on your end how to handle it. you can't control their end so do everything in a professional manner and enjoy your new opportunitys. My old company the office manager left for a better job and made herself available for the new girl the best she could until she got a grasp on things.

you could pull a George Costanza and do something similar??

Quote Originally Posted by Phrog Phil View Post
    My first thought is just like everyone else"two weeks notice",that's how I was taught. But Chris makes some good points about the world having changed and things move much faster( a big BBC dislike) than 40 years ago. Give as much notice as you can.
    Thanks Phil. To the OP, hopefully the new company will allow you to give proper notice once you explain to them that it's important to you but you do need to be prepared to make a decision if you're backed in a corner. I've never left a job without giving notice but if I absolutely had to for the betterment of my family, I would in a heartbeat. The world isn't perfect sometimes.

^^^^THIS^^^^ If you really want to, go ahead and give three weeks notice.

20. Dogfish_Jones
    I would give a 2 week notice and as said before, I would expect to last that long, if any after you give your notice.
    A question to you, if the company you are working for now decided to terminate you, how much notice would they give you?
    Another question, would you really give it your all in those two weeks knowing you are leaving?
    Third question if I may, Is there any chance you would not be hired because of a two weeks you would have to commit to the company you work for now?
    In my position, when a person gives me a notice to leave, I just tell them, thank you for your time here, but I really need people to be thinking of making this place better and shake their hands and we part on good terms. I have found that keeping an employee after they turned in their notice becomes very open as to why they are leaving and will even disrupt the others that he/she works with. The other employees are seeking reasons as to why are you leaving, which of course is natural but the answers may really surprise a lot of people. Some examples, the other job pays a lot more than here, you need to go check out others jobs too and make more money. Maybe they will say, this person or that person is not a good person and i am leaving. Maybe they will say, this company is going nowhere and I want to find something more dependable long term. Now all these statements can be true, but if they are false you then have created a work force that seemed to be very good now looking elsewhere because of that person leaving desire to work someplace else.
    Again, I shake their hands, wish them luck and if they were/was a good employee might even hire them back later on if need be.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast