Some good disability news for a change.

A fellow Airborne Vet at my church has been complaining about his back pain. He has over 60 static line jumps and over a 160 free fall. He was on the Army's Parachute Team that traveled around the world doing exhibitions. Pretty neat stuff. He's in his sixties, no kid. I asked him a few times if he had a disability and he would say that he didn't think he hurt enough. Moving forward he had to go in for some serious surgery. When he returned to church, I again talked to him about applying and I got his attention. I told him what he needed to do and where to go for assistance. During his exam it was also found that his knees and hips where in bad shape too. They farmed out his review to a civilian doctor. So yesterday I saw him at church and he was awarded a 100% disability, plus the whole process took only three months, great news. I think that going to a real civilian Dr. was a good thing. Plus, it looks like Trumph got the waiting time down too. It took me 18 months to get my disability, so indeed that part is much better.

Lake Norman, N.C./New Britain, CT.
    An Khe 66-67

2. Member
    What changes were made to cut wait times? I know the Choice program from 2014, allowing private doctors, has been extended. I have not heard of any changes that would affect wait times for disability approval. HAs there been a change?

3. Member
    Very good Don.

4. Airborne/Infantry bassnman81's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by onrecess View Post
    What changes were made to cut wait times? I know the Choice program from 2014, allowing private doctors, has been extended. I have not heard of any changes that would affect wait times for disability approval. HAs there been a change?
    Trumph said he was going to cut the red tape on claims. The doctor that he went to was not a choice plan doc, he was a subcontracted doctor to the VA for claim evaluations. The choice plan still sucks, what they need to IMO is just give us guys a medical card like blue cross so we can go anywhere we please.

Lake Norman, N.C./New Britain, CT.
    An Khe 66-67

5. Member
    It's a sin the VA isn't funded better. Freaking disgraceful.

6. Member
    The VA budget is through the roof, something like 180 Billion? The problem is it's an inept government program full of fraud waste and abuse.

I'd rather them give me a card that allows me to seek care at a doc of my choice and see the VA healthcare system scrapped.

https://www.veteransactionnetwork.ne...her_countries/

When you look at articles like the one above you see while we only make up about 6% of America, and only a fraction of us actually use the VA for our healthcare, the sheer numbers involved make it darn near impossible to manage.

Sorry, I get VERY frustrated on this subject. Mainly because I've paid my own VA disabilty payment from my DOD pension check for the past 17 years. The fact I have to do that is horsechit!!!

He should have receive up to 6 years back pay too.. That's the most they (VA) can pay backwards..
    2001 Ranger 518DVX Comanche / Mercury 200 Opti (OT306368)

8. Banned
    My buddy was badly injured in Ranger parachute training, and he finally received his disability status last year--at 64 years old. When our soldiers now return from combat, they are all very heavily documented for potential injuries.

9. Member
    Good news for once.

Quote Originally Posted by CigarBasser View Post
    He should have receive up to 6 years back pay too.. That's the most they (VA) can pay backwards..
    The back pay only goes back to the date that you file. The 6-yr back pay only applies if you have the injury/disability recorded in your Medical file while on active duty.
    Ranger Boats / Mercury Motors
    G Loomis Rods / Shimano Reels
    Raymarine / MinnKota Ultrex
    Garmin / Live Scope Plus
    Pepper Jigs / Robo Worms
    Troll Bridge / V-T2 Vents