Lake Lanier Help!

Can anyone give me some pointers for good areas to fish on Lake Lanier as well as best lures to use. I have recently moved to the area will be looking fishing Lake Lanier as it is the closest to where I live. Any help would be greatly appreciated. You can certainly PM me if you prefer.
    Thanks,
    2001 Skeeter ZX225
    2001 Yamaha VMax 225 OX66

2. Member
    YGPM

3. Georgia Bass Club Moderator fishnfool38's Avatar
    What is your style of fishing? Are you use to highland reservoirs?

They're many patterns that work on Lanier as any other lake. But the consistent bite is open water with topwater, jerk bait, spinner bait, spoon, worm etc...depending on seasons if you can't pull them up then a drop shot or other finesse worm (my least favorites) presentations will work. If I can't get them up I will cast a jig around the brush if nothing then I will go in with the no brainer rig (drop shot) and drop straight down on them.

Also most of the time even if they won't hit topwater/jerk baits spinner baits etc... they will follow them, this is another time to have a drop shot ready.

Spoons, flukes, crank baits, wake baits all have their time as well.

The biggest thing on Lanier is electronics and ability to use them. You can catch fish without them but the consistency is all about them. The many humps, trees, brush, ledges, channels etc... that make up Lanier is laden with fish. Well once was before people started dropping live bait on the brush and timber.

Anyway I would suggest a guide if you want to shorten your learning curve. Study and understand the thermocline then time behind the screen you figure that out, the spots will eat just about anything.

We are coming into a seasonal change that's one of my favorite times of the year with cold fronts starting to push thru and the lake starts turning over! The large mouth bite will start turning on if you know what to do.

Go out a day with Jimbo on Lanier. You will learn wayyyy more and much quicker.

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

5. Member
    It fishes a lot like Clarks Hill and Hartwell, typical herring lake.

6. Member
    Thanks for the info everyone. I will certainly be given it a try.
    2001 Skeeter ZX225
    2001 Yamaha VMax 225 OX66