Thread: BFL Buggs

BFL Buggs

Way to Jonathon Guins on your come back win...SB...
    2006 Ranger 188 VX with 150 E TEC and I EAT BASS!!!

2. Banned
    Good job!

Way to go Jonathon!!!!
    Sterling 22XS / Mercury Pro XS V8

Wish I would have made the cut. Fog delay hurt my fish and my mind.
    Neil Eckberg- Cary, NC - 2008 Skeeter ZX250- 250 Yamaha SHO

Kerr Lake Ba$$hole

5. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Neilslure View Post
    Wish I would have made the cut. Fog delay hurt my fish and my mind.
    Fishing is more of a mind game than people realize.

6. Member
    totally agree, with you Jamie, when that clock starts ticking, I panic, I fish way to fast, swapping rods baits to quick, always seem if I pulled up at a good spot seems like I'm already looking or thinking about the next spot and haven't made 5 cast yet, and then let another boat come by, I go all to SHIZZZ, thinking I wish I went to that point first hoping I could fish my way there, dang it. Then sometimes I can fish slow and don't even bother me that there is another boat close to me, sometimes I have fell right in behind another boat fish the same bank and saw he didn't boat a fish and I have picked up 3 keepers on same bank. Its getting that first fish in the boat with in the first hour I do ok, but let it be one of those days where I'm still shaking after the boat ride, I get the trimmers, I can't stand it, I guess its the competitiveness in me wanting to prove myself I can do this, its like in high school football until you get that first hit in its all good then, game on.

7. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Wells View Post
    totally agree, with you Jamie, when that clock starts ticking, I panic, I fish way to fast, swapping rods baits to quick, always seem if I pulled up at a good spot seems like I'm already looking or thinking about the next spot and haven't made 5 cast yet, and then let another boat come by, I go all to SHIZZZ, thinking I wish I went to that point first hoping I could fish my way there, dang it. Then sometimes I can fish slow and don't even bother me that there is another boat close to me, sometimes I have fell right in behind another boat fish the same bank and saw he didn't boat a fish and I have picked up 3 keepers on same bank. Its getting that first fish in the boat with in the first hour I do ok, but let it be one of those days where I'm still shaking after the boat ride, I get the trimmers, I can't stand it, I guess its the competitiveness in me wanting to prove myself I can do this, its like in high school football until you get that first hit in its all good then, game on.
    Now I don't hardly ever panic. I have learned that I can catch the winning fish in the last hour just the same as I can catch them in the first hour.
    Last year at Buggs in a NC BFL at my first spot I lost the first 7 bites that morning. The fish were biting funny and when I would set the hook I would pull them sideways and they would all come off. I'm sure there was probably something that I could have switched and done better but instead I pulled the trolling motor up and told my co-angler well I guess it just aint mint for me to catch these so I run about 10 miles down the lake to another spot and stop and started fishing again. It was about 9:30 and I still didn't have any in the boat. I then threw a spinnerbait up by a bush and a good 3 pounder came out and crushed it. I set the hook on that one and the wire on the spinnerbait broke. I looked at my co-angler and laughed and said well I guess I aint going to catch these either. I ended up moving to another bank and processed to wreck them on the same bait I started with that morning. I ended catching about 30 keepers after 11am and finishing 4th. It would have been easy to get spun out with the way the day started.
    I have had numerous tournaments were I have caught my best fish in the last hour.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamie View Post
    Now I don't hardly ever panic. I have learned that I can catch the winning fish in the last hour just the same as I can catch them in the first hour.
    Last year at Buggs in a NC BFL at my first spot I lost the first 7 bites that morning. The fish were biting funny and when I would set the hook I would pull them sideways and they would all come off. I'm sure there was probably something that I could have switched and done better but instead I pulled the trolling motor up and told my co-angler well I guess it just aint mint for me to catch these so I run about 10 miles down the lake to another spot and stop and started fishing again. It was about 9:30 and I still didn't have any in the boat. I then threw a spinnerbait up by a bush and a good 3 pounder came out and crushed it. I set the hook on that one and the wire on the spinnerbait broke. I looked at my co-angler and laughed and said well I guess I aint going to catch these either. I ended up moving to another bank and processed to wreck them on the same bait I started with that morning. I ended catching about 30 keepers after 11am and finishing 4th. It would have been easy to get spun out with the way the day started.
    I have had numerous tournaments were I have caught my best fish in the last hour.
    More tournaments are won in the last hour than the first hour.

9. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by kickinchicken83 View Post
    More tournaments are won in the last hour than the first hour.
    I agree.

10. Member
    won two tournaments last year, didn't have a keeper in the boat in either one of them at 11 am. Took me several years of tournament fishing to learn not to spin out when things weren't going my way

11. Member
    Heck, i do my best fun fishing. Cant get bit during a tournament.