Adjusting super tuned reel

Just got a metanium mgl used that has been tuned by Colt. I am trying to throw a 3/8 Oz bladed jig with small 3" swim bait trailer on phrnix 744 rod with 16 pound sniper on it but it seems no matter how I adjust the brake or the spool tension it either backlashes or ends the cast prematurely in the sense of you can see that the spool tension is too tight when watchig the spool towards the end of the cast the line is still tight on the spool and they don't know how else to describe it other than you can see that the spool is too tight.
    When I press the button to just let the bait. Right down to the floor the spool does not move at all as if I loosen it then I end up with some form of backlash during the cast or mid cast you can see it close to backlashing as line "flaring up on the reel.
    I'm sure there's something I just do not understand and may need to actually manually adjust the brakes so I am asking for input as I've not had this issue on my Aldabarens or any of my Daiwa reels. Thank you in advance.
    Where are the BIG ones? When are we going?
    LOOKING for a Great deal on a Slightly used 20-21' Boat.

2. Member
    I have stock MGL,-avesome reel! Never had any issues ...You better ask Colt or who sell you the reel,what kind of tuning was done,and maybe start from there?

3. Member
    Something certainly doesn't seem right. I've tuned several dozen Met MGLs and have yet to see the issue you are describing. Maybe try lubing the brake cone and make a few short cast to see how it responds and go from there.

Typically I set the spool tension with the CC Cap so that there is just barely any play. I always start with 2 brakes, and the adjustment dial at 6. Give that a shot and see how it responds.

4. Member
    Not sure if you have used at Met MGL before so bare with me... You have 3 ways to slow down or speed the spool up that can be adjusted to influence casting distance. First you have the internal system which can be accessed by removing the side plate. Start with maybe engaging all of the internal brakes except 1 or 2. This should keep it pretty tame. Next you will find a small black wheel like dial under the reel with numbers on it. Set it pretty high at first so there is a bit more breaking involved. Lastly like PikeRoad said adjust the circular spool tension knob to remove side to side play. You don't want it see to loose to where they bait drops like a rock but not so tight that it barely drops with the thumb bar id engaged.

The external black wheel underneath the reel with numbers has a pretty good influence on control IMO. So set it somewhat controlled and then start losing up the this dial some before disengaging another internal brake.

My un-tuned Met MGL is as tame or as wild as I want it to be but the reel is 100% stock with not tuning, polishing, bearing changes, etc.

If you feel like you have exhausted all combinations of adjustments and can't get it sorted out I would contact the seller from who you purchased it from or this Colt fella (never heard of him before whether it be good or bad) and ask him what all he 'did' to the reel and how he suggests to set it up.

Should all of the above fail Byran Lambert at the TackleTrap is your man for the job. Send it to him and see if he can figure out what is going on with it.

Something is up. Feel free to give a shout I will walk you through a couple things. Make sure the reel is nearby if you call. Dan
    " Serious Service for the Serious Angler"