Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Happy or not with purchase of travel trailer?

Started the research a few months ago for a travel trailer. We are looking at either a grand design, jayco, keystone premier or outdoors rv. Except for the outdoors rv (made in Oregon) have less than stellar reviews. Reading most of the reviews makes me start to wonder about buying a TT and being totally disappointed in the workmanship. Saying all that, anyone satisfied with their decision on make and model? Anyone totally unhappy with their make and model? Thanks for your experiences. Oh am looking at 1/2 ton capable with a max weight of 6500 lbs give or take. We may move up to a 3/4 ton or dually depending on what we decide to purchase but would like to stay with the 1/2 ton.

2. Member
    I have owned 7 different ones, have 2 now and I recommend Jayco all the way. They have superior workmanship as compared to all the others I have owned and looked at.

I have a 2013 Jayco and have had no issues at all. A buddy has a 2001 Jayco and it has held up well , only minor wear and tear.
    Bryon

I have owned a lot of TT and 5th wheels and 4 have been Jayco. I have a 34' Jayco TT now and IMO they are built well. I even had a Jayco pop up at one time also great Good luck!
    89 Ranger 360v/05 Optimax 200

I have a Coachman Liberty Series 29 ft and its nicer than the average trailer but if I replace it I like the Jayco .

6. Banned
    My GF has a Keystone, and I wouldn't wish that thing on my worst enemy. Never another fiberglass for us.

We have a Coachman Catalina and its been great for the 2 years we have had it. The entire RV industry has issues with quality unless you step up into the expensive premium lines. I spend some time on RV forums and from what I gather the factory employees have certain number of units they are required to pump out each day and the quicker they finish, the quicker they get to go home.

I beleave you are correct, every video I see of a camper being built it's like a race to put it together , and that explains a lot .

9. Member
    I have a 2014 keystone Passport , love it no issues

10. Member
    I have a 2017 Dutchman Denali. No issues but of course it’s only a year old. I did a fair amount of research before I bought and this was the one that impressed me the most.

We recently bought a 2018 Keystone Passport and love it so far.........but we've only had it out once. Plan to do some fall camping soon. It only weighs 4770 dry and I can easily pull it with my Tundra. Wanted to get something that would tow easily and still have enough room for us and the grandkids. Went with the bunkhouse model because that's what the kids wanted. The wife wanted an exterior kitchen and I wanted at least one slide. We all got what we wanted in this trailer.......now we just have to use it!!
    09 20x3 w/Merc 250 Pro XS

12. Member
    After you have narrowed down the possibilities, haunt a few campgrounds and see if you can find older versions of the make/models you are considering. Water intrusion is the biggest camper killer. Look for wavy or buckled panels that are a dead giveaway that water is getting in.

13. Member
    Thanks for the input. We decided to go with a reflection 5th wheel by Grand Design. My wife wanted 2 important features. She is 4'10 so the microwave had to be low enough for her to use without dumping food on her 2nd, the shower had to be big enough for her to wash her hair. The reflection 29RS fit her bill. We pick it up mid November from northern Indiana We will camp in it for a few days up close to the dealership then bring her home to TN. looking forward to this new chapter in our retirement years.

14. Banned
    We have the Grand Design Reflection 36 ft. 4 slide bunkhouse model. It weighs 11k lbs. Dry and is the maximum my 3/4 ton diesel truck can handle. In 3 years, it has given us very good service. We leave it in the NE GA mountains in a campground with storage.

With the Land Between the Lakes, KY state parks and a couple of TN state parks closeby, Clarksville is a very centralized place for great camping.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bamaman View Post
    We have the Grand Design Reflection 36 ft. 4 slide bunkhouse model. It weighs 11k lbs. Dry and is the maximum my 3/4 ton diesel truck can handle. In 3 years, it has given us very good service. We leave it in the NE GA mountains in a campground with storage.
    With the Land Between the Lakes, KY state parks and a couple of TN state parks closeby, Clarksville is a very centralized place for great camping.
    It's good to hear other reflection owners are happy with their campers. once we get home Piney campground on KY lake will be our first spot to camp.

16. Member
    If you decide you want to go on a road trip then come to Middlebury, IN and visit Jayco. They give factory tours where you can see how our units get built. We have a visitor center with units set up and there is also a hometown dealer north of town. I have worked at jayco for 14 years and i agree it is fast paced and the sooner we get done with our daily quoted the sooner we go home. But that goes with all the other rv companies around here. I also have seen how some of the other companies build their products. With that said i would only consider buying a jayco knowing how we build our units. Thor bought jayco last summer but we have not had any changes.

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by FishFish View Post
    If you decide you want to go on a road trip then come to Middlebury, IN and visit Jayco. They give factory tours where you can see how our units get built. We have a visitor center with units set up and there is also a hometown dealer north of town. I have worked at jayco for 14 years and i agree it is fast paced and the sooner we get done with our daily quoted the sooner we go home. But that goes with all the other rv companies around here. I also have seen how some of the other companies build their products. With that said i would only consider buying a jayco knowing how we build our units. Thor bought jayco last summer but we have not had any changes.
    Thats some good info right there!
    2001 ChampioN 206 Yamaha 225

18. Member
    We recently bought a 2017 Keystone Sprinter Campfire Edition 25RK model and have throughly enjoyed it. It is 29' 8" and weighs in at 6320 lbs. I have no issues towing it with my 2015 Chevy 1500 with auto leveling hitch (just got back from a trip to Ga mountains). The campfire edition comes with a lot of bells and whistles that I believe are not present in the other models - arctic package (extra insulation/etc), wide body frame with 15" tires (makes towing much smoother), automatic leveling system, etc. I also like the built in black tank flush system - just hook up a hose to the outlet to flush it out at the dump station. We have found no issues with fit and finish and have thoroughly enjoyed it to date. Good luck on whatever you decide on.

Quote Originally Posted by FishFish View Post
    We are considering a Jayco Eagle Destination model .

No doubt Jayco makes a great trailer! That being said, I have a 2011 Bullet Premier (Keystone) and I have had no real issues with it. I own the 31BHPR model and after looking for a year this is the best trailer I could find under 6500 pounds that met our needs. Good luck in your search!