2008 X21 Tournament Series, finally back on water

Purchased this boat in May, but have had myriad issues. Battery issues first, then hit submerged pipe practicing for tournament and had to repair lower unit, more delays. Melted exhaust manifold twice in Yamaha VMax 250 HPDI. Mechanic solved finally after we searched internet to read so many people had clogged water ports around exhaust manifold. Yamaha was not real helpful to say the least.

Love the room as does my #2 son who fishes with me a lot. Pops on plane faster than anything Ive been in. Its been a bummer not having boat most of summer with repairs, but have my trusty old Javelin 389 in driveway always willing to go fishing. Havent had time to check prop to pad but I will say shes dances a bit too much over 65 and I am a bit chicken to just push through it. Mechanic hit 73 in latest post-exahaust melt down trials. 10" manual jackplate 27 pitch 4 blade powertech prop.

I am trying a Terrova since I did not want to cut a TM tray in this boat. Too many cross members when I looked under deck. But after years away from a servo style TM and running cable steer I feel like a Googan who cant control a boat. Wanted the terrova to allow me to troll hybrids and stripers, something I like to do in addition to bass fishing. May have to put on a plate to swap out TM's for bass and trolling. I'll play with it over the Fall and see if I can get my dance moves going on the terrova.

Rigged right now with a Helix 9 SI KVD at console and 959C running through US2 on bow, not yet linked together, both an upgrade over my 5" units on the old 389 and much to learn.

Original owner seems to have mucked up all the hoses in the livewell system as well as issues with pumps and valves. I have them up and working but fish dont seem happy in livewells so I think I will replace all of it this winter with new quick connect tubing to make sure all of the issues should be solved. Goody I love to work in the bilge area scraping up my knuckles (sarcasm), but at least I can get it right.

Hoping this is my last boat. Its big, lots of room, low hours on the motor (200), love the quick plane since I am usually keeping an eye on wife or son(s) in boat and want to see ahead as quick as possible. Talons in the future I think.

Didnt want 2 boats but given the glut of old boats for sale it not likely I can get much out of my old Javelin, maybe 3K, so might as well keep her as a spare. Son #3 is only 4 and absolutely gaga to fish. Son #2 fishes almost every day and mom is a pretty good stick so in a year or so probably let them take the J while the tow head power fisherman comes with me. Cast cast cast, eat snacks, repeat.

drjkl1, great post, welcome to the Xpress boards. Ya know, some pics would be great, everyone might wanna play then?!

Almost bit the bullet on a used X21 myself a few weeks ago, but the bottom of the boat had more waves than the gulf during a hurricane. Looked like the owner had spent all day running through a stump field just to see if he could rip the motor off the back.

As far as your prop to pad, if she is dancing around at 65, raise the motor. I’m assuming she was dancing at 65 with the 250, correct? If it were me, I would max out the HP to repower. The bigger motor will not have to work as hard as a 200, therefore increasing your engine life. Mpg’s, I’m sure, would be better with the 250 as well. You would also have a higher resale value if ya ever needed to get rid of it. Boats.net has the 250 SHO’s going for $18.7K right now.

I wouldn’t be too worried about the TM tray. I put a TM tray in my X-19, cut through the cross member with a Metabo & have had no problems. I’m right at 200 lbs & have fished 2 people off the front deck with no flexing.

I have always said that my X-19 would be my last boat, this is my 4th Xpress & they’re built like a battleship. As a matter of fact, my first X-19 did have the motor ripped off the back by the previous owner, no structural damage to the transom whatsoever.

Here’s a pic of my girl…..

Coonnasty

Cajun Navy 2016
    2000 X21 DC, 225 EFI

That's a good looking rig right there bro! Love it!
    Xpress X19/200SHO

Thank You, Sir!
    Coonnasty

Cajun Navy 2016
    2000 X21 DC, 225 EFI

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by coonnasty View Post
    drjkl1, great post, welcome to the Xpress boards. Ya know, some pics would be great, everyone might wanna play then?!

Almost bit the bullet on a used X21 myself a few weeks ago, but the bottom of the boat had more waves than the gulf during a hurricane. Looked like the owner had spent all day running through a stump field just to see if he could rip the motor off the back.

As far as your prop to pad, if she is dancing around at 65, raise the motor. I’m assuming she was dancing at 65 with the 250, correct? If it were me, I would max out the HP to repower. The bigger motor will not have to work as hard as a 200, therefore increasing your engine life. Mpg’s, I’m sure, would be better with the 250 as well. You would also have a higher resale value if ya ever needed to get rid of it. Boats.net has the 250 SHO’s going for $18.7K right now.

I wouldn’t be too worried about the TM tray. I put a TM tray in my X-19, cut through the cross member with a Metabo & have had no problems. I’m right at 200 lbs & have fished 2 people off the front deck with no flexing.

I have always said that my X-19 would be my last boat, this is my 4th Xpress & they’re built like a battleship. As a matter of fact, my first X-19 did have the motor ripped off the back by the previous owner, no structural damage to the transom whatsoever.

Here’s a pic of my girl…..

When you say raise the motor if it is dancing around at high speeds, do you mean vertically with the jack plate or with the trim. Mine has that issue but not right until I get to about 60. I have an X-19 with a 175 SHO and it tops out about 64 but right before it gets there it is kind of all over the place. I was at about 4.25 below the pad and just moved it up to 3.5 below the pad since I had over 20lbs of pressure at 4.25. Should that also help with the dancing? BTW, nice looking X-19, mine is very similar, solid charcoal hull as well but I just have the raised Xpress letters at the back. Its an early 2018.

Thanks.

Yes, raise the motor with the jack plate but keep an eye on the water pressure. When the boat starts chine walking, there’s too much prop in the water. You have to create somewhat of a down force, that is accomplished by raising the motor, it makes the prop dig more. If that makes any sense?

Coonnasty

Cajun Navy 2016
    2000 X21 DC, 225 EFI

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by coonnasty View Post
    Yes, raise the motor with the jack plate but keep an eye on the water pressure. When the boat starts chine walking, there’s too much prop in the water. You have to create somewhat of a down force, that is accomplished by raising the motor, it makes the prop dig more. If that makes any sense?
    Thank You, I do watch the water pressure. I will make sure to keep it at 15psi or more. I had no idea the height had to do with how squirely it got. I'm curious how it rides now that I am up to 3.5".

Sorry about hijacking the thread but wanted to get the answer to this since I have not seen it come up before in conversations. Maybe it can help someone else as well.

Thanks

8. Member
    Do you have the stock OX66 lower unit? If so you will be just getting to a sweet spot and your water pressure will start dropping. That will be where you want to run it. I was close to 70 or right at it in my boat with the same engine. Around 3" if I remember. But it was a bear to try to turn at that speed. CJ
    OOps, sorry I thought you were the OP.
    2002 X19 200HP OX66 HO Vmax,HPDI lower, it lives, thanks Hydro Tec.

Yes, it's the stock OX66 lower unit. Think I'm at 4" prop to pad right now, still playing with that. May end up putting the HPDI lower, if I don't bite the bullet on a new SHO...
    Coonnasty

Cajun Navy 2016
    2000 X21 DC, 225 EFI

10. Member
    Hope this picture works, I tend to be a tool w/this website. I locked myself out the other day forgetting my password so just got back on. Been out a couple times since the latest exhaust build and seems all is well. I have yet to get over to some flat ground to measure motor height. For this boat what do y'all recommend prop/pad? Thanks for the input, I too assumed squirelly was too high not to low so looking forward to dialing it in.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Clean lookin' rig ya got there! I would start at 3.5" prop to pad.
    Coonnasty

Cajun Navy 2016
    2000 X21 DC, 225 EFI

OH yeah, like that red! Looks good bro!
    Xpress X19/200SHO