Newer style oil injection removal? 0T921189

Hello. Just got a 2004 Mercury 200 EFI (0T921189) to replace my old 1986 XR2. I have always premixed my outboards, and like knowing 100% for sure the engine is getting oil if it's running (no parts to fail). This newer engine, however, seems to have a different oiling system than my old Black Max, so I wanted to know if it's still ok to remove it and premix, and if so, what Mercury parts do I need to properly eliminate the system? Thanks for the help.

2. Member
    the elect oil pump on those are very relieable systems that should be a 3.0L engine ,need to change reeds worse than remove oiler if it still has metal ones in it
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

So, it's not recommended to premix these motors? It is marked as a 2.5 liter if that makes a difference. Also, included are pictures of the oil system. Thanks

4. Banned
    If it is working properly I wouldn't mess with it. I know they can be removed but it needs to be done right I would take it to a Mercury tech.

5. Member
    it is 2.5 my bad id leave it on they are good systems
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

Absolutely leave the electronic injection ON. Its dependable and works great. The mechanical system is a different story.
    Mark
    2003XB/225 Promax

7. Member
    It's been done. Just gotta loop the pump and leave it on then premix or else the computer won't like it.

8. Member
    don't forget tank sensor

Thanks for all the input so far. So, this system is very dependable and should be left alone. However, if one were to remove it, they would just take the output from the oil pump and connect it to the input oil line on the onboard tank, creating a loop where the tank feeds the pump, which just pumps the oil back to the onboard tank constantly recycling the same oil in a closed loop? If this is correct, it makes sense and of course I would assume you plug the oil line which actually feeds oil into the fuel system. Are there any benefits of keeping the oil injection other than not having to measure oil when you fill up and slightly less smoke at idle?

10. Member
    Best leave alone and let the Computer do the work .

I appreciate the input, it was exactly what I was looking for. I wouldn't ask for advice just to ignore it, so I'm going to keep the oil injection as this seems to be what everyone is saying. I bought new oil lines and a remote tank to install in the boat. I still have mixed gas in the tank, so the first tank of gas I run through it will double oil the motor, but I'm guessing that shouldn't hurt anything. Thanks for the advice, and also thank you for letting me know about the option to loop the oil system if I ever decide later to premix for whatever reason.

12. Member
    I would try and get as much of the mix gas out of the tank. * Think these engine with the computer at wot the ratio is 40.1 .

Leave it alone, they work fine to 7200rpm, my simon box had the limiter removed and ran to 92mph,no oiling issues, i have same motor on my allison now, while i rebuild my 260, 3 yrs and 180 hours since i rebuilt it, .015 over pro marine internals and stock 6050 limiter and never any issues 'cept the check valve. They are bulletproof oilers.

14. Member
    I would loop it. I lost a 225x because of issues.

15. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    I have seen only ONE failure on this design- and that failure was electrical (and induced by someone accidentally damaging the harness to the oil pump, as in PINCHING it).

For your engine, I would absolutely recommend you stick with the oil pump and keep it fully-functional.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor