Jigging for Sauger

Back when I fished a lot over 10 years ago I bass fished, all the time eat, sleep, BASS. Then one night we were fishing one of the concrete bridge pylons as we caught some good smallies there the night before. We were fishing a relatively small (25 boat) tourney and were trying to grab a couple more fish before we made it back to the ramp and this spot was about a 1/4 mile out. Well I was fishing a pumpkin seed jig and it kept getting hammered but I was losing them before the boat. I finally got it up to the boat and keep it mind it's pitch dark except for our interior floor lights, I start to lip the sucker because it looks like a small mouth and I had never caught a sauger. My co angler in the back yells "your about to get your finger tore up" Well I bring the fish down to the light and sure enough it has a mouthful of teeth. I ask Pokey, "what the heck is this a walleye"? He says " your close, it's a cousin the sauger". I start to throw it back and again stops me, "man those are killer eating" So I put it in the live well and carry on. We picked up one more good bass and 2 more saugers while fishing that pickup spot. We got home and I immediately went for the filet board and bench out back. I fried them up in some Cajun seasoning like I would a flounder and WOW! it was delicious, the best eating fish imo and I am counting crappie too. So not too bore you guys with any more stories I am now going to focus on sauger and walleye and bass fish with a couple buddies when they want to. I have the Clinch river, Tennessee river, and Holston river right in my back yard so to speak so sauger should be no problem. I will try Norris lake for walleye around the first of the year. I have a couple questions if any of you have sauger or walleye experience. Everyone I have talked to around here about sauger say the same thing. "You got to fish a heavy red or pink head jig" and we're talking 1-1 1/4 oz jigs, with chartreuse or white hair. The decision is split between footballs, stand ups and plain ole round heads. I have a jig head I would like to try but idk if it would be any good, it's giving me good vibes though. It's called the H&H Rattlize and it looks the part. Am I allowed to post a link of the jig and where I found it? If so I will pop a link of the one I found. If any of you guys have any tips that would be great too, i have watched a ton of videos already lol. Thx again!

We vertical jig in the current below dams here in the winter. We use enough weight to keep the line vertical under the boat as it moves in the current. Takes me awhile to get the feel. They have the lightest bite. It's one of those feel anything different set the hook. As it goes by their nose they will mouth the bait and just sit there and you won't know until you lift the rod a little and feel the weight. They are fun to chase after.

3. Member
    Yep, very good eating. Now someone lock/delete this thread NOW!

4. Member
    Why lock or delete the thread?

5. Member
    Let location depth and current determine jig weight. Also try 3 way rigs with a short dropper to 6-8 inches for both hook and weight. Blade baits are used a lot where I fish (Pickwick). Also double rigs with small paddle tails with a slow troll and stop method around the dam. Further down river and deeper you go is when the heavy jigs come into play for me. Use as much weight as it takes to hold the bait vertical and no more. Don't use braid unless you have a bionic elbow. Do use fluorocarbon, lower stretch and better hookups.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TNRoostertail View Post
    Why lock or delete the thread?
    So no one sees it!

7. Member
    We were catching them on ky lake trolling Shad raps in about 20 fow. Also dale hollow is packed with walleye.
    2023 Phoenix 819 pro
    2023 200 Pro XS 4s 3B373365

pond boat
    2020 pelican Bass raider 10E

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Transom View Post
    So no one sees it!
    LOL I gotcha, sorry still don't know all you guys so wasn't aware you were joshin me.

Thx for the tips guys, giving me at least a good tackle set up for the attack. I think i will focus Fort Loudon dam and the Tennessee river as they have the best reviews.

9. Member
    We fish vertical for them using blade baits. 12# mono. Loose the heavy hooks and split ring then install VMC #6 treble hooks. If you snag the bait, just shake on a semi-tight line and the weight will dislodge the hook. Not messing with feeding bites, we are getting reaction bites.

10. Member
    I shouldn't tell you this but.................The "Secret" of the northwoods, Its a hoot!

11. Banned
    1-1 1/4 oz. jigs , with or without minnow, white or chartreuse works well, include treble hook stinger and your in business.

12. Member
    Usually fish for walleye/sauger below river dams. I like using plain round head jigs in varying sizes and a curly tail. I never found jig head color to be a big deal and after getting snagged up a few times, it's just cheaper to get plain heads. Depending on current flow, I'll switch between sizes until I can bounce them along the bottom without getting snagged.