The Kairos Lures Guy Fidgetcranker's Avatar

Power Pole Angles

So, I started out with my poles angled out at the top in a fairly wide "V" position.
    No reason really, it looked cool, and I thought I may have seen a pro with them that way so I tried it.
    Well, it seemed to me when the wind was up, there was a tremendous amount of stress on the blades. They would really bow a lot.
    So I changed them to straight up, and they seem to dig in better, and aren't as stressed in windy conditions.

Is there a specific reason that some of you that have your Blades angled in... or out?
    I've seen them different ways, and wonder if it's just personal preference, or if there is a method to the madness.

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fidgetcranker View Post
    So, I started out with my poles angled out at the top in a fairly wide "V" position.
    No reason really, it looked cool, and I thought I may have seen a pro with them that way so I tried it.
    Well, it seemed to me when the wind was up, there was a tremendous amount of stress on the blades. They would really bow a lot.
    So I changed them to straight up, and they seem to dig in better, and aren't as stressed in windy conditions.

Is there a specific reason that some of you that have your Blades angled in... or out?
    I've seen them different ways, and wonder if it's just personal preference, or if there is a method to the madness.

If you have Yamaha SHO they have to be in "V" position, it is a must. If you put them straight up and down you can't turn the SHO sharp left or right, not safe.

3. Member
    I actually bow the top of mine in. The service trailer at thr opens told me the more you can get away with it the better the hold is. When I'm trimmed totally up they rub but I only am trimmed like that loading usually. I can hold with 10 foot blades in 30mph winds like that

4. The Kairos Lures Guy Fidgetcranker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GEEBASS2000 View Post
    If you have Yamaha SHO they have to be in "V" position, it is a must. If you put them straight up and down you can't turn the SHO sharp left or right, not safe.
    This is not so with my boat, a 921/SHO. Mine are straight up and I can make FULL sharp turns in both directions.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fidgetcranker View Post
    This is not so with my boat, a 921/SHO. Mine are straight up and I can make FULL sharp turns in both directions.
    Turn your outboard max right or left you will see its close and you most likely have 12 inch setback because it's a 921. Now with 8 inch setback you have to "v" them. I have a mark on my cowl from trying straight up. Power pole put mine back to "v" at service trailer.

6. The Kairos Lures Guy Fidgetcranker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GEEBASS2000 View Post
    Turn your outboard max right or left you will see its close and you most likely have 12 inch setback because it's a 921. Now with 8 inch setback you have to "v" them. I have a mark on my cowl from trying straight up. Power pole put mine back to "v" at service trailer.
    I see.... Yes 12" setback on my 921...14" when I put my spacers on. They are off right now, but not for long.

7. The Kairos Lures Guy Fidgetcranker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gatorsin09 View Post
    I actually bow the top of mine in. The service trailer at thr opens told me the more you can get away with it the better the hold is. When I'm trimmed totally up they rub but I only am trimmed like that loading usually. I can hold with 10 foot blades in 30mph winds like that
    Impressive! What boat/motor do you have?