Electric / Hyd Trailer brakes?

Anyone have experiences with electric activated hyd trailer brake systems? I have an older trailer with no brakes and adding a hyd actuator would pretty much be a no can do. Really like the way the elect brakes work on my utility trailer, but they are drum brakes and for a boat I really prefer disk. Thinking with an elect/hyd system I can have the disks and no mechanical actuator. Any experiences or suggestion?

2. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    What kind of tongue does your trailer have that a bolt on actuator won't work?
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

Quote Originally Posted by CatFan View Post
    What kind of tongue does your trailer have that a bolt on actuator won't work?
    The kind that is not worth butchering and modifying to add a "bolt on" actuator! Would it be possible? yes, but not about to cut up a trailer when there are other options.

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Islands; 09-24-2017 at 02:53 PM.

Have used two different goose neck stock trailers that were equipped with electric/hydraulic brake systems.
    IMO they were the best I have ever used on heavy trailers . especially since you could still change the braking power as needed depending on how heavy you were loaded or running empty.

I feel like they may not last as well being submerged, if they did wouldn't a premiere manufacturer like ranger use them?
    Mercury 250 proxs 2B115089

6. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishysam View Post
    I feel like they may not last as well being submerged, if they did wouldn't a premiere manufacturer like ranger use them?
    The part that gets submerged is the same as with surge brakes. The reason nobody uses them is that it adds $600 plus over a surge actuator to the cost when you factor in the E/H actuator and brake controller.
    nothing else matters.​

Quote Originally Posted by CatFan View Post
    The part that gets submerged is the same as with surge brakes. The reason nobody uses them is that it adds $600 plus over a surge actuator to the cost when you factor in the E/H actuator and brake controller.
    Exactly -- they are pricey and IMO overkill for a bass boat.. But in this case maybe an option if he can find one worth the money.. may even be a used one someplace.
    most newer pickups with (tow package) have the brake system built in now

0.75% more expensive not to have surge brakes would be worth it on a 80,000 boat
    Mercury 250 proxs 2B115089

9. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishysam View Post
    0.75% more expensive not to have surge brakes would be worth it on a 80,000 boat
    I'd rather pay more and get surge brakes. They are simple and self-adjusting for load. I have 6 trailers, 5 with brakes, and spend way more time working on any other trailer's electric brakes than I do the surge brakes on the boat trailer. An electric controller with hydraulics would be the worst of both to me. The only advantage I could see would be the option of disk brakes on a heavy trailer where surge brakes weren't an option.
    nothing else matters.​

Quote Originally Posted by fishnfireman View Post
    Have used two different goose neck stock trailers that were equipped with electric/hydraulic brake systems.
    IMO they were the best I have ever used on heavy trailers . especially since you could still change the braking power as needed depending on how heavy you were loaded or running empty.
    I do appreciate the input. Were they disk or drum systems?

Surge brakes are not an option. If you look at the pic of my trailer coupler you should see a bolt on hyd actuator will not work. That would mean cutting and welding which is not happening. The boat/trailer is not a drive on setup. It is a float on and does mean that often the coupler is submerged which is another reason I am steering away from hyd actuator. I would not want to submerge any actuator. With an electric actuator I could elevate the actuator so it would not get submerged. I am currently down to six trailers myself and I actually like the operation and maintenance of the electrics on my enclosed utility over the surge systems on three of the others, but those electrics are drum brakes and like I said in op I don't want those on a boat trailer. Been there and done that. Just thought the elec/hyd system might be a way to add brakes, but beyond that it's 50 year old boat trailer that has worked and might just stay the way it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Islands View Post
    I do appreciate the input. Were they disk or drum systems?
    one of each--- liked the disk better -- both had the electrical box mounted up under the gooseneck so no weather problems ..
    have not had an issue with either unit just like the disc better as they seem to have more stopping power when loaded heavy.
    Personally I would like a set on my boat--I get tired of the banging and slop between the receiver and the actuator-- I'm also old school and like to be able to apply the trailer brakes at times without the truck brakes.. Especially in slick conditions
    Last edited by fishnfireman; 10-03-2017 at 04:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by fishnfireman View Post
    one of each--- liked the disk better -- both had the electrical box mounted up under the gooseneck so no weather problems ..
    have not had an issue with either unit just like the disc better as they seem to have more stopping power when loaded heavy.
    Personally I would like a set on my boat--I get tired of the banging and slop between the receiver and the actuator-- I'm also old school and like to be able to apply the trailer brakes at times without the truck brakes.. Especially in slick conditions
    Thanks again for great info and I am very pleased to hear the elec/hyd system works well with the disk brakes as that is the way I would want to go. Have had both elec and hyd drum brakes on boat trailers and the drum brakes were always the weak link maintenance wise. Also old school, a little flick of the switch and all is good.