2000 Johnson 225 HO smoke question

So after having my new to me boat out a few times I have noticed this thing smokes upon startup like you are fogging for mosquitos. Anyone know a reason for this or is it just normal? I still have the oiling system hooked up so I wonder if it is leaking while the engine sets not running.

Without knowing the type of oil the previous owner was running could switching to a synthetic like xd100 possibly help. I highly doubt he was using high dollar oil. Could going through a decarbonization process help ? I cant imagine it would but heck if I know.
    Otherwise the engine runs great. As long as you prime the bulb it will start right up. I cant complain at all.

2. Member
    Curious what oil are you running?

3. Member
    The jug he gave me is Penzoil premium plus. So I assume thats what he was using I have not had to add any yet.

4. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    You can run XD-50 not problems, if your dealer has it in bulk you can save off the shelf price by bringing your jug. Depending on the amount you use the fuel enrichener will depend on the amount of smoke the motor emits. I run the same motor as you and mine smokes on initial start up, my 2000 MY 200 did it, my GT150 did it my 1977 75 did it. Don't worry about it.

5. Ohio Fishing Reports Moderator omcforever's Avatar
    Smoke means plenty of lube.....

Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill !!

6. Ohio Fishing Reports Moderator omcforever's Avatar
    My 94 115 does. My GT150 is the same,,,plenty of smoke at start up. Run 50:1 pre-mix for normal everyday cruising and fishing. I run 40:1 premix for long hard runs. I run conventional pulse pumps on these 2. My VRO 140 smokes at start as well.

Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill !!

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by omcforever View Post
    Smoke means plenty of lube.....
    nothing better than the smell of 2 stroke smoke in the morning!!!!
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

8. HYDRA SPORT LS205 225HO JER-1 BIG BASS's Avatar
    My 1999. 225 ho smokes pretty good also, I even add a little oil with gas maybe 100/1 just in case the oiler would ever go out.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Axkiker View Post
    The jug he gave me is Penzoil premium plus. So I assume thats what he was using I have not had to add any yet.
    I have a 98 Evinrude 90 and I am also using the Penzoil premium mine smokes pretty good also! So it may just be the nature of that oil?