Thread: 2012 z 8 setup

2012 z 8 setup

I recently purchased a 2012 z8 nitro with 250 pro xs. It has 25 fury and 10" atlas jackplate. When I test drove it by myself and boat empty I got to nearly 72 before it was chine walking so bad I backed out. I figured I'd wait until it was mine to try and tame it. I figured I would settle it down some once I added my tackle too. So now I'm only getting 69 with tackle, passenger, nearly half tank of gas and turning 5700-5750 rpms and I have to bury the jackplate for that. If I raise it up there is no lift and runs much slower. So what's a good prop to try and good starting point on the jackplate? I figured dropping down to smaller prop might help get rpms up. Oh and holeshot is best I've ever seen. It pops up with a second. Thanks
    Last edited by moodyjeremy; 09-27-2017 at 09:39 PM.

2. Member
    First you need to measure where that motor is actually is prop to pad half way on the scale for a reference point. You should not have to bury the motor to get your highest rpm's either so you probably need to trim it out and raise the motor. It should run 3 1/2" to 3" under prop to pad with the fury but you might need a tempest to get some bow lift.

I was wrong it's a 25 fury and not a 26. When I raise the motor and trim it the boat eont lift at all. I have to bury the motor to get any lift.

4. Pat Goff
    Are you going fishing with an empty boat? No?
    Go put your stuff in it, fill it with gas and then see what it does, then and only then will you know what needs to be done.
    Pat Goff

Two degrees from center
    of nowhere.
    Smithwick TX.

[SIGPIC][<a href=http://www.bbcboards.net/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=583&dateline=1498828542/SIGPIC] target=_blank>http://www.bbcboards.net/image.php?t...828542/SIGPIC]</a>

Quote Originally Posted by pmgoffjr View Post
    Are you going fishing with an empty boat? No?
    Go put your stuff in it, fill it with gas and then see what it does, then and only then will you know what needs to be done.
    you must have not read all my post. I test drove it empty and got 72 now since I've added my gear I get no lift and only get 69 so those numbers are with loaded boat. I can get my hands on a tempest 25 and a bravo to try too.

6. Member
    from what ive seen the fury wont carry a load as well as the tempest and tempest lift better
    fury is good for lighter boats and nitro isnt known for being light...

Ok thanks. I've been thinking of trying a 25 tempest anyway.