wider boat better for rough water?

I know the wider boat makes the platform for fishing more stable, but does it help that much in rough water. If not what is the best feature to look for in a tin boat to provide the safest ride in 20 mph wind.

2. Member
    High sides and a deep V, like some of the star craft. Not necessarily the best combination to fish from, but if the ride is more important, then that's what you want.

3. Member
    In my opinion narrower beams cut through waves better than wider beams with all other things he being equal.

4. Banned
    Size matters.

Quote Originally Posted by slonezp View Post
    Size matters.
    That's what she said!

It depends on the boat. I was on a wide boat with a friend but it had low sides. The wind and whitecaps made for some nasty boating. So wider is not always better.

Eat, Sleep, Hunt & Fish

2010 Tracker Tournament V18 18' 3"
    Mercury 115 ProXS 4Stroke Mercury Spitfire X7 Prop 21P
    Minn Kota 80lb Thrust Ultrex.
    6 inch CMC Pro Hi-Jacker
    Humminbird Helix 10 DI G4N W/FFS @ Bow
    Humminbird Helix 9 DI G4N @ Bow
    Humminbird Helix 9 SI G4N @ Console
    Smartcraft Merc Monitor (Basic)

6. Member
    Long skinny deep V will be your best ride in rough water. Look to offshore race boats for guidance. Two very skinny hulls are even better apparently ;}
    A wide hull just catches more of the wave for you to plow through.
    Ranger RT188 (2015)
    Mercury Optimax ProXS 115, 4" Setback Plate
    Minn Kota PowerDrive V2 iPilot 70lb
    Garmin 73SV @ Helm, 93SV Chirp @ Bow

7. Banned
    I guess we should ask you to define rough. Great Lakes rough? Kentucky Lake rough? Boat and barge traffic rough? Small lake rough? I think length, weight distribution, and driving experience. Secondly, running balls out from spot to spot is not always the safest driest ride. A v hull or hull with a pronounced keel will cut thru waves better than a mod v or a flat bottom. A mod v with a pad hull will navigate rough water better than a mod v without a pad depending on the driver, and the longer the boat the better.

8. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Bosh View Post
    Long skinny deep V will be your best ride in rough water. Look to offshore race boats for guidance. Two very skinny hulls are even better apparently ;}
    A wide hull just catches more of the wave for you to plow through.
    What's nice about the off shore fishing boats is the way they transition from a sharp v to a wide beam. Unfortunately there isn't an aluminum boat on the market that can come close,

I agree with slonezp. my PT18 has a 96" beam and doesn't handle rough water any better than any other tin bass boat.

It's really about the total hull design. A wider boat gives more surface area for water to slap against not helping for a smooth ride. So the hull and pad of the boat need to be designed not to have large flat impact areas. Wether it be a glass boat or Tin boat it's the same principle.

11. Member
    Some great answers, I was considering trading my boat in for a wider same length boat, but I don't think I would gain that much. I will spend my money on upgrading electronics and taking more fishing trips.

12. Banned
    There's more to it than just width. Obviously a wider hull will not cut through the waves as well, all other things being equal.
    Wider, but with a deep-V, will give the best ride if needing a wider boat.

13. Banned
    V