Banned

Overheated Plug and Receptacle

I have a MinnKota Maxxum 24V 80 lb thrust trolling motor. Serial#M276MK00043, model#1368580. The build date of this TM is Nov. 2, 2013. My question is I ran the TM for possibly an hour with little to no stopping at around a 75-80% power searching for a lost item on the water and as a result overheated damaged(melted) a portion of the plug and receptacle. Is this a normal happening? The TM plug & Receptacle that was being used was a Marinco Style Boat TM plug and receptacle.

No, not normal. I would bet that you have some corrosion on the wires or the plug that generated enough resistance and heat to melt the plug.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Hahn View Post
    No, not normal. I would bet that you have some corrosion on the wires or the plug that generated enough resistance and heat to melt the plug.
    Either that or a loose connection HOWEVER most T/M's run continuously on very high power will find any weak link in their system. I run the Marinco 12/24 volt 4 pin connection trouble free for decades but the three connection (pin) Marinco seems prone to corrosion. My Marinco 4 pin female bulkhead connector lets any water drain right through but a closed female connector can trap water with bad results.

4. Member
    I will resort back to Bill Dance commercial. DON'T DO THAT.
    No troll motor system will withstand that type of usage. Plugs and receptacles are weak points. Therefore when you run a troll motor at 75-80% for an hour what happens is voltage begins to drop and amps start to rise. Amps create heat, heat melts insulation and or plastic. It don't matter how good a connection you have. Loose connections will contribute to the problem.
    Not surprised at all that this has happened.

5. Banned
    The point of greatest resistance will be the point that heats up.
    Replace the plug, and don't work the motor so hard, for so long.

6. Banned
    Exactly what I have done Nova Kaw 650. I removed the damaged plug and receptacle to install a New Minnkota MKR-18 plug & receptacle along with the 6 gauge Adapter. The original TM plug and receptacle was a Marinco style boat trolling motor plug & receptacle kit 12/24 V, 4 prong. Thanks for the info Sir.

7. Banned

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nova Kaw 650 View Post
    The point of greatest resistance will be the point that heats up.
    Replace the plug, and don't work the motor so hard, for so long.
    All points of resistance will heat up.

9. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Transom View Post
    All points of resistance will heat up.
    True, but the more resistance, the greater the potential for heat.

10. Banned
    Oh yeah not going to ride the TM again if I can help it. I lost a $400+ rod and reel over board a few days ago and spent over an hour riding the TM over a small area. That I believe is when I damaged the plug and receptacle of this Minnkota. Until that time I had not run the TM more that 20-25 mins at one time and then at a slow speed around 4-45 %. Anyway I have installed a New MinnKota plug and receptacle along with a adapter to handle the 6 gauge wire. What a mess but got-er-done. That's my story and I'm stickin' to it! LOL

11. Member
    The above are all good points and also let me add . I had a similar happening thank god for a fire exigusher. I have same plug when I replaced mine now as a habit I put a little dielectric grease on the female socket every year when I put up the boat and that stopped it dead in its tracks

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Heelman99 View Post
    Oh yeah not going to ride the TM again if I can help it. I lost a $400+ rod and reel over board a few days ago and spent over an hour riding the TM over a small area. That I believe is when I damaged the plug and receptacle of this Minnkota. Until that time I had not run the TM more that 20-25 mins at one time and then at a slow speed around 4-45 %. Anyway I have installed a New MinnKota plug and receptacle along with a adapter to handle the 6 gauge wire. What a mess but got-er-done. That's my story and I'm stickin' to it! LOL
    As others have said, resistance is the reason for melting the plug. However, I might add the plug you're describing is one that I have seen melt more than any other. It was not designed to handle the higher amp draw trolling motors nor the 6ga wire used today. That is the reason for the adapter. With the adapter, you have a screw/compression connection to the adapter, then screw/compression connections to the 6ga wire, all potentially heat sources.
    BBC Sponsor since 2006: (870) 773-3474
    Mon - Thrs 8am - 5pm Central
    Friday 8am-12pm
    Garmin Certified Dealer and Installers: Call us for all your Garmin Electronics needs!
    ASC for: Garmin, Lowrance, Minnkota, Humminbird, and Powerpole.
    [SIGPIC] http://www.jonestrollingmotor.com
    [/SIGPIC]

13. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonestrollingmotor View Post
    As others have said, resistance is the reason for melting the plug. However, I might add the plug you're describing is one that I have seen melt more than any other. It was not designed to handle the higher amp draw trolling motors nor the 6ga wire used today. That is the reason for the adapter. With the adapter, you have a screw/compression connection to the adapter, then screw/compression connections to the 6ga wire, all potentially heat sources.
    Thanks Mr Jones for the response and sorry to take so long to comment. I had the original plug and receptacle but was directed to use the prescribed Minnkota plug and receptacle with 6 gauge adapter. I have them installed and now making other improvements with boat power distribution. Thanks again Mr Jones.