dyna beads for tandem trailer tires

Anyone tried balancing trailer tires with balancing beads?

2. Member
    Never tried in trailer but was not happy with them in truck tires. Took a while for them to balance out so some thumping when starting from stop.
    Joefish
    2007 Ranger 178DVS
    Evinrude ETEC 150

<*)}}}><

On all 2018 Rangertrail trailers balance beads are standard equip. Didn't say which brand or type.

4. Member
    Thats correct. The Ranger trailer engineer told me they were going to use them. He said that they have found that their trailers can go out of balance very quickly at around 1000 miles or so using the metal weights. Trailer tires do not behave like passenger or truck tires.

5. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Tromanoski View Post
    Thats correct. The Ranger trailer engineer told me they were going to use them. He said that they have found that their trailers can go out of balance very quickly at around 1000 miles or so using the metal weights. Trailer tires do not behave like passenger or truck tires.
    That's interesting.............. since the products (that determine the balance of a tire) in any cured tire absolutely can not shift or move.

Quote Originally Posted by Nova Kaw 650 View Post
    That's interesting.............. since the products (that determine the balance of a tire) in any cured tire absolutely can not shift or move.
    I was thinking the same thing. Maybe the rims or parts of the rims are shifting around!
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

7. Member
    Maybe so I am no expert for sure. All I can say that is what one of their trailer engineers told me when I talked to them about my second blowout that I had with Carlisle tires. He said that their trailer tires are going out of balance to soon using conventional metal weights. Give them a call. Im sure they can give you more detail as to why.

For sure. I dont believe that at all. A tire is a tire a wheel is a wheel doesnt know if its on a trailer truck car whichever. Crappy rag tires maybe. Weights work just fine mine have been on a year and far more than 1000 miles if i take them off and balance them im sure they will still be right on or dang close.
    Roy
    2020 Triton 18 Trx
    Mercury 200 Pro XS V8
    Bravo FS 24P Prop
    Atlas 6” jp
    Dual Humminbird Helix 10 MEGA SI
    Minnkota Ultrex.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by basstrackeroptimax View Post
    For sure. I dont believe that at all. A tire is a tire a wheel is a wheel doesnt know if its on a trailer truck car whichever. Crappy rag tires maybe. Weights work just fine mine have been on a year and far more than 1000 miles if i take them off and balance them im sure they will still be right on or dang close.
    Suit yourself with your opinion. Im not saying you are wrong or right. Like I said Ranger gave me a long discussion on why they went to dyna beads. In a nutshell they said a towed trailer acts a lot differently than a car or truck when going down the highway and in their opinion after being towed for a few thousand miles or less, the trailer tires tend to go out of balance. Thats what they said their testing showed. So they switched to the dyna beads when coming from the factory. I got metal weights on my tires when Discount Tire mounted my new Goodyear Endurance tires. I asked about the dyna bead balancing system and they said their engineers looked into them and decided not to to use them. But they sell very few trailer tires compared to what they offer.

Quote Originally Posted by Tromanoski View Post
    Suit yourself with your opinion. Im not saying you are wrong or right. Like I said Ranger gave me a long discussion on why they went to dyna beads. In a nutshell they said a towed trailer acts a lot differently than a car or truck when going down the highway and in their opinion after being towed for a few thousand miles or less, the trailer tires tend to go out of balance. Thats what they said their testing showed. So they switched to the dyna beads when coming from the factory. I got metal weights on my tires when Discount Tire mounted my new Goodyear Endurance tires. I asked about the dyna bead balancing system and they said their engineers looked into them and decided not to to use them. But they sell very few trailer tires compared to what they offer.
    And im not trying to argue with you either. To me its just not logical. I would be really curious to see how an "engineer" will prove that a trailer tire that is balanced will be any different than the rear tires of a front wheel drive car. Neither is driving or steering the vehicle just rolling and supporting weight. Yet car tires somehow stay balanced with wheel weights. How in the hell is the tire going to know any different. If the tires are the proper weight rating nothing will change. Look how long folks went without balancing trailer tires at all still the majority dont lol.
    Roy
    2020 Triton 18 Trx
    Mercury 200 Pro XS V8
    Bravo FS 24P Prop
    Atlas 6” jp
    Dual Humminbird Helix 10 MEGA SI
    Minnkota Ultrex.

Could it be the tire itself going out of balance since ST trailer tires are not the same construction as car/truck tires?

12. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Warpig556 View Post
    Could it be the tire itself going out of balance since ST trailer tires are not the same construction as car/truck tires?
    Short of the tread wearing unevenly, it's impossible for the products in a tire to shift and go out of balance.

13. Member
    I dont know what kind of tires you have NK650, but any tire can go out of balance for any number of reasons. Trailer tires are built differently than car/truck tires. Trailer tires tend to sit idle for days on end and can develop a flat spot, especially over the winter months. Tires get beat to hell on bad lake roads, with little to know shock absorption, and develop weak/bad spots, it only takes one hard impact in a chug hole and tire can be out. Tandem axle trailers are really hard on tires when you turn sharply the rear tires get drug sideways v. pivoting like a single axle trailer causing cupping and uneven wear. The heat cycles a tire goes through when running at highway speeds for long periods of time can cause a tires ply/belt construction to loosen up and shape differently. Thats why you have blow outs. It does not take a significant amount of "out of round" condition or material weight change to affect a tire and cause a vibration at 70mph.

Checking the balance every couple of years is really good idea and will go a long way to making your tires last longer and your wheel bearings too, especially if you do a lot of highway towing. Not to sure about the bead balancing thing. I remember along time ago they use to do that a lot with motorcycle tires but it looks like it is making a resurgence for all types of tires.

14. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by rampaage View Post
    I dont know what kind of tires you have NK650, but any tire can go out of balance for any number of reasons. Trailer tires are built differently than car/truck tires. Trailer tires tend to sit idle for days on end and can develop a flat spot, especially over the winter months. Tires get beat to hell on bad lake roads, with little to know shock absorption, and develop weak/bad spots, it only takes one hard impact in a chug hole and tire can be out. Tandem axle trailers are really hard on tires when you turn sharply the rear tires get drug sideways v. pivoting like a single axle trailer causing cupping and uneven wear. The heat cycles a tire goes through when running at highway speeds for long periods of time can cause a tires ply/belt construction to loosen up and shape differently. Thats why you have blow outs. It does not take a significant amount of "out of round" condition or material weight change to affect a tire and cause a vibration at 70mph.

Checking the balance every couple of years is really good idea and will go a long way to making your tires last longer and your wheel bearings too, especially if you do a lot of highway towing. Not to sure about the bead balancing thing. I remember along time ago they use to do that a lot with motorcycle tires but it looks like it is making a resurgence for all types of tires.
    Sorry, everything highlighted above is old-wives-tales, and completely untrue, with regards to "balance". Any tire damaged is going to eventually blow out, but it has zero to do with the balance of the tire. Belts and products don't "loosen up", ever. If heat, impact, or manufacturing defect cause the steel belts to separate from each other, or from the carcasse, then they have very few miles left before a blowout. Tires do not take a "set", or "flat spot" that will ever end up as a permanent condition.
    The only way for a tire to ever get out of balance is uneven tread wear.
    Re-balance to your heart's content, but it won't help anything unless the tread is worn unevenly, and even that is very minor.
    I've built tires for the past 38 years, have all the tire construction courses and rubber tech courses, and keep up on all the latest info.

15. Member
    You missed one. Weights come off. Many of the wheels used today use stick-on weights. I've had 'em come off more than once.
    2008 Bass Cat Pantera Classic
    2014 Mercury Pro XS 200

Uneven tire wear will in fact change the balance of a tire. I have over 5 Million miles in my own Semi and we used to monitor my tires and balance closely. Before Balance Beads we actually would put 3 Golf balls in each tire !! YES it did work, then
    they came out with Balance Beads. The last 10 or so years before retirement, I used Balance Masters which is a ring with Mercury that mounts behind the wheel and balances on the fly. Balance is much more important than most folks think !! Better balance=smoother ride=longer wear=BETTER fuel mileage=Happy Driver/owner !!
    Ranger Boats / Mercury Motors
    G Loomis Rods / Shimano Reels
    Raymarine / MinnKota Ultrex
    Garmin / Live Scope Plus
    Pepper Jigs / Robo Worms
    Troll Bridge / V-T2 Vents

17. Member
    As I have now installed 4 new endurance tires on the 1988 ranger trail tandem and used the recommended amount of ceramic balance beads as charted on the beads site, I can reveal after 200 miles of primary and paved secondary roads there was no balance related shake or vibration. I have not had a smoother running set of trailer tires. The original BF GOODRICH white letter bias tires were not as smooth. The boat is a 1988 396V with a '88 Johnson 200 GT so there is a load to bear. I am pleased, yes I am!!!

18. Banned
    You wont feel an out of balance trailer tire unless your riding on the trailer or in the boat.

19. Member
    Maybe not can feel it but the vibration can be seen in the fiberglass fenders on my trailer.