z20 or z21 questions

I'm in the process of purchasing a new bass boat and I'm seriously considering the 2018 Nitro z20 or z21 and have some questions I'm hoping can be answered here.

First, I'm a big guy at about 270lbs, and one of my fishing partners is bigger and pushing 330 lbs or so. The 2018 z20 shows a rating for people of 575 lbs on the nitro website. Question: Is that really too small for me and my fishing partner, or is that a loose guideline? The z21 is rated for 825lbs. Wondering if I need the bigger boat.

Second, if I do go with the z21, is the 250 Optimax enough motor? It's rated for up to 300hp with 225hp as the base motor but it's a $7000 upgrade to go from 250 to 300. Would love to hear from people that run with 2 big guys in a z21 with the 250 and what performance they see.

Third question: Is test driving a boat, or a similar boat to the one you want to buy uncommon? The dealer I'm working with doesn't do them.

Thanks for the help. Looking forward to getting back on the water.

2. Member
    I would say Z21 all the way. I have a Z21 and been in the Z20 and I just really like the extra room and ride of the bigger boat. Preformancewise you will be around 70 mph give or take a little depending on load and setup. You will probably not find a lot of real work info on the 300 just because it limits your ability to fish certain tournaments so you do not see many of them out there.

3. Member
    I have a Z20 with a 250 Vrod, power poles and a 36v trolling motor. Personally, I don't think it is enough boat for the load you are talking about. You should be able to get a ride in one if you want. If the dealer doesn't have one ask for one of his pro staffers who does to give you a test drive or find another dealer. That is way too much money to spend going in blind.

4. Member
    3 people in my z20 (250,275,&300lbs) 30 gallons of fuel dual power poles outrageous amount of tackle and rods and reels boat drives and runs like a dream still can hit 68 under these conditions no problem personally love my z20 and the layout my reason for going with it been in a few tournament rigged heavy loaded down z21s and they've been doggish I think personally a z21 needs a 300 only way I would buy one but then for obvious reasons tournaments you then can't fish because of the hp where do you live at in Arkansas I'm always at table rock or ozarks would be willing to give you a ride anytime you won't believe how smooth this boat handles big water rides like a dream have left several ranger friends with a stunned look on their face because it's such a nice boat
    2023 Nitro Z21 XL Pro
    2023 Pro XS 250
    Lowrance Ghost
    Lowrance HDS 12 Live
    Lowrance HDS 12 Live
    Dual CM2 8' Blades

Tow Vehicle
    2022 GMC AT4 3500 HD Crew Cab Duramax
    2008 Dodge Ram 3500 6.7 Cummins

5. Member
    Thanks for the responses. I'm leaning towards the z20 with the 250 right now. I could spend the extra to get the z21 but wouldn't want to go bigger than 250 on that and I'm afraid it would be sluggish under heavy load.

The dealer I'm working with is trying to arrange something with one of their pro staffers for a test ride. If that doesn't work out, I may be hitting you up for a ride Nitro_Z20. I'm in northwest arkansas next to Beaver lake, so Ozark or Tablerock wouldn't be that long a trip to make sure I'm happy with the boat.

Anyone else have other experience with 2 big guys in the z20 or z21 with the 250? Really appreciate the input.

Thanks.

As far as the weight of passengers it can be flexible, given your responsible enough not to bring the kitchen sink with your tackle, as far as sluggish dropping a pitch in prop will remedy that, I have the z20 predecessor z8, and have had much more weight than the limits in it and it still performs well other than hole shot with a top speed prop. I prefer the z8/z20 layout
    Mercury 250 proxs 2B115089

7. Member
    there are several Z21's on the boats for sale page. It's always cheaper to get a 8 month old from the team guys, plus depending on your state, don't have to pay sales tax.

Im 250 lbs, frequently have partners in that same weight range, I would not say the z21 with a 250 is sluggish. I regularly see plus 70 on my 21 with a 250. Now 2 people, 55g of gas and livewells full. Yeah holeshot will suffer on any boat you buy.
    Bryan McDonough
    2023 Nitro Z21 XL
    Nitro Team

9. Member
    You will never regret going with the Z21. Plenty of room and storage and the 250 is more then enough power for this boat. I've had mine for about 2 months now. Very happy ...especially with the ride of the boat. Brian

10. Member
    I have had my 2016 z21 since March of this year. It has been a great boat. Ton of storage, handles really well. Plenty fast for me at 71-72 in clean water, 68 trny load. Good hole shot as any boat I've fished out of with full wells and tournament load with 2 fisherman. Running Fury4 24p prop, changed from a 26p tempest that was on it.

11. Moderator
    i over on grand you can run my z21 if you want .

12. Member
    I have its older brother the Z9 and its not a dog at all she runs 69-71 with 2 guys and a load. And in big water its night and day and like others have said i have so much storage even the sliders under the consoles its insane.
    ~ 2010 Skeeter 20i Class
    ~ Spiralite Custom Fishing Rods
    ~ MarineBassAnglers
    ~ Peregrine 250 Boat Products

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tzx200 View Post
    I have its older brother the Z9 and its not a dog at all she runs 69-71 with 2 guys and a load. And in big water its night and day and like others have said i have so much storage even the sliders under the consoles its insane.
    i agree.. I have a Z9 also and the storage is awesome!