Tennessee archery opens tomorrow....

Anyone got one tied to a tree? Not just Tennessee but anywhere. Think we've all been a lil ho hum this year for some reason.. I can't shoot my Mathews this go around because of this freaking shoulder so I been chasing this old Horton of mine all over the Target... It's got one of those, had, adjustable mounts for the single red dot... It was so loose when I put a regular scope and rail on it it was throwing bolts everywhere... Finally got enough screws and bolts in it to hold it nice and snug... It looks terrible but for a old Horton that belonged to a old hunting buddy who passed away in Aug 08, it fits... Manufactured date on this thing is 05... And it looks it...
    MattandAmber Lawler on Facebook
    Matt Lawler HF on Facebook
    matt_lawler_hf on Instagram

"There ain't a price on stupid. Stupid comes for free."

Jonathan Hillstrand

2. Member
    Ours starts next weekend. According to the tracks I've been seeing, not many deer but a whole crap load of pigs. Stuck a camera on the trail and pigs travel it all day so may be loading up on wild hog

Matt these 90 degree days are a bummer. One reason I quit bow hunting. Way to hot for me.

4. Member
    Kentucky bow season has been in for 3 weeks. Way too hot for me to hunt. We did have some really nice weather one week, but I had too much to do.

Seen a few does and fawns opening morning and a bunch of turkeys.... Skipped this morning... Gonna giver try this afternoon and see what I can find...

Jonathan Hillstrand

6. Member
    I used to bow hunt in TN a lot in the late 90's. I used to love to scout and find those first white oak trees that the deer where feeding on.

Yep there's a ton of them filling right now.... Where I hunt that's Good thing meaning they got plenty to eat but it's a bad thing meaning they got plenty to eat.. out of my 900 acre club, there's about 100 acres of fields some in row crop and some not, 211 acres of about 10 year old pines and the rest in mature hardwoods....... Makes it very difficult sometimes..

Jonathan Hillstrand

8. Member
    Went fishing instead. Waiting on cooler weather. That and I got a new to me Stratos Thursday.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mrlawler1 View Post
    Yep there's a ton of them filling right now.... Where I hunt that's Good thing meaning they got plenty to eat but it's a bad thing meaning they got plenty to eat.. out of my 900 acre club, there's about 100 acres of fields some in row crop and some not, 211 acres of about 10 year old pines and the rest in mature hardwoods....... Makes it very difficult sometimes..
    That was always the key. Find the first ones dropping that the deer started feeding on. When they all started dropping I tried to hunt funnels or pinch point in the hardwoods.

Seen a handful this evening, one lil buck...4 big does reach with one or 2 fawns still quite red with spots.. Starting to lose that red though.. . Thought about taking me a turkey home for supper... One of gobblers would've come a little closer I would've letter rip...

Jonathan Hillstrand

11. Member
    Blue Tongue is hitting NE TN and SW Virginia hard the last month or so......deer laying everywhere it seems and the stench is unreal during these 80-90 degree days. It is not going to be a good season for a lot of our hunters.

It's been a few years since we've had an outbreak... The deer that survive the fever pass that immunity down but it only last so many generations before another outbreak.. But it usually only comes is seasons of drought... Was kinda surprised we didn't have an outbreak last year ... Hate y'all are going thru one... What's the weather been like for y'all...

Jonathan Hillstrand

13. Member
    Excessive rain and mild temps in the spring until July. Very little rain and 85-95 degree days for the most part from then until now. It hasn't rained at my house in 3 weeks.

Has a front move thru and cool lot off a little and I've seen tons the last few evenings... Had 18 out Thursday eve... One pretty lil 14-15 inch 8 point that took his time and made sure he proved to the other 5 bucks that he was bigger than they were... Acorns everywhere here... Got some really healthy looking deer on camera just nothing that really stands out this year so far.. and I absolutely hate having to lug this old Horton around... It is very accurate now after a lot of tinkering but big and bulky and very heavy... Hope one of these days I can get back to my Mathews...

Jonathan Hillstrand