Water in lower unit on motorguide

I had to replace the brush card in my motorguide 109 36v digital trolling motor. I ordered new front and rear seals and new seals for the 2 long bolts that hold the sections together as well as the two screws that screw into the SE Module. I tested it in the garage and it worked great. When I took it on the lake, water got into it. Any idea what I did wrong?

2. Member
    You didn't mention the large O-ring that seals the motor housing.

3. Member
    did you replace the prop shaft seals.
    BBC Sponsor since 2006: (870) 773-3474
    Mon - Thrs 8am - 5pm Central
    Friday 8am-12pm
    Garmin Certified Dealer and Installers: Call us for all your Garmin Electronics needs!
    ASC for: Garmin, Lowrance, Minnkota, Humminbird, and Powerpole.
    [SIGPIC] http://www.jonestrollingmotor.com
    [/SIGPIC]

4. Member
    No, I didn't replace the shaft seals. The schematic diagram I was looking at didnt show any. Are they located in the housing that has the skeg? You wouldn't have a part number, would you? My serial number is 9D163159 . I was also wondering if the bolts that hold the housing together has any torque specs or should I tighten it as far as it will go?

5. Member
    Not sure of the part number. I sell a repair kit from Motorguide that contains brush springs, O rings, Prop shaft seals, armature thrust washers and brush end bushing.
    BBC Sponsor since 2006: (870) 773-3474
    Mon - Thrs 8am - 5pm Central
    Friday 8am-12pm
    Garmin Certified Dealer and Installers: Call us for all your Garmin Electronics needs!
    ASC for: Garmin, Lowrance, Minnkota, Humminbird, and Powerpole.
    [SIGPIC] http://www.jonestrollingmotor.com
    [/SIGPIC]

6. Member
    I just went back and looked at the schematic and I just overlooked that seal. I ordered the big O rings front and back, the seals for the bolts and screws, but I didn't see that seal in the drawing. I have an order placed with the local guy here and I will try to add it to that order. Do you know if there are torque specs for the bolts or do you just tighten them?

7. Member
    6 in/#