Living the good life on Lake Hartwell, Fair Play, SC

fishing hartwell next 2 weeks.............

Got on the lake Wednesday and put in 3 days so far. I've found it to be a bit tough Caught a few but worked all day for them. Lots of top water early AM which produced a lot of "blowups" but no hook ups. Water temps are 83+ which is nice for swimming which I've dunked a few times.. did run on up to the clemson marina and fished the deep shoreline right before it and caught a nice LM (3.6LB) on a spinner bait casting alongshore.

All my blowups occurred over a brush pile. thought hmmmmm....grabbed the spinnerbait and fan casted over the waypoints marking brush piles and I started catching some spots. 2 LB's not bad.

So my question: I've never been here in the summer always this time of year and I've never seen the water temp this high. is this still summertime fishing here at hartwell? since I've never been here before September I have no idea what the normal summer temps are. But I'm guessing the fish are still in summer pattern. i did find a few shallow but they were bank runners.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated.
    2013 Allison XB-21 BasSport Pro
    2023 Mercury Racing 300R
    Bravo FS 30P
    ProMax 30P

2. Member
    Nice hope you enjoy your self .

3. Member
    Where are you staying?
    I'll be there at daylight tomorrow putting in at the state park at the I85 bridge. I'll be in a green and white Stroker. I'll be fishing that area, the back of fair play creek, and the 1st 2 creeks on the right going south below the I85 bridge.
    Find me and I'll help what I can, at least some techniques that work on Hartwell.

4. Member
    john, you're putting in on the tugaloo at the 85 bridge then running down lake and on up the fairplay creek? I was thinking of running up the tugaloo and into that big arm before the 85 bridge. Behind that island andpast the big set of docks back on the right going in. I've done well up the fairplay creek in the cove next to t he launch before the bridge. I'll look for you.

We are staying on the upper side of Sadlers creek
    2023 Mercury Racing 300R
    Bravo FS 30P
    ProMax 30P

5. Member
    Hope to finally meet you tomorrow. The past years a conflict always came up. Good luck.

6. Member
    I looked for you today. I was all over up near that bridge above and below.

I started catching fish. i put down the dumb top water...they only toss it in the air anyway, and they're busting just out of reach...put down my trusty drop shot....never thought I'd ever say that....pulled out my carolina rod....changed to a 8LB leader (12LB still on from Watts Bar rally) and a 4" zoom and started catching fish. the spinner bait works better if i see soom busting close by. Cast it out as far as possible and reel it just under the surface. Man do they ever slam that and usually a few with the one hooked and always bigger.

had about a dozen or so up to a little over 2LB
    2023 Mercury Racing 300R
    Bravo FS 30P
    ProMax 30P

7. Member
    Still sounds better than the fishing back home :)

8. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Swarmin' Hornet.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AllyFishing View Post
    I looked for you today. I was all over up near that bridge above and below.

I started catching fish. i put down the dumb top water...they only toss it in the air anyway, and they're busting just out of reach...put down my trusty drop shot....never thought I'd ever say that....pulled out my carolina rod....changed to a 8LB leader (12LB still on from Watts Bar rally) and a 4" zoom and started catching fish. the spinner bait works better if i see soom busting close by. Cast it out as far as possible and reel it just under the surface. Man do they ever slam that and usually a few with the one hooked and always bigger.

had about a dozen or so up to a little over 2LB
    I was there from 6:30 am to 10:30 am, went looking for your too. Missed over a dozen on buzzbaits early, then started catching them on buzzbait and crankbaits in the backs of creeks with some stain too them. Visited 5 creeks, 3 full of bait and bass, 2 empty. Pattern was stain with deep part at least 6' deep. Wound up with 6 keepers up to 3.5 lbs. Rapala DT6, medium size KVD square bill, and whit blade buzzbait with white 4" boottail body, no skirt. Strange but no other combo worked. Left the lake at 1pm. I caught my 5th double, this one on a crank bait. Redneck Canadian with me was shocked. Never saw a double before.
    I also tried for the schoolers, some on the hump across from fair play ramp, but couldn't get any of them.
    From what I saw, after the next cold front, the creek backs should be loaded. The 3 I visited with shad, were slam loaded with shad. Wish I had your Phone # yesterday.

I'm headed up there this weekend. The wife and I are gonna fish on Saturday. I've never been so I'm hoping for a great experience and hopefully to put my wife on some spotted bass.

11. Member
    Your results on the 22nd are better than most lately. BFL was 10 lbs or better making the cut...and there were 13 of those sacks in the top 23..so sounds like your on 'em.

12. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PeanutMan View Post
    Your results on the 22nd are better than most lately. BFL was 10 lbs or better making the cut...and there were 13 of those sacks in the top 23..so sounds like your on 'em.
    What's happening Jeff?? Long time no hear. You keeping the homeless man busy?

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ChampioNman View Post
    What's happening Jeff?? Long time no hear. You keeping the homeless man busy?
    I'm still here CM!! Jimmy's still gettin out there once in a while with Bill..but haven't talked with him in a while.
    Visited your pond today...still tough!..felt like summer..but managed to get stretched a little
    Take care and good to hear from you Buddy!