Thread: Transom Cap

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Transom Cap

Any tips for resealing the transom top cap?
    Should I just use life Calk around perimeter and pull and reseal screws or should I pull the cap?....would pulling it damage any of the gelcoat?
    2005 206
    BRP 225 H.O. (E225DHLSOF)
    Fury 4 24p @ 5,750 fully loaded

2. Pat Goff
    Depends on the year your boat was built.
    Pat Goff

Two degrees from center
    of nowhere.
    Smithwick TX.

[SIGPIC][<a href=http://www.bbcboards.net/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=583&dateline=1498828542/SIGPIC] target=_blank>http://www.bbcboards.net/image.php?t...828542/SIGPIC]</a>

3. Champion Boats Moderator Lea's Avatar
    What do you mean, Pat? Explain how the different years will need different sealants or whatever, please !

4. Banned
    I'd sure like to know what all is built into the top cap of a 2005 model. Are the livewells built into the top cap or are they anchored to the hull. I've been trying to think of a way to split mine, but too many unknowns to just start pulling stuff apart.

5. Pat Goff
    I am not versed enough on Tennessee boats but earlier Arkansas boats were fiberglassed together. Later models were redesigned to use sikaflex to join cap to hull. If you're just keeping water out GE silicone would be my choice, something with a bit of flow to get into all the places it needs to. 4200 is too thick for me on that job.
    Pat Goff

Two degrees from center
    of nowhere.
    Smithwick TX.

[SIGPIC][<a href=http://www.bbcboards.net/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=583&dateline=1498828542/SIGPIC] target=_blank>http://www.bbcboards.net/image.php?t...828542/SIGPIC]</a>

6. Champion Boats Moderator Lea's Avatar
    Grout, what do you mean "split" yours? Don't you have the divider? My 05 does. If you are referrig to making it into two separate wells, that would be VERY complex. Over flow, pump out, aerator and Hydro systems, etc.... And that is only IF it could be done....

7. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Lea View Post
    Grout, what do you mean "split" yours? Don't you have the divider? My 05 does. If you are referrig to making it into two separate wells, that would be VERY complex. Over flow, pump out, aerator and Hydro systems, etc.... And that is only IF it could be done....

Lol, I meant split the boat into 2 pieces so I can go after my wet foam. If I knew how it was made, I could make a plan. I have asked on numerous sites on the internet & Facebook and nobody seems to have been into one of these hulls. If I could take the topcap off, I'd fix this thing myself.

I just don't know what all is attached to the top cap.

8. Member
    Mag, are you referring to the trim strip at the stern capping the edge, or do you mean the joint between the hull and top cap? If you're talking abou the trim strip, I used a piece of aluminum angle. I used the old OEM piece as a template and drilled/chamfered the holes. I used 4200 around the perimeter, and each screw hole. Each stainless screw then got 4200 on it as well. The only drawback was that the aluminum angle was about .015 thicker than the stock trim. It made the end caps somewhat difficult to get back on right. I had to grind some off of the aluminum strip to thin it down. BTW, there was just enough room at the top of my jack plate to allow the angle to slip in between the transom and the top edge of the plate.

9. 80.3 mph and squeezing bruce''s Avatar
    Grout Scout
    Call Johnson fiberglass in Burlesson He has done several

I have seen them done

seem to me they were set on top of the hull and there are screws around the cap into the hull. along with some kind of sealer.
    Fishing Texas lakes one at a time
    2000 Baltex hull 202 Elite Champion
    2016 250 pro
    8 inch Hydraulic Jack Plate
    tempest 27 work by Steve
    Hook sets are fishing reality.

10. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by bruce' View Post
    Grout Scout
    Call Johnson fiberglass in Burlesson He has done several

I have seen them done

seem to me they were set on top of the hull and there are screws around the cap into the hull. along with some kind of sealer.

I'll give them a call when I get a chance, thanks.

11. Champion Boats Moderator Lea's Avatar
    Grout...got ya! I was not sure what you meant. Let me know if Johnson's is not able to answer your questions. Former CS Manager at Champion might know....tho Johnson's sure should be able to help!

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by drdriver View Post
    Mag, are you referring to the trim strip at the stern capping the edge, or do you mean the joint between the hull and top cap? If you're talking abou the trim strip, I used a piece of aluminum angle. I used the old OEM piece as a template and drilled/chamfered the holes. I used 4200 around the perimeter, and each screw hole. Each stainless screw then got 4200 on it as well. The only drawback was that the aluminum angle was about .015 thicker than the stock trim. It made the end caps somewhat difficult to get back on right. I had to grind some off of the aluminum strip to thin it down. BTW, there was just enough room at the top of my jack plate to allow the angle to slip in between the transom and the top edge of the plate.
    Just the stainless trim piece with 2 end caps. Why did you replace with a new alum piece?
    2005 206

13. Member
    Couldn't find the OEM stainless strip. It was bent beyond repair from the previous owners attempt to re-seal. Also thought the thicker aluminum piece would add some rigidity and reduce any flex, thus enhancing the ability of the sealant to remain impervious to water intrusion.

14. Member
    Pulled the trim and no sealant....but also looks to impervious to water.
    Ended up just sealing just the screw holes with life caulk and throwing it back on. Wonder why some have exposed wood and some don't???
    2005 206

I sealed mine around the outside. Couldn't get it off without pulling the motor.
    25th Anniversary Champion 187 SCX Elite
    Mercury 175 EFI
    Perception Pescador Pro 120 Kayak
    Aquos 10ft Pontoon Boat

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Royjulius View Post
    I sealed mine around the outside. Couldn't get it off without pulling the motor.
    This gets me thinking....why not also just seal around the jackplate...instead of pulling motor to reseal???
    2005 206

17. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by magnumb View Post
    This gets me thinking....why not also just seal around the jackplate...instead of pulling motor to reseal???

Because you cant get to the inside of the plate. (Mine has a slot up the middle of it.)

18. Member
    That stinks.
    2005 206

19. Member
    I have a seacast transom(solid composite) and i still seal my transom bolts, even though the seacast does not absorb water.
    Bruce Phillips
    1995 190 DC champion ......1995 200 xri merc

20. Member
    Is that a aftermarket transom for your 1989 176?
    I thought all composite transoms can still absorb water?
    2005 206

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast