Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
  1. Member
    She should have choices after murdering someone. The choices should be what method of death does she prefer for herself.
    Praying for a Cure

Quote Originally Posted by njpaulc View Post
    The test...substitute Islam for Christian....what do you think then

The state is establishing a religious environment in the prison. If the inmates themselves preach, pray or proselytize without support of the prison officials then she has no complaint. Once the prison officials make religion part of the routine of the prison, they are in violation of her rights.
    This. This this this.

I think it's absolutely mind boggling that, in a country that prides itself on "freedom," so many people see nothing wrong with the government supporting a single religion and stamping down others. Freedom of religion was one of the main pillars if not the main pillar upon which America was founded! Yet here we sit.

Take the prison out of it if you want to do so - these same people see nothing wrong with the government creating laws based on that single religion, displaying monuments in support of that single religion, or persecuting its citizens in the name of that single religion. And before you make assumptions: I'm someone who generally considers myself a follower of that single religion, though sometimes its hard when other followers of that single religion take it upon themselves to pass judgment in spite of what the sacred texts say.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DrewFlu33 View Post
    This. This this this.

I think it's absolutely mind boggling that, in a country that prides itself on "freedom," so many people see nothing wrong with the government supporting a single religion and stamping down others. Freedom of religion was one of the main pillars if not the main pillar upon which America was founded! Yet here we sit.

Take the prison out of it if you want to do so - these same people see nothing wrong with the government creating laws based on that single religion, displaying monuments in support of that single religion, or persecuting its citizens in the name of that single religion. And before you make assumptions: I'm someone who generally considers myself a follower of that single religion, though sometimes its hard when other followers of that single religion take it upon themselves to pass judgment in spite of what the sacred texts say.
    Take a breath, all religions are practiced if that's what the inmates want, Islam is a big one in this particular Prison. The suit is singling out The Christians I believe as no other religion was named in the article.

4. Ft Gibson Lake America lakefolk's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by D.O.C. 989 View Post
    Take a breath, all religions are practiced if that's what the inmates want, Islam is a big one in this particular Prison. The suit is singling out The Christians I believe as no other religion was named in the article.
    wrong,,, the suit is singling out the state sponsored christian religion

"Being a winner is more than getting a first place trophy, it is acting like the effort was an honor and the trophy is just a decoration."

"A successful man is one who can lay a firm foundation with the bricks others have thrown at him"

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lakefolk View Post
    wrong,,, the suit is singling out the state sponsored christian religion
    The State sponsors nothing. The different religions are given an area to use, participation is not mandatory and you are not punished if you do not wish to attend. You would be punished if you interfered with the participating group. There are several religions being practiced and the service is all volunteer and has been requested by inmates, the State grants the requests as a Religious impartial body. If she asked for an area to practice her "religion" the State would grant that request. Native Americans have an area for Sweat Lodge and no religion has been denied to practice unless it was a security risk. The State neither condones nor condems any reasonable request. She has no paperwork to show any abuse or complaints by her up to this point. NO staff member would be kept if they forced Religion on an inmate.

6. Member
    People have completely screwed up the interpretation of the separation of church and state. It was NEVER meant to keep religion out of government, it was meant to keep the government from screwing with religion. As long as know one is forcing her to practice a religion and allowing her to practice her religion there shouldn't be a problem.

7. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by kry29 View Post
    People have completely screwed up the interpretation of the separation of church and state. It was NEVER meant to keep religion out of government, it was meant to keep the government from screwing with religion. As long as know one is forcing her to practice a religion and allowing her to practice her religion there shouldn't be a problem.
    Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion... this part right here plainly disproves your interpretation. Religion is just made up fairy tales to control people anyway, it has no place in government.

Quote Originally Posted by Gamblinman View Post
    She murdered her husband...maybe she could use a little religion.
    Would you say that is they were pushing Islam? The point is that we are protected from the government force a religion upon us. Prisoners do lose some rights by virtue of being incercerated but not all.
    Bruce
    2019 20 TRX Patriot
    Mercury 250 ProXS Fourstroke
    HDS 12 Live - Console
    HDS 9 Live - Bow

9. Member
    Spotsylvania, Va. 22553. Near Frederi mm lcksburg, Va
    " Establishment of religion". That means the Govt cannot create nor promote a particular religion. It does not prohibit the exercise of religion in Govt. Institutions.
    If Christianity is practiced along with others as a personal choice its doubtful she will prevail.
    The particulars of how much is being "forced" is lacking in the article. So the jury is out ..

Sorry, but this statement proves you don't understand the topic. The Constitution does not establish a separation of church and state. That phrase was used as an explanation for the philosophy behind the 1st Amendment. Someone else quoted 1A so I won't but that statement specifically says the government must stay out of religion.
    Bruce
    2019 20 TRX Patriot
    HDS 12 Live - Console
    HDS 9 Live - Bow

11. Banned
    The witness has rights!!

12. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by hugo_stiglitz View Post
    Religion is essentially fallacy anyway in that it is based on nothing more than belief.
    Not Christianity. There is recorded history.

13. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by warcry View Post
    Not Christianity. There is recorded history.
    No there is not recorded history that proves the divinity of its namesake. There is recorded history of his existence. But there is recorded history of muhammads existence as well, i guess you consider his teachings as equally valid? No? Hahaha

14. Member
    The lawyers are the problem. They desperately need money and that is why she is suing.

15. Member
    Her only right is her choice of her last meal
    Should have been already put down.
    "No man stands taller than one who stoops to help a child"

16. Member
    Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion... this part right here plainly disproves your interpretation. Religion is just made up fairy tales to control people anyway, it has no place in government.
    No, it proves my statement.

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by berudd View Post
    Sorry, but this statement proves you don't understand the topic. The Constitution does not establish a separation of church and state. That phrase was used as an explanation for the philosophy behind the 1st Amendment. Someone else quoted 1A so I won't but that statement specifically says the government must stay out of religion.
    Which is exactly what I said. Government can't go screwing around in religion, exactly what I said. BUT, big BUT, that doesn't mean that there can't be religion in the government. If we didn't have religion in the government we wouldn't even have the laws we started with, we wouldn't have had a church IN the whitehouse, wouldn't have held prayer before EVERY congressional meeting, wouldn't have ANY moral basis in which to live by. So no, government can't go making laws to promote a single religion but it doesn't mean they can't use their religion as a basis. So yes, there can be religion in government, there always has been
    Last edited by kry29; 09-23-2017 at 09:35 AM.

18. Member
    No there is not recorded history that proves the divinity of its namesake. There is recorded history of his existence. But there is recorded history of muhammads existence as well, i guess you consider his teachings as equally valid? No? Hahaha
    The same could be said for our history books yet you believe those. What's the difference?

The same could be said for our history books yet you believe those. What's the difference?
    History books have multiple corroborating sources. Well, they used to. Seem a few tend to get rewritten here and there.
    Bruce
    2019 20 TRX Patriot
    HDS 12 Live - Console
    HDS 9 Live - Bow

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by berudd View Post
    History books have multiple corroborating sources. Well, they used to. Seem a few tend to get rewritten here and there.
    The bible is made of different books with corroborating stories. I won't argue that it doesn't take faith to believe it all, it does. It just takes more to try and refute it if you lay it all out there. I've said this before but I'm not some great apologist and can't answer all the arguments, personally I don't need to, I believe what I know to be true, same as everyone else. There are plenty of places easily accessible if someone wants to learn as little or as much as they would like. I also know where this thread will start heading and how it will end up, the same as always

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast